New Tradfri Dimmer

Just noticed IKEA have released a new dimmer @ £6, has anyone got one to work with HE yet?

1 Like

Looks identical to the "switch" that comes with their outlet kit: TRÅDFRI Control outlet kit - IKEA. In that case, the switch/remote wasn't compatible--unlike some of their other not-entirely compatible devices, I wasn't even able to get that to pair to my hub (just to get it on the network--it wouldn't be usuable per se) and then link it to an outlet on the same network, though I didn't try very hard and I'm not sure if others have had any different luck since.

I'm not sure if this is the same since it's sold separately and also marketed for dimming, but regardless, I wouldn't have high hopes, just like I don't with most of their offerings. :slight_smile:

Was that outlet switch even Zigbee? From the look of it it's paired directly to the socket as it doesn't need the hub.

The new wireless dimmer needs to pair to the Tradfri hub in the same way as the Ikea sound controller, which works really well connected to HE. It looks like it has 2 buttons, on/off, and hold up/down for dimming.

I can buy one and try but haven't got a clue where to start. Do I just need to try pair it?

The new dimmer pairs with HE, I presume it now needs a custom driver?

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 22
  • softwareBuild: 2.2.008
  • inClusters: 0000,0001,0003,0009,0020,1000,FC7C
  • outClusters: 0003,0004,0006,0008,0019,0102,1000
  • model: TRADFRI on/off switch
  • manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden

You would, but the other question is whether it works. If it pairs, there's hope, but no guarantee. If you leave it as "Device" and press the buttons (or otherwise do things where the device should be sending something to the hub if it's designed to do so), do you see anything in Logs? I'm pretty sure the "Device" driver is supposed to log whatever gets sent for parsing, even though it doesn't actually do anything. (Staff could confirm or deny this.)

If not, it probably is using a payload type Hubitat doesn't currently support. A lot of Ikea's other devices, for example, use group broadcasting only, so the hub won't receive anything.

No, I don't see anything in Logs.

Not promising then. I forget how the outlet on/off switch paired, but I remember it being kind of similar and not working for the reason above.

I'll keep it a while and see if anyone works it out. Or if I find time to get my head around drivers i'll try do it myself.

Sorry to say that if the above is correct, it's not a driver issue--it's the way the device was designed to work, communicating directly to the devices without involving the hub. (I'm pretty sure the "Device" driver is supposed to log everything it gets, even though it will, of course, do nothing else with it.)

Unlike Z-Wave devices where pretty much everything is sent to the hub using association group 1, which is setup during the initialization process, Zigbee devices for the most part require specific bindings to the clusters of interest in order for the device to report on its own, the "Device" driver doesn't do any of this.
So a given Zigbee device not producing any logs using the default Device isn't an indication of what the device can or can't produce...

4 Likes

Ah, so there's hope. It's a neat little unit, about half the size of the Hue dimmer, about same size as the IKEA sound button, would be great if it could work.

There is little interest here from the staff for the wildly popular and accessible Ikea devices.

No worries though. Many major popular hubs support these devices such as the Ikea hub, Hue hub, Smartthings hub, home assistant with deCONZ or zigbee2mqtt. There are many options to connect theses Ikea devices to one of those hubs and communicate with Hubitat. Of course not ideal.

Then of course to add to the confusion as some Ikea devices work with community drivers or with generic drivers.

But until the team recognizes the demand for these cheap, easily accessible devices or the community develops a solution. The only recommendation is the competition currently.

5 Likes

Trying to get rid of the hubs. If all fails I'll just use the symfonisk remote instead.

Considering the low cost and worldwide
avalibilty of the Ikea lineup I hope they will see fit to provide better support. Smartthings put in support for Zigbee group messaging so Hubitat is not at parity in the Zigbee implementation. The drivers @mike.maxwellhas written do seem to have a lot of features avalible which is nice.

We have had outbound zigbee group messaging for over a year, I don't believe ST has this even now.

We don't support inbound group messaging, so yeah there is that.

Ikea is the only current device manufacturer that I'm aware of that requires group messaging support on the coordinator for some of their devices, not all of them, just some of them.

This simple fact, along with the fact that virtually every single device (bulbs aside) that Ikea produces works differently, even if they have similar capabilities, basically each one requires a ground up dedicated driver...

I have a pile of devices yet to support where the firmware wasn't written by 6 different committees, and or a group of toddlers, my time is best spent there.

Once I get through these conforming firmware devices, maybe at some time in the future we can revisit inbound group message configuration and support, in the mean time wonkey device support from Ikea's collection is not a priority.

7 Likes

@rhodesda I just picked up one of these remote dimmers from Ikea this weekend in a kit with a bulb from Ikea, did you ever get your remote working?

I've successfully paired it with my HE but like you I don't see anything in my log.

I'm only had my HE for about a week now so please excuse my ignorance if this has already been discussed to death.

No sorry, didn't get it working.

Would be really nice if it worked... :slight_smile:

I tried to get the driver from ST ported over but was never able to get anything but battery reports. That's where I have mine connected now.

Yes, as this is so inexpensive, I think it would be really good if this could be made to work.

1 Like