New Zooz ZEN16 Multirelay

@Levahj Not sure if Zooz has anything else in the works but I am going to be working on a driver as soon as I can! I have been super busy with work recently and have not had time for side projects.

If they do put one out for SmartThings I can also borrow that and port it over to get people going.

1 Like

Would relay this be a good choice to control one of these?

That would be great as I dont have the skills to build a driver. If you can ping me when you have built a driver I can be your Beta tester!

1 Like

I am not 100% certain as I did not see any directions on how to use that device but it looks like any dry contact zwave relay will work. You would not need this new Zooz device as the ZEN16 already in production would work. The ZEN16 has three dry contact relays and you would only need to use one of them so a bit of an overkill but you could use the other two relays for pool lights or something else.

1 Like

Those valve actuators are 3-wire and will need two relays per actuator. One wire is common, the other two wires control direction. I have the actual Jandy ones, and the pic doesn't show it, but there might be a switch that reverses the leads. So you can't say that one wire rotates left while the other rotates right. It might, but it could easily be reversed. :slight_smile:

They are intermittent use motors too.. you can't just set "go left" and leave that relay on. 99% of the time, both relays must be off.

I made my own pool controller with a Pump Contactor (30amp 240vac) and a pair of those Jandy Actuators. I also have a relay control a Heater too. I chose to use a Raspberry Pi for it, since it's rather standalone and I'd been programming one when I got the idea to build my own Pool Controller. :slight_smile: I basically have "scenes" programmed into the rPi... OFF, Clean, Water Feature ON, Heat.

I call it a scene because to have the water feature on, not only does that Jandy actuator need to be in the right position, but the Pump has to be on too. Heat requires the pump go off after the heater been turned off to cool down the heater core. It's all very simple, but fun when it works.

I decided I didn't want to expand a ZWave (or Zigbee) mesh out to the pool equipment area. Your needs are different, I hope. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you for the comments!

I started a new topic for this project here:

For anyone still looking for the new ZEN17 Universal Relay, it's already available at The Smartest House (promo price since it's a beta release!).

3 Likes

I am going to purchase right now. @agnes.zooz just two questions:

1. Do you have a device handler yet for it?
  2. Will this work like the FortrezZ Mimo2+ where the two switch contacts will be able to monitor things separately while also being able to use the two relays to at the same time?

No driver yet but @bcopeland is working on a built-in driver that should be available soon.

You can monitor the 2 inputs separately from controlling the 2 relays :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great news - order placed - thank you!

I may need to wait for a wee bit warmer weather before doing my actual install, but I am psyched - I think this will be perfect for how I'd like to set up my garage door!

1 Like

Yea! I have a Mimo2+ for a water valve application and Smartthings broke the custom DTH with all their crazy changes. Moved to Hubitat and their built in driver works the relays but I cannot get it to recognize state changes from the two sensors. They have not been responsive when I sent a request to look into it. Looking to replace the Mimo2+ with your device :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 of the sensor types can't be separated from the output even with the config set to treat them separately .. So those modes won't have separate children.. But the ones that do function separately will have separate sensor children from relay control..

4 Likes

You've peaked my interest now. From the description of the device I thought there were only two sensor types. A switched sensor (where you just short out the leads to initiate a closed sensor/contact) and one where you apply voltage (12-24v per the marketing spec) .

Mine is in transit now so hopefully it will make more sense when I can play with it a bit.

@bcopeland - When will we being seeing the driver for this device?

It's been a little while, but with @jtp10181 's help I was able to do the multi channel associations to the Zooz Zen34 push button. Have not applied this to anything real world yet.

Are you saying that there will the ability to define each relay and input as different type of child? For example, Hubduino allows you to define a relay as momentary or on/off switch, or a different type of device, such as a siren, or combined with an dry contact input as a garage door.

1 Like

I think/hope I'm sorta understanding this.

For each of the 2 "inputs", you can select one of the following "types" of inputs:

0 - Momentary
1 - Toggle Switch (toggle up/toggle down)
2 - Toggle Switch (toggles with each contact)
3 - Garage Door
4 - Leak alarm
5 - Heat alarm
6 - Motion alert
7 - Open/close alert (door sensor)
8 - CO alarm
9 - CO2 alarm
10 - On/off report (dry contact switch/sensor)

Apparently of those 10 choices, five of them are "bound" to the relay so they don't get a separate "child" device, while the other 5 will operation totally independently of the associated relay.

I'm just not sure which 5 are bound to the relay.

My guess: 0, 1, 2, 3 are tied to the relay (the instructions state that choosing 4-10 requires you to exclude/re-include the device to create the proper child device).

However, that puts my guess off by 1 from what @bcopeland said--so, maybe he can chime in and clarify.

I'm kinda interested, because that's a lot more flexible than my current Zooz MR gizmo (where the 3 inputs and relays are locked together).

2 Likes

These are tied to the relays since they're meant to be used as physical control of the connected load. I hope that helps!

1 Like

Just FYI to all watching the z17 stuff here, I started a new thread for that device here...

Cheers!

Just a screw that I added in with a washer under it to make my own standoff...and there is a good chance the screws I was using were a bit too long for this application once I added the nut on the back. This would have made the box stand too far out from the wall and I didn't want to cut my screw (I repurpose a lot of stuff, so I don't want to cut my screws).

I do not recall the precise screws I used to mount to the box, I just used what I had laying around with the wiring blocks.

Zooz items on sale until April 27th

2 Likes