Matter Support Released

I don't think this is correct...I have a bunch of fans set up in the Bond integration on my C7, and to mesh them back to my C8 the only option is to mesh and select the parent device. On the C8 none of the fan child devices show up in Swap Apps on the C8:

You can only mesh the parent device, not individual children:
2024-01-10 09_47_10-Hubs, Network, & Tech
2024-01-10 09_47_53-Hubs, Network, & Tech

You end up w/Bond parent w/child devices on the C8, a mirror of the C7. None of the child devices are selectable in Swapp Apps.

3 Likes

As soon as the same child device is used in more than one rule I am using de-childifising
technique by creating a mirrored virtual device and using this virtual device in all rules.
For some devices this is very easy but for some a bit tricky. Anyway next time when I have to
replace one child device with another child or real device I have to make changes only in
ONE place.

4 Likes

That's exactly what I did for my Bond fans, and also I did not like how the Bond driver was working with Homebridge so I made my own custom virtual driver.

For me it’s not about the devices, but rather it’s about the mesh networks. My brother-in-law has a main house and guest house, and has a hub in each connected through hub mesh.

I have a hub at my camper that’s linked through hub connect, since that works remotely over the internet, that allows me to use my Amazon voice integrations since you can only link the Alexa skill to one hub.

I’m in the same boat with regard to Bond and HomeKit. Would you mind sharing your custom driver? Many thanks!

Check these two posts (on same thread)

Link to my driver code is here: Mirroring Virtual Fan to Physical Fan Controller - #7 by jtp10181

Briefly explained how I mirrored from real device to virtual: Mirroring Virtual Fan to Physical Fan Controller - #2 by jtp10181

1 Like

Question:
Will I be able to use the Matter compatibility of the Aqara U100 lock to use it from Hubitat?
Do I need to have a Aqara hub to do that? Or is a Google Home enough?
From the Aqara ad for this device:

Is a typical Apple IPad a "Apple Homekit Hub"?
Once it's used for commissioning, does it have to stay that way?
In other words, after a device is commissioned, can an Apple IPaf be turned off , after Hubitat starts to control that device?

Very pragmatic. This to me demonstrates 1) the need is real and 2) the solution could be a level of indirection. Would be sweet if the platform could provide it transparently.

AFAIK, once you've joined the device to Hubitat the device won't care if the commissioning device is awake/asleep/off, as it will communicate w/the Hub over the Wi-Fi network (Matter/Wi-Fi devices) or Thread (Matter/Thread devices).

I've tried to pay attention in class...pretty sure that's correct, but would be good to get that verified. :slight_smile:

Once upon a time, an iPad could be used as a Homekit hub.. no longer. An Apple TV or a HomePod are now the options.

"Thread-enabled Matter accessories require a Thread-enabled home hub, such as HomePod mini or Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Ethernet, or a supported third-party border router. When you set up HomePod mini and HomePod, they automatically become home hubs. Just make sure that you're signed in to iCloud on your iPhone or iPad with the Apple ID that you used to set up your HomeKit and Matter accessories in the Home app."*

1 Like

The current price of 189 EUR isn't that bad as importing a hub from the USA will cost you at least $216 (150 a hub + 26 cheapest FedEx shipping + VAT on a hub and shipping when in Portugal). FedEx may also charge you extra for customs processing. And you get 3 months guarantee on a hub instead of two years.
If you need a spare hub you can have a look at the customer returned hub which is just like a new one with 2 years guarantee. The only difference is that someone bought it, found out it's not for them and sent it back. It's 14 EUR cheaper.

2 Likes

Hi @Ultrasmart.pl,

I’m already a customer of yours - a hub and counting … and I bought one more for a client.

I’m fully aware of the taxes for importing from US to EU - that’s why I don’t even think of buying from the US. No way!

However, whenever Hubitat starts a campaign with discounts I get jealous because I can’t get the same discounts from Ultrasmart … I would be sooooo happy if you’d do it too :smiley:

2 Likes

Any chance support is coming for Hubitat as a matter bridge? Matter bridge, pretty please?

I don't mind at all if I have to buy a new hub to get this support & can't use my old hubitat hub :grin::grin:

Would just be an amazing feature

1 Like

Does that require require a thread border router to be baked in?

No, it does not.

A Matter Bridge is what Philips Hue and Aqara have added to their Zigbee only hubs. It allows those Zigbee devices to be shared with Matter Controllers.

It is very much analogous to Hubitat’s built-in Apple HomeKit support, where Hubitat Zigbee, Z-Wave, and some LAN devices can be exposed to Apple Home as HomeKit devices.

3 Likes

On the plus side, supporting Matter Bridge feature for Hubitat might (?) mean that they no longer need HomeKit, Alexa and Google integrations further down the line ?

4 Likes

Yes, true, the Matter Bridge could in theory handle all of them I think, and all locally (Alexa and Google are currently cloud based). This would greatly depend on Matter expanding its device capabilities, in order to get the same functionality.

You could also bridge to Home Assistant, or any other platform that can use Matter. No more custom plugins and integrations.

That would actually be pretty cool.

Speaking of which, if Home Assistant does a Matter bridge, we could use that to get devices from HA to HE, instead of the all-or-none HADB app. Have never used it but I understand it sends ALL device data to HE, and there is no way around that.

1 Like

What makes you think an eventual bridge feature on HA would do any different ?

Good point... it would possibly behave the same way :frowning:
I was imagining something like the HE integrations where you can pick which devices to export.

Not sure why HADB does not have a device selection on it, maybe not possible with the HA plugins, not a huge user of HA but follow some of the topics if interesting.