Need a water leak sensor - Recommendations?

A little concerning, I have a bunch of these that I didn't have issues w/on SmartThings, went off when I had a leak, two different times. (One was really a spill, but the sensor got it right that there was water.)

I have 16 smartthings leak sensors on hubitat, and they all work.

Try hitting configure and refresh a time or two on it.

3 Likes

I have 9, all work and 3 different times, detected issues behind the washer, under the kitchen sink and bathroom toilet

Luv them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What is the latest thinking on this a year on? I just had to fix a leak under my shower and now I have access I'm thinking of adding a leak detector before I close things up again. I'm in the UK and have bought a fair amount of stuff from Vesternet so I had a look at its range and either the Aeotec 7 Pro (Z-Wave Plus Aeotec Water Sensor 7 Pro — Vesternet) or the Aeotec SmartThings (Zigbee Aeotec SmartThings Waterleak Sensor — Vesternet) already mentioned here occured to me.

The one I actually like the look of the most that I found via a wider web search is the Honeywell Resideo W1 Wi-Fi sensor (Amazon.co.uk) particularly because for that the remote sensor isn't a device on the end of a cable but the whole cable is a sensor and extension cables can be bought so I could snake it around pipe joints and around the edges of the shower tray to catch smaller drips rather than bigger floods where the water can find its way to a single 2-pronged sensor. That's not supported in Hubitat as far as I can tell and being a WiFi device rather than Z-Wave or Zigbee I'm guessing that the chances of an integration are quite low.

Does anyone know of any the-whole-cable-is-a-sensor devices that are compatible with Hubitat? Failing that does anyone have any experiences with the Aeotec Pro 7 sensor or have any other suggestions? Another plus for me would be the ability to power it from a USB source since I have access to power in the area where I want to put it.

HomeSeer makes a z-wave one that is compatible with Hubitat, but it does you little good because it is only available in the North American z-wave frequency.

So instead, why not modify an Aeotec Smartthings sensor? Take two stranded 18 ga or 20 ga wires, strip the sheath and solder each wire to one of the terminals. Use clips every 4-5 cm to keep the two conductors apart and snake them around anything you want. If there's water that bridges the two conductors, it'll trigger the sensor.

3 Likes

I would get some regular zip cord (the two conductor wire used in lamps). Any gauge will do.
Every foot or so strip a small section of the insulation off with an exacto (maybe 1/2 inch or so). It will sense when the uninsulated parts are in water. A bit of a pain to do but once done it is easy to install or move around.

You could also use the thin zip cable that used to come with (LoFi) speakers.

LoFi as opposed to HiFi

2 Likes

Much, much better idea!

1 Like

If you're closing up things, you might want to consider the fibaro flood sensor, can be powered via an adapter, since you may have trouble getting at the battery?
And it can have an external probe

Can you get the zlink leak sensor in the UK. It has a remote cable that is extendable.