Matter Support Released

:joy:

Waiting for a big discount for European customers :heart:

3 Likes

I bought mine in one of the recent sales - this saved a bunch as the Aussie micro peso conversion rate is rubbish ATM.

2 Likes

I don’t understand yet why one would need more than one hub. I am still on my C7, and I won’t be buying the C8 until it supports matter bridges for things like Switchbot, YoLink, Aqara (which all have or have promised bridges). Even if and when I buy the C8 (or maybe it will be the C9 by the ), I’m not sure why I would keep the old C7…

99% of ppl dont - I have a couple of LAN/WAN integrations that are not overly well-behaved, so I run them on my 2nd Hub. I also use my spare hub as a dev box for the 2 integrations I maintain.

1 Like

I have some bad devices that work great on there own hub but not with the rest so isolating devices is a reason. For me it's just the same as having a hue bridge, just mine is another HE.

Although I also want this capability. Just to be clear a bridge is just that so you could currently bring all of those manufacturer as bridges into HE.

HE is a matter controller so it's positioning itself as the central hub and brain to control all the devices. So it made sense to do this first. Bridge will be useful though as I would think things like Google home could then see all the devices through a Hubitat bridge.

So you bring everything into HE for automations then can expose HE to Alexa or Google for control using there hubs / speakers.

3 Likes

Just to be clear a bridge is just that so you could currently bring all of those manufacturer as bridges into HE.

Bringing devices from those ecosystems to Hubitat is exactly what I want.

So you bring everything into HE for automations then can expose HE to Alexa or Google for control using there hubs / speakers.

I could not care less about Alexa or Google. The only use I have for them is because my robovac supports nothing else than Alexa, so that’s the only way I can control it in Hubitat.

Then they should work now.

They will still building some drivers for bridges joins but in theory you would get the code from the bridge device and add it to HE.

Then they should work now.

They don’t yet. These are not Matter devices, (well, some of them are, but not all). These are non-Matter devices that are exposed to Matter via their bridge doing the translation. These devices work on Bluetooth (for Switchbot), LoRa (for YoLink). These are not supported yet.

Have you tried?

My understanding of how it will work is your add your bridge to a controller IE HE and the controller will essentially see lots of matter devices.

However they won't be but that's the job of the bridge. It will convert the matter command to Bluetooth or z-wave or zigbee etc.

Have you tried?

I have not. I trust the Hubitat staff, and those who tried. No bridge is supported yet. Only actual Matter enabled individual devices.

1 Like

This is definitely a possibility, and it is the route that Philips Hue and Aqara have taken. Their hubs can act as Matter Bridges, thereby allowing some Zigbee devices to be seen as Matter devices to Matter Controllers that support Matter Bridges.

However, this is not the case currently for Apple, Amazon, Google, or Samsung. The 'Big Boys' all will happily adopt Matter devices (either Matter over WiFi or Matter over Thread), some support importing Matter Bridge devices, and most share genuine Matter devices with other Matter Controllers (e.g. Hubitat C8). However, I am not aware that any of them will act as Matter Bridges for non-Matter devices. For example, an Apple HomeKit device that is part of your Apple Home, cannot be shared out to a Matter Controller on your network. A WiFi device that is connected to Alexa cannot be shared out as a Matter device to a Matter Controller on your network. I really doubt that any of these 4 companies will add Matter Bridge functionality for non-Matter devices, as it puts the burden of writing the translation layer code squarely upon them, instead of the device manufacturer.

It makes sense for Philips Hue and Aqara to do this for their hubs, as they want their hardware to be compatible with as many home automation platforms as possible. Adding Matter Bridge support is truly part of their forward looking business model. They want to stay relevant.

4 Likes

Yeah, I tried adding my Hue Hub via Matter for a laugh - it worked, but no devices populate:

1 Like

This is the current expected behavior on Hubitat, as support for Matter Bridge devices will require child device drivers to be written for all of the Matter Bridge device's children. I think the Hubitat team may have released some developer documentation for Matter. Perhaps a motivated community member will try to build out the Matter Bridge functionality?

7 Likes

Agreed, like I said, I did it to amuse myself. :crazy_face:

1 Like

It is my understanding that the big players (at least Apple) do support Matter bridges (Switchbot claims to be compatible with HomeKit because of that). Have you tried adding the hue hub to HomeKit and then exporting it as a matter device to Hubitat (probably each device individually)

1 Like

Nope, I wasn't quite that bored, and I already have my Hue Devices integrated with Hubitat via the official Hue Bridge. :sunglasses:

This would be an interesting test... :thinking: However, I am not willing to screw up my perfectly working native Hue to HomeKit integration which has a richer feature set than using the Hue Hub as a Matter Bridge to Apple Home. Also, I am pretty fond of my current Hue to Hubitat and Hue to Home Assistant native integrations. :wink:

I really like the idea of Matter, and I hope it is a success in the home automation industry... however, it still needs another 1-3 years to mature and become stable. When Hubitat released their Matter Controller support on the C8 hub, I searched for a Matter device that I could buy to test it out. Unfortunately, I could not find any Matter devices that I wanted to buy. My Lutron, Hue, and Zigbee devices are all working great.

4 Likes

I am not a sw developer but is it possible to create intermittent "matter-to-zigbee" bridge,
so all existing zigbee drivers potentially could work?

I am not sure how Hubitat plans to handle importing devices from Matter Bridges. We'd need to hear from someone like @bcopeland or @mike.maxwell to understand that.

However, Zigbee Home Automation is its own standard, as is Z-Wave. There is code that is very specific for communicating with these mesh network devices, and the devices expose capabilities that are not supported in the Matter protocol (and probably vice versa.)

Yes, this is very clear. I was/is thinking about some sort of say, virtual devices.
Something oposite to what Matter bridge is doing. Another words, encapsulate the existing
protocol into Matter (similar to encapsulating the entire PCI into PCIe).