Ikea Blinds

I don't think that's correct. I was able to touchlink IKEA remotes in the past with both the SmartThings hub and the device (Trådfri bulbs), but could not do the same with HE. There seems to be some level of touchlink support on the ST hub.

Then the connected bulb remote would work with ST. The only reason you need to pair a TL remote to the hub is so the TL remote doesn't steal control from the hub/bridge. TL remote are controllers, so how would they work with the hub?

In the cases that I'm aware of, they are cheating by monitoring the state of the bulb. It's not really an integrated remote. I suspect if you looked at the related post in the ST community for that driver, they are probably doing a touch link with the remote to the hub, and then the shade.

1 Like

No, they're not actually. The remote is a button device. But I actually looked at the driver so I cheated I guess.

Not true.....
From my post above they make a 38" x 76" motorized roller shade and even a 48" x 76" motorized roller shade. Just not available yet in the US.

And we don't know how much those will cost in the US so you can't use them for comparison. Plus, for a 60" wide window, what are you going to use? A 48" and a 12"? That'll look great.

For a very brief period of time I saw all of the sizes listed on the IKEA website and posted the prices here. Ikea Blinds - #61 by craigspree

Rumor has it (Reddit...) that IKEA will finally sell and list all sizes on 11/1 in the US.

Obviously, shortly after I posted the prices above IKEA de-listed all the shades except for 2 sizes. Of the 2 sizes listed the prices matched what I posted earlier so I expect those will be the final prices we will see. Eventually we will find out. :slight_smile:

But the largest they have is 48", correct? So, to cover a 60" window yo would need two of the 30" ones, correct? That would be $300 for that window. While, you can go to Home Depot right now and order custom Bali motorized blinds for only $207 to cover the same window and not have the gap in the middle of it.

So, I don't think that the Ikea blinds are as cheap as they were purported to be, that is all that I'm saying.

Seem like Ikea dropped the ball on this one with all the delays. They should have just said coming soon or something after the first delay instead of just stringing people along promising they will be released on multiple dates.

I am wondering what exactly you priced for $207.
I could not come up with that price for motorized blinds.
$174 is just to add a motor with IR remote to any blind.
$200 for z-wave...

Sorry, I did not mean to call you a lair. I was just asking how you were able to get that price. I apologize again...

1 Like

Excuse me....whoever flagged the post where I proved I was not in fact, making it up, that's really childish.

You been so angry lately :joy: , but I read a lot from you, now stupid question for you, those Bali, they work on HE?

I was bummed to find out the Ikea blinds only go to 48" wide. My window is 60". These Bali's might be a decent option if they work with he. The only compatible shades in the he list right now are the Lutron Serena. Those run $500-$700 which is just way too much.
However, I did find this about one of the powered Bali options that doesn't look very promising:

Above screenshot was fro the EasyView option. Looks like the more expensive AutoView option would be required for smart home integration..

@vjv

We have 5 of the Bali "AutoView" Cellular Shades (Z-Wave) setup in Hubitat.
At the time of setup the only way to get them to work 100% was to set them up as a Dimmer, which is not a big deal.

Here is the post talking about seeing them up in Hubitat....

Like I said we have the Bali "AutoView" motorized shades, it looks like they have another type of motorized shade called EasyView. Not sure if that is RF or not?

1 Like

With driver ported from ST for Ikea blinds, Google does not even recognize them and Alexa see as a dimmer...
For Bali blinds - "Easy view" only works with IR remote, no z-wave. AutoView - Zwave.

1 Like

I think based on his description and the image his blind is 60" deep not 60" wide...

There's a possibility of larger sizes in the future. In interviews, Björn Block who is the global business leader for IKEA Smart Home has stated that they just want to make sure the product works as expected in these sizes. He hinted in one interview with Stacey Higgenbothem that larger sizes were more challenging. Probably due to battery life if I were to guess at the reason.

So yes, I too which I could get a larger size for my 70" wide bedroom window, but there is no other affordable choice for me but to wait and see. I completely understand the careful approach they are taking.

1 Like

@Angus_M

It doesn't matter what size you enter (38x62 or 60x40), it will default to same window "shape" in the back ground and put your design on top of it.

I just created one, 96" by 90" and it still shows the same window shape as everyone else's.