Hue Motion sensors - motion staying active

I believe that's actually (now) correct behavior.

The RED LED indicated "no reply received" because previously HE didn't reply to the Hue Motions Sensors as they were expecting. Under 2.0.8 this has been fixed and the sensors should now behave the same as they would do under a Hue Bridge.

Thanks for clearing that up Martyn. Like Raidflex, it was a bit of reassurance to see the red light on initial detection, but I understand now that we don't want this red light, as its not correct behaviour.

Interesting did not know that is correct behavior. I still had to fresh them after the initial update to 2.0.8 but they seem to be working ok so far, but need to give it more time.

I'm afraid i've had another lockup with the active status on my Front Room Hue Motion Sensor since the 2.0.8 update, so it would seem we still have a problem.

When the sensor is in this state, does the led blink when it goes active?

No it doesn't have any light indications. I have tried to refresh it to set it back to inactive and its not responding. Looks like its dropped off the network.

i'll have another look in the morning as its way past my bedtime here in the UK!

The lack of the light flashing red indicates it got a response from the hub, that or the battery is dead.

This morning, when entering the Front Room, I got the red LED flash. It can't be a flat battery as the motion sensor is only 1 week old. It would seem that it has dropped off the network.

I have the similar log as you showed above. After test, I guess it caused by the algorithm of the driver.

When it is in "Active" mode (motion detected), with high sensitivity (usually Hue motion has High, medium and low sensitivity three settings), it will report lux every 5 secs even lux value not changed until it is turning to "inactive" mode in 10 seconds by default before the next motion detected/triggered. However, if there is motion detected during the waiting period, it will restart the counting for 10 seconds. For example, motion detect at 1st sec, then it should be inactive at 11th sec, but another motion detected at 5th sec, then it will be inactive at 15th sec. But it won't log as motion again. That's why it seems keep staying active

When it is in "inactive" mode. If there is no motion, it will report lux in 5 minutes or more, which is normal.

You could set/change re-trigger time from Ver 2.0.9. It is 10 seconds by default, you could set for 30 seconds, 1 minute, 3 minutes, etc. Long waiting period means more lux events could be generated when motion detected. You have to balance it by yourself.

BTW, anyone knows what's the "T" button used for in the sensor (you could see it with the back panel opened)?

Mike,

I am having an issue with my Smartthings Motion Sensors locking to active, just like this thread: SmartThings motion detector frequently needs reset

I was researching replacements and found this thread on Hue Motion Sensors... now I am unsure which motion sensor to go with.

Shane.

I had a hue outdoor sensor go active yesterday and it never went inactive . It is a new sensor ( 2 weeks old) .

I tried removing and reinserting batteries... no difference. Battery level was last reported at 100%. I tried playing with sensitivity... no help.

My wife was near the detector when it locked up so it was triggering a lot just before it stopped working.

It is only about 10 feet away from a functioning Zigbee wired switch so it should have a solid connection to my Zigbee network.

Is there any way to “ ping” a Zigbee device to see if it is still there?

Right now my gut feeling is that it is simply “ broke” but I will try changing the batteries before I toss it.

Any other thoughts ?

More likely a mesh problem. My Hue sensors and switches are pretty touchy regarding repeaters. They repeat well through Samsung outlets. Bring it inside and see if it starts working. Also, there was a firmware update for it, but you would need a Hue hub to update it.

The plot thickens... last night (2AM) , an Iris motion detector went active and never went inactive. It is quite a ways from the house and nearest repeater but has been reliable since I installed it two weeks ago.

The problem with the Iris motion detector has been figured out. It was “ something stupid “.

Back to just the Hue detector. Busy day, haven’t had too much time to mess with it yet.

I swapped the hue detector that was an issue with a new one, which is currently working.

I deleted the “bad one” from Hubitat, repeated it, and it seems to work once again, although right now it is sitting in a box. I will probably put it up someplace this week and see what happens.

Old thread. but this just happened as well to me. I brought it indoors gave the reset button a quick press and it started to work again,

Very odd - it's been working perfectly since it was installed at the beginning of the year. In any case since it was off the mount I took it in and updated the firmware so will see if it happens again.

Low battery made worse with the cold? My outdoor sensor was stuck on Active. Lowered it to lowest setting and it’s working again. Will change them tomorrow. Not sure I ever have. Sensor details say 50, but might be much lower. I’ll measure when I take them out.

Quite the opposite - its 29C here on the other side of the globe. But you could be right about the battery although it's still showing 100%.

So far after updating the firmware and re-pairing things seem to be back to normal.

I had all type of problems with my Hue Motion Sensors until I ripped out all my CREE and WINK Zigbee bulbs and replaced them with Sengled Smart Bulbs. Sengled bulbs don't act like Zigbee repeaters. Bulbs that repeat like Cree and Wink do a terrible job of it.

1 Like

Just another data point. I have 3x hue outdoor and 3x hue indoor motion sensors. Recently the outdoor sensors have either been unresponsive or stuck on active for hours. Same for one of the indoor units.

I added two repeaters and 6-8 hours later the problems went away. This makes no sense since the aggravating indoor sensor is 4 feet from a working unit, and the most aggravating outdoor unit is now a mere 8 feet closer to a repeater.

As has been said many times, radio waves are weird...

I was about to buy a Hue bridge and try to update the firmware (these are all new-ish units), but the fix seems to be to have even more repeaters.

HTH