New 700 series version of the Zooz 4-in-1 released!

S2 128 IIRC is S0

2 Likes

Look in your z-wave settings page to see what its showing paired as...

As you can see here, my sec is set to none. No chattiness at all..

Forgive if you already know this, but in z-wave settings, "None" for security is different than "S0" although both are generically referred to with terms like "no security" (which can be confusing at first blush).

"None" is more preferable than "S0" in this whole realm of things.

The "zwaveSecurePairingComplete: " row exists when ANY form of Security Protocol is in use. In other words, for No Security, neither "zwaveSecurePairingComplete: " or "S2:" are displayed.

The S2 row in Device Details: Data is as follows:

S2: 131 = S2 Authenticated
S2: 130 = ?
S2: 129 = S2 Unauthenticated (thebearmay)
S2: 128 = S0

(I only use the 3 I've documented, and thus I can't validate what the code is for S2 UnAuthenticated, but I thought it was 130.)

1 Like

Looks like 129

2 Likes

Ahh OK, so I misunderstood what the S2 value meant. Either way I've still seen people say adding them unsecured doesn't help and I am unclear if the 700 series will either. I am just not looking forward to replacing just shy of 10 sensors at $45 a piece for ones that might not perform any differently and the manufacturer still says they're not compatible with the C7... I'll probably at least try the unsecure add first. I have a Nortek stick lying around for when I was debating Home Assistant vs Hubitat to replace ST but Hubitat is far more intuitive coming from ST... so I might be able to use the Nortek stick to add things.

Since I also need a few more either way, if you add the 700 series are you still adding it unsecured? Is it an option with that series where it's not with the 500? Or do you need the z-wave dongle secondary controller workaround either way.

That would be the recommended approach. Because it supports S2, it will prompt you at time of inclusion. You can just bypass the prompt to pair with no security.

1 Like

Its the recommendation of both zooz and HE staff as it eliminates the s0 chatter (s0 can't overwhelm the mesh if it's not being used)

2 Likes

Hi, I'm running into the same issue that @jtp10181 mentioned earlier using the stock driver - motion is detected but immediately set back to inactive. Is it something that's planned to be fixed in the stock driver, or should I just move to Jeff's beta driver?

I wonder if it is a driver issue or a device issue? In the driver screen, there is an « Event » tab that shows the events received by the physical device. See if the Motion is immediately followed by the other. If so, it is because that is what it received (as I understand it).

I don't have my zwave 700 ZSE40s on hubitat, but in zwavejs I see the motion event and then 12-14s later I see the clear event.

So I don't think it is a firmware issue (there is currently only 1 firmware for this device, as confirmed with support).

Of course, the parameter 5 setting may influence this, too. Not sure as I've never changed it from the default of 15s.

What I see is this...

Motion Detected (basic report [yuck] + notification report [yay!]):

2021-11-30 17:40:28.331 INFO ZWAVE: Node 114: value updated: 32-0-currentValue 0 => 255
2021-11-30 17:40:28.338 INFO ZWAVE: Node 114: value updated: 113-0-Home Security-Motion sensor status 0 => 8

Motion Cleared (basic report [yuck] + notification report [yay!]):

2021-11-30 17:40:57.525 INFO ZWAVE: Node 114: value updated: 32-0-currentValue 255 => 0
2021-11-30 17:40:57.537 INFO ZWAVE: Node 114: value updated: 113-0-Home Security-Motion sensor status 8 => 0

No other messages from the device in that timeframe. Based on that, and assuming the OPs device is doing the same thing (debug logs tell all!), then there shouldn't be any reason it is immediately toggling off.

Those are really just events the driver generates, which should basically be a history of things you see (or did) under "Current States" on the main device page. To see what the Z-Wave device is sending to the hub (and possibly something about how the driver seals with that information), debug logging is normally what you're looking for. Not sure if that's what you meant, but just thought I'd mention the difference if not.

That being said, I suspect it should match up unless the device or driver is doing something weird with a certain Z-Wave report or whatnot...but I don't have one (yet--it's on the way!) so can't say anything for sure.

1 Like

Its kind of both but an updated driver would fix it, Zooz kept the same device fingerprint for backward compatibility but missed the mark on a few things which causes issues for the Hubitat driver. I reported what the exact issue is on here somewhere, and also to Zooz so they could possibly fix the device as well. Not sure if Hubitat is going to update the driver @bcopeland ?

My driver has been rock solid for me though, there are a few features I want to fix up and make it a final release posted to HPM. I am out of town for 3 weeks though so might not be until after the holidays.

2 Likes

Did Hubitat fix this driver issue? Does the out of the box driver work with this device?

Not that I am aware of. I have not tested it on 2.3.0 but there was nothing in the release notes about fixing it. This one works though: [DRIVER] Zooz Sensors Advanced (ZSE40, ZSE41, ZSE42, ZSE44)

Thanks for the driver reference. How is the zwave motion detection response rate? I have zigbee now and they are pretty fast.

The ZSE40 is adequate for me, I take a step or two in my office and the light is on before I get to my desk. I have not used Zigbee but people say they are usually faster. The other Zooz one, the ZSE11 (Q sensor) seems to be slow though, others have reported it also. Not sure if its the location I have it in (second floor) or just the sensor.

So it appears the HE driver isn't working for me, it always stays inactive on the device page. I switched to @jtp10181 and it works now, although it seems pretty slow. I really think its a good piece of hardware, just needs some firmware and software fixed up to get it working well. I should add that I am on the latest HE release.

I'm finding the exact opposite speed wise. Mine is instantaneous. How's the rest of your mesh? Mine is paired with no security (reduces overhead)

My mesh is great (or so I think) Everything is working really well with the exception of this Motion Sensor i added and a Zooz Siren. Both added the same day. Also both paired with no security. Here is a snapshot. Might have to zoom in, I may have made it too small to fit it all in one. Which driver are you using?