New Thermostat lots of "debug" in logs

Yesterday I installed a Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave thermostat. I have noticed a lot of "debug" in the logs for this device. Screenshot below. Is all this OK or do I have a issue. It seems to work but I had to run the rule twice to get the thermostat to change the setpoint to 70 this morning. I have installed the Thermostat Controller and scheduler but I am not using them for this automation. Thermostat is set to "free". Hubitat Version 2.3.3.130

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 7.09.17 AM

Is the "Enable debug logging" option turned on for this device (on its device detail page)? It looks like it, and turning that off should help. Normally it only stays enabled for 30 minutes after adding the device or manually enabling the setting, but it's possible that got missed somehow.

Yes, it is on and I shut it off. I don't see how this will change anything. Won't it just stop reporting the problem?

Debug messages aren't "problems", necessarily. They are more often just messages for the driver developer to see what's happening as the code executes.

2 Likes

It isn't reporting a problem. Those would be errors or warnings in the logs.

Oh, I see. I don't understand, but I believe you. I am 63 years old and for most of my life if you had to debug something, it was a problem.

1 Like

No warnings or errors. I am concerned that I had to run my good morning rule twice to get the thermostat to change.

The most likely issue in this situation is an inadequate z-wave mesh. Where commands sent to the thermostat were not received by the thermostat.

I have done some research on the Z Wave mesh and found that the thermostat is linked directly to the Hub. These units are about 20 feet from each other and through one wall (plaster and lats-old house). I did notice that it has S2 unauthenticated security. I don't know if this matters or not.
It seems like I should have a good connection.

Hey Guys, I am still having problems with this thermostat. It seems that I have to run the rules associated with the thermostat twice before the thermostat will change setpoint temperatures. If you look at my good morning rule above, shouldn't it work correctly? I don't understand why I have to run the rule twice to make it work. Also what is the difference between ThermostatSetpoint, HeatingSetpoint and CoolingSetpoint? I just noticed that if I change the HeatingSetpoint from the devices page I have to press the tile twice to get the HeatingSetpoint to change.

HeatingSetpoint = thermostat set point in Heat mode
CoolingSetpoint = thermostat set point in cool mode
ThermostatSetpoint = current thermostat set point (which depends on what the mode is)

Which driver are you using? There's a built-in driver for the Honeywell T6; in addition, there's a community driver, now maintained by @thebearmay.

Plaster/lath can be a real enemy of z-wave. Are the laths made of wood or metal? Sometimes, plaster walls use a wire-mesh instead of laths, which is also really bad for z-wave.

No wire mesh, just wood laths. The driver is the built in for Honeywell T6.

1 Like

Then I no longer think this is a z-wave transmission issue. I would look elsewhere. Since the issue happens even with commands sent through the device page, my first inclination would be to try a different driver.

if you change drivers, be sure to press "Configure" on the device page.

OK, I will try to change the driver. Where is the community driver located.

The other driver to try is the built-in "Generic Z-Wave Plus Thermostat" driver.

I tried the Generic driver but the same thing happens. I have to do things twice to get the tstat to change. I'm sorry but I am getting very frustrated. I am use to things working better than this. I have just installed the Advanced driver you mentioned and I think it may be working better. I will let you know after further testing.

How is the thermostat paired? With no security or with S2 (authenticated/unauthenticated) or S0?

S2 Unauthenticated. I wish I knew what the difference was.

If it continues to require multiple commands for the thermostat to respond, can you re-pair the thermostat with no security (Security = None)?

I used to have a Honeywell T6, paired with no security, and never had the issues you've described.