Matter Support Released

Hubitat already has quite a few "Generic Component Devices" that are utilized by Parent devices that utilize any protocol. These devices simply implement Hubitat's Standard Device Capabilities, but let the Parent device handle all communications with the actual physical devices in the real world. Thus, Hubitat already basically has this layer of abstraction available to them. I am just not sure how well these would work with Matter (as I really know very little about how Hubitat has implemented Matter into the platform.)

1 Like

If you have a esp32 you could make your own matter device with tasmota.

2 Likes

My understanding of the goal of using OEM Matter Bridges in Hubitat is to stop writing custom drivers for the non-standard Zigbee devices like these made by Tuya and Aqara. Let these device 'specifics' be handled by Tuya and Aqara hubs, and bring them to HE using Hubitat's Standard Device Capabilities instead.

7 Likes

I can speak for other cases, however, in my case, both of my "sites" are totally dependant on HE.

First, the place where I live: every light, blinds, curtains, ventilation and so on are controlled by HE, their automations and Alexa. Having a second hub give me the opportunity of, if the hub currently in charge of the place fails, set the second hub as the main hub, although it won't be an easy task, specially regarding the Zigbee devices.

Second, the place where I rent rooms (long term): although I don't use Alexa in that place, all lights, ventilation, environment monitoring and security are dependant of HE. The reason for having a second hub is the same of the place where I live.

I'd would be very glad when it would be possible to set another hub as a "hot standby" hub. I say "when" instead of "if" because, since the C-8 now has the possibility of migrate the Zigbee network to another hub open, IMHO, the possibility of having a "hot standby" hub. I'm sure that, if HubitatĀ“s staff doesn't come up with the "hot standby" resource, someone in our active, creative and hard working community will come up with it - if it is not, hopefully, already in the works!

Since I live in Europe (EU), when Hubitat offers discounts, I can't be sure if those discounts are reflected in the reseller here (ultrasmart.pl). I'll keep an eye on next discounts and check if ultrasmart.pl offers some discount - I hope so.

Finally, I must admit that having my hubs playing a vital role on both places can be considered a bold move, but I've being doing such moves for 45+ years of IT experience and I can't help it ... old habits die hard.

Happy new year everybody !!!

PS. A C-8 hub currently costs for EU customers 189 ā‚¬ (~ 207 USD as of 2023-01-08)

3 Likes

Nah mate, I want the full enchilada myself, I want full active-active load balancing across a 4 way Hubitat cluster!

:metal:

2 Likes

Not entirely trueā€¦ Bridge devices will work fine, there are no built-in drivers yet.. Community could create bridge drivers at any time now.

5 Likes

Like any other Z-Wave or Zigbee multi-endpoint device.. Parent bridge driver that will create child devices for all the bridgeā€™s endpointsā€¦

4 Likes

Fair enough. I donā€™t think anyone has done so yet though.

Not yetā€¦ I donā€™t yet have enough to create generic bridge type driver.. I only have 1 bridge device and only 1 of their endpoint types.. Iā€™m hoping a community developer who regularly uses one of these bridges will jump in.. Iā€™m willing to pass along what I know about bridge matter devices to help the process.

5 Likes

I am not a regular developer, and I am still waiting on the promised YoLink Matter bridge, but I have 16 YoLink devices of 5 different types, so maybe when their matter bridge is finally available, I will hit you up on that (if somebody else hasnā€™t done it yet)

I don't have any Matter controllers that properly act as bridges other than my dev kit I am coding devices on (I also setup a bridge for testing while setting it up).

For me, this is one of those chicken and egg things. If I had a Matter controller that correctly presented non-Matter devices via a bridge I would probably start tinkering with HE drivers. But I don't. :man_shrugging:

( snarky uncalled for adder that should be totally ignored: I'm much more interested in ZWave LR support. I have a ton of those to test. :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes
1 Like

Dear Mr. @thebearmay,

Be you here notified that my lawyer will contact you seeking compensation for the expenses (2 x C-8 hubs) that soon to be incurred by me because of your "Hub Failover" app.

However, all hassle can be avoided if two brand new C-8 hubs are credited to me, as a form of avoiding litigation and subsequent legal expenses.

I truly believe that this offer is quite reasonable and I expect to hear from you soon with your acceptance of it.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

About effing time... Only 10 years overdue.

6 Likes

Saw this on AppleInsider:
Aqara's new smart plug is also unique, being one of the first to include Thread border router capabilities baked in. It bridges your Thread network to your Wi-Fi for a more seamless smart home experience

Revealed at CES 2024 today.

2 Likes

Thank you, Bryan. I will contact you next week with some particular questions.
At that time, hopefully, the code behind Zemismart M1 - Matter Bridge for Tuya Zigbee devices project will be ready for sharing.

3 Likes

We have just released 2.3.8.103 for beta testing. This release extends our Matter support to Model C-5 and Model C-7 hubs.

23 Likes

Unexpected and very welcome. Thank you so much for adding this capability to previous generations.

6 Likes

Great news!!

I was thinking about buying two Tapo P100M smart plugs, with Matter support - now I'm buying ...

And I'm still expecting an answer from @thebearmay :rofl:

1 Like

On advice of my legal team I have no further comment on this topicā€¦
:rofl:

8 Likes