Matter Support Released

Its not a hardware problem it is a software problem. While the hubs have the same UI and look the same to users, they run different versions or variations of software under the hood.

4 Likes

I am not positive, but I think it might even require three versions.

• C8
  • C5 and C7
  • C3 and C4

The C3 and C4 are quite different than the others, the C5 and C7 use a 32-bit JVM whereas the C4 uses a 64-bit JVM.

At this point I doubt the C3/C4 will ever get it, too old and too few users to make it worthwhile.

For the C5 and C7, I think that there will be some observation of adoption of Matter, and where the whole thing progresses over the next year. If Matter as a whole is as half-baked in a year, 2023 in the smart home: Matter’s broken promises - The Verge I doubt the older hubs get it. With Google involved, it wouldn't shock me if they just drop the whole thing in a year once they get bored with it, like about half of their projects. Things like that might change the priorities of Hubitat.

You also have to consider Hubitat has been very good at adding features even for the older hubs. If this was a Samsung phone, there is zero chance you get 2023 features ported back to your older phone. Up to this point, there is very little difference in device support and apps no matter which hub version you have. When you look at it from that perspective, Hubitat is pretty amazing.

9 Likes

Whaaaaat ?????
So like that just lowered my interest. Is this a forever condition of using Matter devices?

2 Likes

Yes.

Matter requires a Commissioning device.. typically an Apple HomeKit hub, Google Home or Alexa.

One day, Hubitat may add Commissioning, but it's not part of the initial release.

3 Likes

Matter devices require bluetooth to commission. Hubitat does not use bluetooth... (Eventually the app will be updated to use bluetooth in your phone allowing hubitat to be a commissioner but no set time frame) So using either homekit (apple), google, or echo to create the fabric, you can generate a code then to add that device to Hubitat.

8 Likes

The Matter Integration has been a substantial undertaking. These are very early days for Matter, as just a few months ago there were not even Matter devices available to purchase. From our perspective, the most important first step was to put the basic Matter Integration out there. The great majority of our users have one of Apple, Google or Amazon devices that already support Matter commissioning. So as a first step, it made sense to us to release this instead of holding back until all aspects of using Matter are complete.

Having said that, our mobile app development is on a different and challenging path forward. It will incorporate Matter commissioning in a future release. We aren't offering a date for that release at this time.

18 Likes

It’s my understanding correct that this update is to control matter devices from the Hubitat but does not expose our zigbee and z-wave devices to Matter. Am I correct?

correct

Thanks.

Well done hubitat team! Thanks for what I'm assuming took a huge amount of work. Really love that you're making so much effort to keep the HE up to date and relevant in a fast changing market. I've been really happy with my HE since I bought it a couple of years ago and it's this continued support and the regular updates that I value most - actually and the supportive community!

I have the older hub so won't be able to take advantage of it yet but I'll be buying and moving to the new hub soon.

5 Likes

Wow, I just got super lucky then… I just got a C8 and one of the first things I played with were existing z-wave devices on a security panel and two Matter lightbulbs. It worked great!

I was a little confused by having to activate the lightbulbs on Alexa/Echo Show or Google Home first, and it took a bit to figure out the setup code was one produced by Alexa/Google, not the one that is printed on the devices. (Probably because I skipped the instructions…. who reads those anyway…). But, once I figured this out, the rest has been smooth sailing. I can even control the RGB colors (though it’s much easier to do that thru Alexa/Google/HomeKit).

Thank you for adding Matter support. I hope you plan on simplifying the process with later releases so that an external Assistant device/controller isn’t needed to activate new devices.

I’m really enjoying Hubitat so far!

3 Likes

I'm keeping my credit card far away from me, in order to resist the urge to buy a C-8.

I already have two C-5's and two C-7's and the C-8's capability of transfer the Zigbee & Z-Wave networks is compelling ... thank God I forgot where my credit card is !

4 Likes

do it jewish GIF

6 Likes

I’ve now got 2 C7’s and a C8 - technically I’ve bought 3 C7’s as I bought an extra one and then gave it to a mate.

What I’ve come to realise is, the correct number of Hubitat’s to own is N + 1. :rofl:

(N being the number of hubs you actually have on hand)

2 Likes

:joy:

Waiting for a big discount for European customers :heart:

3 Likes

I bought mine in one of the recent sales - this saved a bunch as the Aussie micro peso conversion rate is rubbish ATM.

2 Likes

I don’t understand yet why one would need more than one hub. I am still on my C7, and I won’t be buying the C8 until it supports matter bridges for things like Switchbot, YoLink, Aqara (which all have or have promised bridges). Even if and when I buy the C8 (or maybe it will be the C9 by the ), I’m not sure why I would keep the old C7…

99% of ppl dont - I have a couple of LAN/WAN integrations that are not overly well-behaved, so I run them on my 2nd Hub. I also use my spare hub as a dev box for the 2 integrations I maintain.

1 Like

I have some bad devices that work great on there own hub but not with the rest so isolating devices is a reason. For me it's just the same as having a hue bridge, just mine is another HE.

Although I also want this capability. Just to be clear a bridge is just that so you could currently bring all of those manufacturer as bridges into HE.

HE is a matter controller so it's positioning itself as the central hub and brain to control all the devices. So it made sense to do this first. Bridge will be useful though as I would think things like Google home could then see all the devices through a Hubitat bridge.

So you bring everything into HE for automations then can expose HE to Alexa or Google for control using there hubs / speakers.

3 Likes

Just to be clear a bridge is just that so you could currently bring all of those manufacturer as bridges into HE.

Bringing devices from those ecosystems to Hubitat is exactly what I want.

So you bring everything into HE for automations then can expose HE to Alexa or Google for control using there hubs / speakers.

I could not care less about Alexa or Google. The only use I have for them is because my robovac supports nothing else than Alexa, so that’s the only way I can control it in Hubitat.