Looking for ideas - image layer triggers

I'm toying with a dynamic method to show motion in my home in a single tile. THe idea I'm trying to work out is this - I want to have 10 'layers' (the photoshop term) and when motion is detected a layer is enabled. I don't use HE dashboard, I am a happy user of Android Dashboard.

My idea is that if I have a tile, and the tile has a background image of my house floor plan EG;
test1
I would create motion active transparent tiles that overlay only the room they are associated with, then when motion is active that 'layer' would trigger and I'd get a visual representation of the motion in the room. It would also allow motion in other rooms so I'd get a big picture view.
Then, taking this one image, I'd output it to a tile with an embedded and I could then size the tile and have a neat active layout.

Maybe I'm over thinking? But if anyone has an idea how I can trigger a layer (also called the Z property I think) I'd be very appreciative!

1 Like

I would just have the motion tile the size of the individual room and make the inactive transparent. Have the active background to the color of your choice and make it around 20% transparent. This way you will be able to see the whole house plan and an active color of that room only.

1 Like

I thought of that - but i'm limited to 4 devices in 'stack' and if one is background, then really only 3 rooms function. hmmm... soft trigger a layer... sounds like a script I read about once... gonna go research that...

Yeah, I am referring to the native HE dashboard and not really understanding your layers dashboard. Whatever you are trying to do. It sure looks pretty damn neat with that gif above.
Post your final dashboard if possible. Would love to see the visual you are talking about.

well.. hmm. I sorta kinda got something - using a tool called ImageMagick I can generate the icon in about 1 second. using 10 variables in a command line I can trigger the image creation then push it into the file location to be read.
Problem is the trigger event on the motion causes the image to change before I can write the image out....

Cool idea. Imagine taking this further to a nice ramping histogram/lookup table for temperature mapping of your home.

There are all sorts of next level stuff that could be done to offer intuitive visual summaries of our automation and monitoring.

I just can't get excited about going down those rabbit holes and then having to maintain the tweaks as the platform evolves. I'm already chagrined with feeling impelled to move rules along with the evolution of RM to take advantage of those developments .

I can offer zero help here in brainstorming the best way to do this, but once you have something, I'd love to see it as this is a fantastic idea!

Seconded. Very cool.

You could try my image cycle driver as a starting point, that I used for weather radar images, but just don't cycle them. I did like the idea of native tiles overlayed, turning then on / off like any switch, but that would become hard with irregular shapes. Images of some kind would give ultimate flexibility.