Lutron motion sensor

you know what. Iā€™m hopeful it will have the option.

That sensor doesnā€™t have any print for a 1 minute setting and it can be programmed for it.

The manual for the Caseta do show 1 minute options written under the different languages.

Crossing my fingers for both 1 minute and telnet communication!

Hi Mike,

The new Caseta Occupancy/Vacancy sensors PD-OSENS/PD-VSENS will be the only sensors that will be compatible with the Caseta system. Telnet will not be supported at this time with the sensors. You will also be able to change the timeout to one minute by following the same process as the Radio Power Saver sensors. Hope this helps!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to respond to this email. For immediate assistance please call the number below and refer to the case number in the subject line.

Best regards,

1 Like

Bad news and good news! Thanks for checking.

1 Like

So no state changes over telnet.

I guess we all canā€™t use these.

Unless we do some funky stuff through HomeKit.... if possible but not worth it.

Iā€™m confirming no telnet communication with the pro bridge.

The wording is slightly off. I want to be certain.

Hello Mike,

That is correct. At launch, Telnet will not be supported with the Caseta wireless sensors.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to respond to this email. For immediate assistance, please contact our 24/7 support team at 1-888-Lutron1 (588-7661) and refer to the case number on the subject line of this email. Thank you!

All,

I just received a new Caseta Occupancy Sensor from Amazon today. I paired it with my Smart Bridge Pro2, and it works exactly as described above. The hidden 1 minute timeout feature works as shown in the video linked previously by @bertabcd1234. Unfortunately, I do not see anything in the Telnet logs for this sensor. Not a surprise based on the information from @mik3.

In HomeKit, I do not see any sign of the new Caseta Occupancy sensor.

I do have a Caseta plug-in dimmer that I use as a repeater. I may use that one dimmer as means to control a virtual motion sensor in Hubitat...:thinking:

4 Likes

Lutron apparently says in time it will report to relent.

Iā€™m not holding my breath.

How fast is the response ?

The response between the Caseta Occupancy sensor and a Caseta in-wall dimmer is nearly instantaneous.

3 Likes

In case anyone is curious on an update on this, i pinged lutron support, and status hasnt changed. Still no telnet.

2 Likes

Received one of these for a review I wrote and itā€™s been sitting in the box ever since. Only CasĆ©ta device I owned other than the Smart Bridge Pro and my wonderful Picos was a CasĆ©ta Fan Controller. Not wanting to control my fan with a motion sensor meant it continued to go unused.

Found an Amazon warehouse deal for $60 CAD for the Pico and plug-in dimmer kit. The Pico regularly goes for $15-20 CAD anyway, and I can always use another one of those beauties, so I could easily rationalize it as $40 CasƩta motion sensor.

Iā€™d heard it was possible and I can confirm that a Lutron CasĆ©ta plug-in dimmer will continue to send on/off from the Smart Bridge Pro when you assign the Lutron CasĆ©ta motion sensor to it, even though you unplug the dimmer module. Really expensive way to get a motion sensor connected to your hub, but considering I didnā€™t pay anything for the sensor, itā€™s actually a really good deal for a sensor of this caliber.

1 Like

I feel a bit dense but I don't understand the difference between the Lutron Occupancy sensor and the Lutron Vacancy sensor . . . can someone break it down for me?

It's probably just as you believe. Occupancy sensors will both turn on and off the lights. Vacancy sensors will just turn off the lights. To add a little confusion the Lutron occupancy sensors can be run in vacancy mode. I believe, but may be mistaken, that California sometimes requires (or required) the vacancy only sensors.

It sounds like the occupancy sensor is more like the other (Zigbee and Z-Wave) "garden variety" Motion sensors - is that right?

I'm thinking there are a few places I could use one of these - I am interested in the claim of long battery life.

Stuff like this, ladies and gents, is how @ogiewon earned his name and his lightsabre. :wink:

3 Likes

They are, but don't report over the Telnet interface. So to work in Hubitat you'd have to rig it like @ogiewon did with a lamp module.

The NYCE Zigbee sensor batteries are supposed to last a long time, up to 5 years. Mine have lasted over a year. They're also smaller than the Lutron sensors and have humidity sensors too.

Oh, I get that. I have several areas where I could just use the Lutron capability as I don't need the extra smarts and configurability that Hubitat brings. I have four Nyce motion sensors and I have never seen anything close to 5 years of battery life with them. Not that I really believe the Lutron will give me 10 but even just several years would be nice. Also, this would allow me to redeploy some zigbee motion sensors to other locations.

1 Like

I've ordered one from Energy Avenue so I can try it out. I'll let you know how it works.

The Lutron Caseta occupancy (a.k.a., motion) sensor works great. It has a set of buttons on the back that allow for three time-out settings, three motion-sensitivity settings (low, medium, high), and an auto-on (or not) setting. I set the time-out for five minutes as that pretty much duplicates my old rule. I joined the sensor to the Caseta Pro hub for the basement and, using the app, configured it to turn on the ceiling light in the workshop. I tested that and it worked fine so I added a MirrorMe app on Hubitat so that my work table lights (three 4 foot LED fixtures) will come on when the overhead light comes on (and also switch off when it switches off). Those lights are plugged into a Zooz ZEN06 plug. I can now re-purpose the motion sensors that had been in that room as the Lutron sensor covers the entire area. It responds very quickly - I think more quickly than the old configuration (which had three motion sensors - two zigbee and one z-wave).

Here is a link to the spec sheet: https://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3691125_ENG.pdf

It shows up like this on the integration report:

1 Like

But assuming you still can't map it to a motion sensor in HE right?

You are just using mirror me to turn another light on from the Lutron integrating one turning on?