New Aqara Zigbee 3.0 occupancy sensor (FP1) looks interesting

That's the Node Descriptor response, that must return Manufacturer Code: 0x115f.
I already tried pushing a 'faked'' response to FP1 in one of my drivers but without success.
FP1 stops sending any events to HE after the initial device announcement packet.

1 Like

And then manufacturers are claiming that "Matter" will change everything and make life easier to do cross platform and all when they can't even just pair and use basic protocols that are already established and well documented. I might be a pessimist here but this does not look good when Aqara and Tuya just don't want to play nice with others.

4 Likes

Because Aliexpress sellers are generally based in mainland China and most likely:

a) have no idea whether or not the Aqara devices they sell are compatible with non-aqara hubs due to software incompatibilities

b) don’t really care if they sell a device to someone in North America that it turns out can’t be used

3 Likes

That's correct, when used with Aqara Zigbee hubs you must select China Mainland as your region.
FP1 (and other Aqara devices) are not listed in Aqara Home or HomeKit if the selected region is Europe or North America.

3 Likes

Any updates on this driver? I was gone for a while... but I am back and can help test. I am in North America. Would love to connect these to Habitat. and then push to HA

Aqara FP1 is now supported in this driver:

4 Likes

Awesome thanks... I'll give it a go

1 Like

What's a good price for this? I found two sellers on aliexpress, but both are US$50.

That's the current price. Here in Europe, it is even more expensive after the 20% VAT that AliExpress sellers add automatically.
There are even more expensive Tuya Human presence sensors, so for a XIaomi/Aqara product which is of good quality this price seems reasonable to me.

3 Likes

I ordered two of these that arrived today. So excited to try them out. Glad there is a driver available to start with. My backup plan is to use the HomeKit hack noted earlier.

2 Likes

Let us know how it went with your FP1 installation. I have two of these in operation for about 3 weeks now and they do their job pretty well, keeping the presence detection very reliably when someone is staying still (or lying down) in the room.

Remember, that you will need to pair the sensors to HE at least twice. When you start seeing in the logs Info messages about the configuration parameters (sensitivity, device internal temperature, etc..) this means the device pairing was successful.

2 Likes

Can these devices detect the presence of a pet? That could be useful to me.

I don’t know, sadly our cat passed away an year ago… probably detection will depend on the size of the pet. And for sure will depend on the sensor placement and direction.

MATTER won't matter when all the big players backing it still want THEIR devices to be walled off from everyone else's devices.

2 Likes

I would be interested in trying one of these, but we have pets (3 dogs and 2 cats) and foster rescue dogs. Our lights would never shut off.. heck even with the ring motion detectors they are on more than I would like.

1 Like

In the comments section of this video, one of the commenters says that "...The challenge with pet and fan movement is still open".

Ignore all the comments that say FP1 motion detection is slow, it is the 'presence' state that locks after 4-5 seconds. The initial motion detection is almost instant. So you don't need additional PIR sensors to turn on the lights automation.

4 Likes

Yup - I agree. I just got mine installed and the driver works like a champ! Had to pair it twice to get it to work, but that wasn't hard to do. And the sensor gives both presence, motion, and temperature readings. It also accurately reports whether you are walking toward or away from the device. It is really super useful. Here's a snapshot of its status from my HousePanel dashboard:

2 Likes

You can experiment with the bi-directional mode as well, I think that the device also reliably recognises whether a person approaches the sensor from left or from the right side. Same when leaving. Could be used to activate different additional lights depending on which side you enter or leave… My imagination was limited to changing the color of a control bulb only…

Don’t trust the temperature readings too much, this device doesn’t have a true dedicated temperature sensor, but reports the chip internal temperature, which may vary depending on the device CPU load.

4 Likes

I too just took delivery of a few and have installed one on my Hubitat C5 where all my zigbee devices live and one on a test install of Home Assistant w/Zigbee2MQTT.

Adding (HE version) to my powder room in conjunction with a Sonoff motion sensor - idea is to keep lights on when "occupied" (usually by me :rofl:).

Did the pairing in place like you suggested for HE, worked great. On HA, only needed one pairing but my "presence" attribute seems stuck for some reason but events etc work fine. Not super important other than for tinkering and discovery.

Thanks again for all your work on this!!! :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I received my 2 FP1 devices a few days ago and I paired them to the hub fine. They appear to work fine.
But they do not show up in rule machine as presence devices .
missing capability "Presence Sensor"
add
capability "Presence Sensor"
to the DH and it works fine

1 Like