LIFX Local Control

What is the process of switching to the integrated driver?

It's relatively straightforward, you can keep both running as you go - discovery is very quick (and automatic) on the integrated driver - I haven't tried discovery with the latest version - hopefully it's a little simpler now, e.g. providing the correct name for each LIFX device automatically. If you followed my original advice and created a group for each device then it's even more straightforward and you should only need to change the device that the group is pointing to and all your automations should work fairly seamlessly.

I would recommend deleting each original device as soon as all references to it are gone otherwise polling may cause issues.

4 Likes

Also the entire LIFX Lan Protocol was implemented in classes.. So it fully supports community drivers to tap into more advanced features.. I'm looking forward to what the community devs will come up with..

5 Likes

thankyou so much all! i have 80 lifx lights so need to dedicate some time ha

2 Likes

Just did it.

• I first installed the new app and discovered my bulbs.
  • I added them with the same name as before, but with a "2" at the end.
  • I then went in any automation that referred to them, unchecked the old name, and checked the new name.
  • I removed the old app.
  • Went into Hubitat Package Manager and uninstalled the old app and drivers.
  • Finally I renamed the new devices removing the trailing "2".
2 Likes

noticing a big diff ? i'm excited to lose popcorn

1 Like

Just did it a few minutes before posting so have not done much but confirm they work. I do see much lower usage in the logs for both app and device.

2 Likes

I wonder if it still gets the UDP Socket error. Though I have not updated Rob's app in quite a few months so that might've been fixed anyway.

1 Like

No UDP socket error here.. It's all handled inside the hub not the app, the app is just there for UI. It's a server socket that stays open as long as the app is installed, and automatically starts up when the hub boots..

I'm wondering if this may be that the built-in integration, being built around the concept of local automation, assumes that all control will be via Hubitat, and therefore does not implement any device polling to reconcile state? Probably not a deal-breaker for most users here

migrated over! pretty painless.

the lifx strips do not get recognised as strip tho they are entered as color. so i just had to manually update those and they work great. you inspired me @nicholb

1 Like

I created a new thread for discussion of the new built-in drivers - so that we don't clutter this thread for anyone who wants to continue using @rob's code

It does have polling

2 Likes

Please send me a screenshot of the device data section.. I may need to update the detection.. If it didn’t find an appropriate model, the fallback is the color driver.

It's exciting to see Hubitat offering their own app for LIFX now. Our house has 40 LIFX bulbs and we are remaining on the @rob + @dkilgore90 drivers for now. The drivers are working great and I've been impressed with the responsiveness of the developers in this forum. It's been a fantastic journey: From only a few models of bulbs supported to the whole range, and improvements along the way that, among other things, got rid of the notorious "popcorning" effect.

I'll give it a few months to see how the new drivers stabilize, then look at switching over. Big thanks to Rob and the other contributors to the drivers for this illuminating experience.

I completely switched over to the Hubitat LIFX drivers a while ago now, and they seem pretty stable to me, although I only currently have bulbs installed. Less popcorning than with my drivers.

3 Likes

@bcopeland is there any chance of adding setState functionality? I use it heavily on all my bulbs. It's a way to transition laterally between colors and has a big set of colors in rob's code. It's the only thing preventing me from switching to the built in integration.

Possibly .. What is it?

You provide a map with the HSL (and or colour name/hexcode and an optional duration I think) and it sets them all in one go.

Not sure I can remember where the idea came from - possibly from the original cloud based LIFX implementation.

Stephack originally added the color map, which I think came from the ST driver, which I then talked rob into importing into his. :relaxed:

1 Like