Nest Integration [Limited Release]

Yes, NST-Manager eventually went the direction of requiring users to obtain and enter their own tokens. A minor hassle, but perhaps a reasonable workaround while stuck?

Absolutely!

Since we are not sure when Google/Nest will open things up for HE and I really want Nest integration with HE right now I was hoping that maybe the HE crew could figure out a way to let us enter our own credentials at least in the interim. Maybe there are technical issues with this I dunno.

Any updates? Really need to set this up for my Nest Cam?

Heating:

Can anyone confirm if this would allow the use of external geo-fencing to improve the home/away asist?

Currently I'm looking at either Nest or Tado thermostats for a 9-zone UFH with Air Source heat pump system with a very varied schedule across 2 people. Leaning towards the Tado for their software and ability to do accurate geo for varied schedule but vastly prefer the visual of Nest so wondered if this will correct that shortcoming?

Cameras:
I want to be able to take a photo/photo's captured by Hello or Nest Cams to the use for FR/ANPR to pass to a gate controller using Sighthound API - will this help with managing that process?
Would this expose the IQ elements already built in to be able to use their Facial Tech directly?

Is there an update on the current status of Nest integration approval?

Unfortunately we are still waiting on Nest. Our original submission was kicked back to us with a couple changes required. We have since made those change but have not been able to submit due to this message:

We have reached out to them to find out what "a few weeks" means, but have not heard back.

We are looking into other ways that we can get people using the Nest integration until they are live again.

4 Likes

Anyone know the answer to this? Needing to order the stat's in the next day or so.

You can used the app to log when you home/ away using GPS. Then the integration can create a virtual presence device which you could use but the last time i used nest for home/away assist i didnt rate it but this was at least a year ago. I now do it the other way round so use my other presence devices to send nest into home/ away and have turned it off in the app.

I have a slow warmup system (with AirPump) so need the system to learn well around how long it takes to heat up, but factor in weather and sunshine as have a south facing house with lots of windows.

Does that sound like something Nest will do? As seems to be Tado’s speciality but then I do much prefer the look of the Nests

I have a old house that used to take ages to warm up, nest knows this now and starts the warm up slowly before I need it. So yes, this is something that the nest does along with other learning stuff. I also use the opentherm connection which you get with nest, which I think makes a big difference. As now the house is always at a nice temperature whereas before with just a switch ON/OFF it would be to hot or too cold. You do need a open protocol OpenTherm boiler connection to use this but if you dont again nest has a augartithum to simulate this but its obviously not as good as talking to the boiler directly though OpenTherm.

Any Nest Intergeation yet? I simply want to control my NestCam (on/off). If that’s not possible simply change the Nest Mode.

Everyone is waiting for nest to do their thing. The intrigration is there and if you were one of the lucky ones that got in early then the intrigration works great :slight_smile: . But until nest clear their back log unfortunately everyone else has to wait :frowning:

Really can’t believe Nest are doing this to us, especially when we’re fast approaching winter :rage:

Is there any 3rd party Nest App we can use in the mean time (and use our own API info). Like NestManager on ST?

And I agree - Nest has gone downhill. I would do Unifi Video if I could start over. But two locations with 10 Protects, 12 Cams, and 6 Thermostats makes it difficult to leave the ecosystem.

1 Like

Can't you guys use IFTTT as a go between for now? I don't have any Nest products so not sure what requirements are but IFTTT appears to talk to both Nest and Hubitat.

I'm one of the "lucky" ones to have Nest integration, honestly, I don't use it, Nest was already programmed itself and I have Google Home so if I need to change something I just use Google.

For what is needed this integration? Maybe I'm missing the good part

Thinking more, yes I use it, just for Sharptools display...

3 things - information access, flexibility, and integrated HE control.

For me it was not a critical part of my ST migration.. I had used it for the weather station and temp sensing - I have certain areas of the house that heat/cool unevenly and was using it along with a separate temperature device to trigger some rules. I have Protects and an 2 older (2nd Gen) Nests. The weather station app has now been replaced by @bangali's excellent device..

The key is since I already have the Nest system in place it would be nice to integrate functionality into HE for rules/triggers and also a dashboard with controls like manually raising/lowering temps etc.

Some features I'm interested in are motion/presence sensing, alert triggering, changing temps or setting home/away under certain conditions - though I prefer to use Nest' logic for the most part it's been great for us over the past couple of years.

I have some in floor radiant heating where I am using a Z-Wave thermostat but the temp settings on that are relatively binary - either on or off, generally leaving the temp set at a certain temp all the time.

1 Like

For everyone waiting for Nest to do their thing, don't forget about @jason0x43 excellent app and driver that we all used before the official integration.

1 Like

Is it possible to set a rule that when the mode or security state changes to away it can change the virtual Nest presence device presence to Away and Home when in a home mode? I can and do currently do this in WC but i'm trying to move any simple stuff where possible to RM. I think its not exposed in RM currently?

Edit: worked it out that's what custom commands are for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah was just looking, and also found that. Neat!! :wink: