New 700 series version of the Zooz 4-in-1 released!

Just got an email from @agnes.zooz with the link... Enjoy

9 Likes

Is the range on the 700 better than the 500?

Just a warning if anyone orders one. The existing stock driver for the ZSE40 (4-in-1) does not work correctly due to a couple issues I already let Zooz know about. Not sure if they are going to address in a firmware update to make it reverse compatible to old drivers or not. I do have a custom driver in the works as well (that will work for both the ZSE40 and ZSE40-700 regardless if they make any changes or not) but not sure when it will be done.

Also, I can confirm the issue with sending the motion reports every 7 seconds during active motion is fixed, so this updated device is a lot less chatty than the old one.

In theory I thought the 700 chip was supposed to have better range than the 500? My ZSE40 and ZSE40-700 are both right here in my office about 30ft from the hub and they both do a direct connection most of the time.

10 Likes

I had a bunch of the older Zooz 4in1 sensors and they raised havoc on my and others C-700. Having a stable mesh now, I will wait for other bleeding edge users to attest to their performance. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

I would have expected them to give it a new name, or at least call it V3 instead of Ver 2.0 still... Would have been a little less confusing for consumers and for anyone that might have a problem with a ZSE40 in the future and come post about it.

In any case, I was really hoping these would be introduced at a discount for the first few days like other Zooz products have. I have 3 of these sensors and I really like them and think they're great, but I knew there was compatibility problems so I've held off getting more specifically for the release of the 700 series version.

Also, I can confirm the issue with sending the motion reports every 7 seconds during active motion is fixed, so this updated device is a lot less chatty than the old one.

Does this mean it can report changes in humidity/temp while motion is being detected?

I ordered one, so if you need a beta tester, I'd be glad to do it

2 Likes

Well the 700 shouldn't have the issues the 500 did and that was being force to pair with s0 instead of none and that caused so much chattiness it crippled the mesh. These should by their nature either pair as s2 or present a skip option during pairing that will pair it with no security. Either fixes the issue

3 Likes

I don't know if the pairing protocol selection is handled by HE or the device? If HE, it might be a S2 only and I only have my locks with that security protocol overhead.

I am fine with 'none' for all my other Z-Wave devices and sometimes include devices that only allow a S2 mode via a USZ stick when I have to force it to None.

I have a couple of these and they work great.

They seem to have the same range. Either a good hub network with no more then two hops or close with a direct connection.

The Notes for this device still says it doesn't work with the C7 hub. Anyone ran one on a C7 yet?

That's there because of the 500 series version and the c7... The 700 series shouldn't have that issue

I ordered one and will play with it. Maybe I'll send it to @mike.maxwell and let him pull his hair out :sweat_smile:

My guess is that's just an errant copy/paste from the 500-series 4-in-1 notes.

1 Like

Yeah, it doesn't look like the page does any dynamic updates at all besides the price when you switch between the two versions. Even when you choose the 700-series version, the notes proudly proclaim that it has the "new 500-series Z-Wave chip." :rofl:

I'm kinda surprised they didn't either bump the hardware revision to make this easier to see, or just make an entirely "new" product or product page to make it even clearer, though I guess when the outside looks the exact same, that might be confusing, too...

I didn't even see this at all, and their website doesn't include it with "new" products, so thanks to @rlithgow1 for posting, too!

2 Likes

I have one

4 Likes

How is compatibility at this point?

Check my post above: New 700 series version of the Zooz 4-in-1 released! - #3 by jtp10181

I will be testing this more once I get a driver working right for it. I hope so!

It works fine on a C7, but the stock driver does not work with it correctly. I am sure Bryan will have it fixed in no time and I also plan on making a community driver for both the ZSE40 V2 (32.x FW) and the ZSE40-700 in a combined driver.

The issue with the original ZSE40 is not that it can only pair with S0, it is the fact that when motion is going it sends TWO reports every 7 seconds, combined with S0 security it creates a lot of overhead on the mesh. There is an undocumented parameter you can set to make it only send one message instead of two. I have a ZSE40 paired to my C7 with S0 security and it works perfectly fine. The ZSE40-700 does not have the issue of sending the messages every 7 seconds.

EDIT: Make sure you select the 700 series model on the site if that's what you want. When I first clicked the link on the first post it started on the 500 series model. But now its going to the 700 so not sure what happened.

4 Likes

The sensor was just added and we're currently in the process of updating both the TSH and Zooz websites - trying to organize the products and descriptions as much as we can while working on new product releases :sweat_smile: Thanks for your patience everyone!

Just to clarify the main differences between the 2 versions:

• 700 series is based on the VER. 2.0 500 series hardware with updated chip (and all of its benefits) + SmartStart functionality

• The 700 series version will have all of the same functionality as the 500 series in terms of reporting so quick motion alerts up to 40 feet that are prioritized over temperature, humidity, and light (which is still reported in %). This version was designed as an upgrade on the existing product and not a new design. If you'd like to receive reports for temp, humidity, and light at the same time as motion events are reported, please take a look at the ZSE11 Q Sensor which supports different functionality.

Let me know if anything else seems unclear about the new release!

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, is there any plan to have a version of the device that supports Long Range Z-Wave?

1 Like

It's my understanding that LR is part of the 700 series spec and all it would take is a firmware update to enable it.

1 Like