Need a water leak sensor - Recommendations?

Ahhh...San Antonio...where summer is like winter elsewhere...huddle in the house around the AC and wait for fall! Love the town, I used to live outside 1604 near thee 1604/151 interchange. Wonderful place to live!

Thanks. I'll pick up one to put up there then. Theres a sensor up there, but all it does is throw a cutoff circuit and it might beep, but its inaudible from anywhere downstairs. The nest doesn't even thow an alert!

S.

Question:
For those who use the Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor(WSDCGQ11LM) as a "leak" sensor:
What level of Humidity do you define as a leak?
(It reports humidity %)
Thanks in advance.

All great feedback... I went by Best Buy and grabbed a Samsung/ST sensor ($20). I like it, small and looks well built. Paired no problems and seems very sensitive in my tests (which is good). I didn't realize it but it also has a temperature sensor built in as well. I didn't see that in the documentation, but I am elated. It will work perfect for my A/C application. It's nice to know the temp of the return air. Just an FYI, the Zigbee signal works fine through the A/C return grills. I may branch out to the Fibaro, when the funds become available, for my other application, Thanks everyone for the good info.

1 Like

These works well also and price is great.

1 Like

Yep. If you're in cold climates, that temp sensor can help to prevent a leak or deluge from frozen, burst pipe before it even happens.

Thanks, I live on the Alabama Gulfcoast and the temperature may get below freezing here a couple of times a year. Maybe a dusting of snow/ice every 2-3 years so freezing is rarely an issue. Humidity is our main problem. For example it’s 92 degrees with 98% humidity here today so everything drips. It’s especially tough on A/C units. Mine pulls a little less than a gallon of water out of the air a day and when the drain clogs it’s a mess. Air ducts sweat, pipes sweat so we definitely have our share of water related issues. Hopefully these sensors will help me keep it all in balance.

1 Like

Great place to be. I have a house in Gulf Shores. Love it there.

HVAC float switches or electronic water sensors are an area where non-smart is probably a better primary choice. They are wired directly into the system and will shut the system off. No need to go through some HA hub.

Yes, I agree.

However, a leak sensor connected to an HA system would go in the pan below the evaporator and be a backup device. The pan should always be dry. It will only be wet if the float sensor failed and water dripped over into the pan.

Edit - FWIW, that's how I've setup my evaporator. The float sensor is by the evaporator drain and will be triggered if the drain is clogged. The leak sensor is in the pan below the evaporator and should only be triggered if the float sensor fails, and the HVAC keeps running.

I have an electronic float switch but the area that is leaking/dripping is not there it’s under the unit. A/C folks will be here tomorrow but I still want the HA sensor under there for the future

1 Like

See Smartthings GP-U999SJVLCDA water leak sensor works well with Hubitat Elevation Hub.

Here is full list of water sensors from hubitat website:
|Everspring|ST812|
|Fibaro|FGFS-101|
|Fibaro|FGFS-101 ZW5|
|Ecolink|FLF-ZWAVE5|
|Homeseer|HS-FS100-W+|
|Dome|DMWS1|
|PEQ|3315|
|SmartThings|3300-S|
|SmartThings|Moisture Sensor V4|
|Samsung|Moisture Sensor V5|
|Sinope|WL4200|
|Sinope|WL4200S|
|Iris|3315-L|
|Sensative||
|Homeseer|HS-LS100+|
|Zooz|ZSE30|

1 Like

Anytime anyone wants to see the current list of what’s compatible via the built-in drivers, it’s available here. That’s expanded further by community drivers that work with devices not officially listed as compatible, but do work with the community created drivers.

Just click the top of the columns to sort by the category you’re investigating.

2 Likes

Probably an old thread but i have used the centralite water sensors and so far love them. These were also marketed by Iris so you may still find some listed that way.
They connected to HE immediately, they work very quickly once the contracts are wet and i set them up in HSM, with pushover notification. Even set up an IFTTT link to call me if they get wet!
I don't have experience with other sensors but certainly happy so far.
Regards;
Mac

These are great. If you can still find them
Mac

I've had a Fibaro for about 8 months. All I can say is it has always worked, still the original battery. Would purchase again.

Anyone tried using water leak sensor as rain sensor? Like putting it outside the window to check for rain

@Cobra did this and posted about it when he was using SmartThings though this now works on HE too

2 Likes

OK. Pretty new to HE. Paired a Samsung Zigbee Water Leak Sensor. Paired fine, but does not see "wet" events. Temperature is reported correctly. Unpaired and moved to SmartThings (not done migrating yet) and it immediately sees wet/dry events. I'm using the Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor. Is that wrong? What's up?

Rebooting the hub fixed this. Weird.