I felt it was time to post about my experience to maybe assist others. I've seen the multiple reports of issues, and so far have been pretty lucky. I have no complaints from my switch and couldn't be happier with Hubitat.
I started with SmartThings around May 2017. After having been on SmartThings for a year I had decided that the cloud requirement wasn't for me. I then bought the Hubitat hub around June of 2018.
I can't say everything was smoothing sailing from the start. The Linear Garage door openers were problematic until I had installed the Iris 3320-Ls, I originally had all 4 paired as both Zwave and Zigbee. After I added the Kwikset 910's I kept having issues with them dropping off the network and not responding. I found a couple of forum postings stating there was a firmware problem on some of the 3320-L's, and after looking, found I only had 1 on the newer firmware. I proceeded to exclude the 3 on the bad firmware. Since that time I've not had any Zwave issues
Heres the report of Firmware issues on the Iris smart plugs Issues with Iris Smart Plugs as Z-Wave Repeaters
For the zigbee side, I bought the first Xbee in hopes of extending the range of the Iris presence sensor. At the same time I was having issues with some of the other zigbee devices not responding. The first time I mapped the the zigbee network I was amazed at what the mapping showed. In my case, I had devices routing through the Cree's that I hadn't expected. That's when i started slowly replacing the Crees with the Sengleds. I added the 2nd Xbee when I tried to get a contact sensor working in a building that was 150 feet or more from the house. Adding this 2nd Xbee is what got me to finish replacing the Crees. I found that the Xbee I had placed in the building was routing through a Cree instead of the 1st Xbee. The Cree was on the opposite side of the house. The 3rd Xbee was bought just to use for mapping so that I didn't have to remove either of the 2 from their locations.
For all your Xbee information see the post Everything Xbee
As it stands I've been close to a year without having any major issues. The only time the hub gets rebooted is when I perform the platform updates,
Below are the current details of my setup.
- C-4 Hub.
- 8x Iris 3320-L
- 1 GE zwave smart dimmer 12724
- 2x Leviton ZWave Plus Switches, DZ15S
- 11x Visonic MCT-340 E contact sensors.
- 3x Iris Motion Detector 3326-L
- Bosch Motion Detector
- 4x Iris 3210-L
- 2x Iris Moisture Detector 3315-L
- First Alert Fire/CO detector
- 3x Google/Nest Home mini
- 2x Kwikset 910 Zwave locks.
- 2x GE Zwave Plus Outets
- Iris 4 button key fob 3450-L2
- 3x Xbee, 1 used for mapping and not left online
- 2x Iris/Linear Garage Door Opener GX00Z-1
- GE Outdoor Smart Switch Zwave
- 2x Hampton Bay Fan controller
- 8x Sengled Element Classic
- 2x Blink cameras
- Lutron Caesta Pro Bridge
- 1x Pico
- bptworld's "Device Watchdog"
- srwhite's "Iris SmartPlug Z-Wave Repeater" driver
- Closet Lights -- All my closets had pull string lights which I had a bad habit of leaving on. I used contact sensors on the doors, so that when a door is opened the light turns on, when door is closed the light turns off.
- Garage Lights -- Used the motion sensors to automate the lights.
- Good Night routine -- Activated from RM rule that watches power output to rise above 10W. Locks the doors, arms HSM, Turns off all lights
- Good Morning routine -- Activated from RM rule that watches for power out to drop below 10W. Unlocks the doors, disarms HSM.
- Iris KeyFob Presence -- On arrival, disarms HSM and unlock the doors. On departure, Lock doors and turn off all lights. I fully understand this isn't best practice nor recommended.
- Blink -- Arm and disarm based on HSM status using IFTTT
I have one more fan controller to install, I hope to add more motion sensors through the house for more automation. I'd still like to add a thermostat for the baseboard heaters, but after adding a wood stove last fall, its not really needed now. I also want to do something different camera wise, just not sure which route I'm going to go yet. 10 more Iris 3326-L motion sensors have been bought, need to plan out the installs.
I'll update this post with details as I add more to my system.
Sorry about the rambling...