Setting a Lutron switch to motion activate only during certain hours

Does anyone know how to use Hubitat to allow a Lutron switch to motion activate during certain hours and not during other hours.

I have a PD-6ANS switch and a PD-OSENS motion wall sensor. The sensor is set to Vacancy Mode (it will only turn the switch off). This is in a bedroom, so I don't want it coming on during the night if I turn over in bed. I would like it to come on when I walk in the room during waking hours.

The question also would be, can Hubitat control a PD-OSENS. This is a Caseta compatible sensor.

If the sensor can be paired with your lutron pro hub, sends state changes via telnet, and does not require pairing directly with the switch, I believe you should be able to use the lutron motion sensor. I did find this article from a few years ago which suggests no. However, as long as you have the pro hub you should be able to use any Hubitat-compatible motion sensor to accomplish what you want using your existing lutron switch.

I have a ton of Lutron switches and Picos but not motion sensors so I can't confirm whether this is still the case, but @aaiyar or @rlithgow1 might know for sure.

1 Like

I don't believe that Caseta Occupancy/Vacancy device sends anything to Hubitat over the Telnet interface. I keep hoping Lutron will update and add that functionality but so far I have not seen it (I have one in my shop).

4 Likes

As @brad5 said, the answer is no. The reason is that Lutron does not expose it through the telnet interface on the Caséta Pro bridge.

2 Likes

I have a bunch of Lutron Caseta switches and dimmers. However, I do not use Caseta motion sensors. I used a variety of Zigbee motion sensors (Hue sensors have been my most recent selection). The Lutron switches and dimmers connect connect with Hubitat through the Lutron integration. The status of the motion sensors is not exposed through the Lutron-Hubitat telnet interface, so the sensors are only useful within the Lutron app. That makes the Lutron sensors less useful.

The Zigbee motion sensors connect directly with Hubitat. I can then use motion events to trigger Lutron lighting automations. I have this setup in my master bathroom, but do not wish the automations to trigger after bedtime. Thus, I simply restrict the automation to waking hours. You can do this in either Basic Rules (which I find to be simpler) or using Rule Machine.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks for the info. So can I program the Hue motion sensor to only turn on the lights automatically during certain hours but be able to turn them off at any time once it doesn't sense motion for a particular amount of time?

Yes. You should explore the built-in app called "Room Lighting".

1 Like

The room lighting is a specialized version of Basic rules and Rule Machine. I have not tried it, but it should work. I use Basic Rules.

The motion sensors detect motion any time of the day or night. Between the hours of 6:00 am and 10:00 pm, I have the lights come on whenever motion is detected. The lights stay on as long as motion is active. When motion is no longer active, a countdown timer leaves the light on for 10 minutes. After the timer expires, the lights turn off. If motion resumes during that time, the lights stay on. Motion detectors will not detect motion through shower doors. Thus, if I stay in the shower too long, the lights will turn off, but will come back on as soon as I step out of the shower.

Here is my basic rule:

When Bathroom Motion activates
Turn on Bathroom Lights
Wait until Bathroom Motion stops and stays inactive for 10 minutes,
Then turn off Bathroom Lights
Rule and pending actions can run ... Only between 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM.

I have a Lutron Caseta Dimmer, a pico remote, and a Hue Motion sensor.

I would like the lights to work as follows:

automatically turn off with no motion after 5 minutes (any time of day)
automatically turn on when motion is sensed during waking hours (8am to 10:30pm)
not automatically turn on during sleeping hours (10:30pm to 8am)
not automatically turn on after the Pico remote has turned the light off (going to bed early, turn off the lights with the Pico before the 10:30pm cutoff, I don't want the lights coming back on with motion)

I'm using Room Lighting App. Is this the correct programming?