New Hub (c8) - Smartthings Contact sensor

well, these are not the uniğts ı have issue with. both contact sensors I have are using Cr2450 battery
And I only have issues with contact sensors. Not leak sensors...

OP never clearly said so, but heā€™s probably trying to use a centralite 3321-S, aka 2015 ST multipurpose sensor.

1 Like

don't have one of those, didn't even know centralite made a multi, i only have the 2017 model

1 Like

Pretty sure itā€™s this:

the initial one was this.
after it got paired , I ordered a never version from centralite as I gave the order address from Amazon above...

I am still struggling with the new C8 hub.
On the C4 hub I didn't have any of these issues.

My latest experience:

On channel 25 : everything seems to work but 2 of my presence sensors do not pair.
On channel 20 : presence sensors pair fine, but my Smarttings sensors (contact & motion sensors) do not report states. (they pair but do not report states)
On channel 18 : every pairing is a pain (most of the time it takes several attempts to pair a device) , but eventually everything works.

So I'm only fine on channel 18 but that means whenever I get a new device, I will struggle.

Why am I having all these trouble ? On the old C4 hub I did not have any of these. So why did I UPGRADE ?
Why did I PAY for this C8 hub ?

update:
I am now trying channel 19
This time, all devices (including the contact sensors and presense sensors) pair well, but 2 motion sensors do not get connected.
They are Smartthings motion sensors and I have other smartthings motion sensors which are paired & working.

update 2:
I shutdown my C8 hub and start C5 hub with channel 19
The motion sensors connect easily to this hub with the same channel (19)
Maybe my C8 is defected.
I need someone from support to get in contact with me and help me diagnose the issue.
I believe C8 should be powerful enough to communicate with all of my devices. Even the C4 could do it.

@danabw , @mike.maxwell , @bobbyD
Please help me.
I really need official help. C8 should be better than C4 and C5, right ?
I keep the C8 zigbee power at 16 , C5 does not have such zigbee power setting. So I am not sure if the zigbee power of these 2 hubs are identical.

The older Centralite/SmartThings devices are very picky on the Zigbee channels. When I moved from ST to HE in Feb/March 2018 I struggled to pair my ST leak sensors and motion sensor when using channel 17. Pairing for each device took forever as mentioned in this post:

This could be why you are struggling with channel 18. 20 has worked well for me, but my Zigbee devices are still on a C7. Just wanted to make you aware of the channel selection for these older devices.

1 Like

@danabw , @mike.maxwell , @bobbyD

important update

Finally I decided to migrate to my older hub (C7) from the new C8 hub.
So restored a C8 local backup on my C7 hub and then re-paired all zigbee devices.
Everything seems to work.
I first tried on channel 19 : everything works.
Then I changed to channel 20 : still everything works !!!

All of my zigbee devices pair easily both on channel 19 and 20
No difficulties , no latency no delay.

I also re-connected my zwave devices. All of them work fine.

So on the C7 every zigbee and zwave device works fine. No exceptions.

Finally my conclusion:
Either the C8 hub that I have is defected, OR C8 is a bad implementation in general. It is not as good as C7 in pairing phase.
Well, since I am not able to receive any response from Hubitat support team, we won't know for sure if my specific C8 is the problem or C8 in general is a HUGE problem.

I really would send this shitty piece of hardware back and get a refund, but I am in Turkey and sending anything out means doing a commercial export and it costs too high.
If support wants to analyze this issue and get a better understanding of what's wrong with their hardware, I would be more than happy to assist.
But I can't go back to C8, I can just shutdown C7 and restart C8 and try to pair one or two specific device which can't pair.

I think your logic is backwards.

Itā€™s more likely your older zigbee devices that are having trouble with the newer zigbee 3.0 coordinator in the C8 hub.

If you think you received a defective unit, you can create a warranty case here.

Your choice, of course.

well, at the end of the day I have a lot of old zigbee devices and I can't replace them all with new devices because Hubitat chose to use a newer (but problematic) coordinator.
C7 hub supports all of my devices (both new and old) , so "for my case" C7 works better.
I regret buying the C8.

I would expect the newer model (C8) be backwards compatible with old devices.

In general, zigbee 3.0 coordinators are backwards compatible, and there are others here that are able to use the devices that youā€™re having trouble with on their C8 hubs.

Something in your environment is apparently different, and I can understand your frustration since itā€™s not obvious after the troubleshooting steps youā€™ve attempted.

If calling the C8 a shitty piece of hardware makes you feel better, then have at it.

This is a good question to ask yourself, actually.

If you were happy with your C7ā€™s performance, but like many of us, you had to have the shiny new model, thatā€™s a risk we all take in disrupting a production environment thatā€™s working well.

Mark,
I assume you don't understand the level of frustration.
Please put your self in my shoes:
I get a new hub with excitement and expectation of better performance and new features (matter etc.)
I migrate ALL of my devices only to see that some of them do not work as expected. The migration takes a whole weekend because of the amount of devices and all those problems with zigbee.
When I report these problems, everyone says I am using wrong zigbee channels AND/OR I have something in my environment.
For several weeks and months, I get no real support , other than community trying to help me.
For this LOOONG period, I struggle with each new device I try to pair.
Some of them still do not pair.
I decide to use a different channel just to make sure. And each new channel I try means a lot of work because some of my devices do not auto connect to the new channel.
I try channel 25 and 20 because they are the advised channels.
None of them really make all devices work.
Finally I decide to use the old C7 hub.
And I see that , with the same environment, and with multiple channels that I try, C7 is performing better.
Not just that it CAN pair with ALL of my devices, it also pairs FASTER.

So , now please think about all this process (from 1 to 7)
Can you understand my frustration ?

I don't have anything causing problems on my environment. Everything is working (and working fast) with the old C7 hub. This C7 hub is also a product of the same company.
So now, how can I prevent calling C8 "a shitty piece of hardware" ?

Please , please , please put yourself in mine, and think.

@marktheknife

The problem on C8 hub is not limited with old devices.
I have a ESP32-c6 Dev kit module which I am trying to build a new sensor with.
This is a very new device from Espressif
On C8 it was being stuck at "initializing" and I always thought that the Espressif's examples were not complete.
On C7 it pairs in about 10 seconds.

see here:

I do understand your frustration and I hope thereā€™s some additional solution forthcoming.

Maybe Mike will have a chance to reply here after he tries to pair the centralite devices he ordered for testing.

I finally got to testing the ezlo branded contact sensor, it joined and operated correctly with a C8 hub.
The units manufactured after Ezlo purchased centralite appear to be exactly the same as the older centralite units.

4 Likes

@mike.maxwell then I believe my C8 is somewhat defected. Maybe there is a problem on the antennas...

Do you have any other zigbee devices joined?

What do you mean ?
I believe you have followed this whole thread. So I guess you know that I have many zigbee devices.
But in any case, here's my answer:
I have a lot of zigbee devices (around 40)
These all work on my C7 hub
but when it comes to C8 hub, most of them work fine, just these Smartthings contact sensors are having problem.

See my private message.

1 Like