Hubitat Z-Wave Plus Certification ID

Lets get to the RAW basics here. This will require someone with a problem lock and some other items listed below:

• Problem lock
  • Spare/usable USB z-wave stick
  • Laptop or computer they can move/use
  • Silicon Labs Z-Wave PC Controller (free software)
  • Link to the PC Controller so you don't have to go searching.
    Z-Wave 800 Series End Device Software Development Kit - Silicon Labs
  • Requires an account to download - Just sign up and download. If there's problems there are work around.

Install the PC Controller on the laptop with the USB Z-Wave stick. Erase the Z-Wave stick to ensure it's clean.

Exclude the Lock from any other system and then Include it into the PC Controller with the USB Stick.

Perform basic functions. Lock, Unlock, Status, Etc. Run through whatever tests are desired/wanted to test functionality or lack of functionality.

This is as close to a RAW testing as you can get. There's no middle-man or drivers or software interaction besides a RAW PC Controller and the Device. If everything works then it's not a device problem.

5 Likes

I have a BE469 with FW 6.8 so it is earlier than some. In another life, it was used with Wink. I have the PC software installed somewhere I think and can easily remove and pair the lock with my Aeotec Zstick. I will say though, I don't have problems with the lock connected to HE.

That was posted mostly for those with problems to be able to test. There's also another theory (nothing validated or can be really...not yet) that there may be some hardware issue with some hubs and not others. This would explain how random the problems are of things work great for some and not for others.

Agreed. And radio issues can be a matter inches one way or another or antennae orientation and reflected signals.

2 Likes

To be clear, assuming we're talking about the same lock:

1. This lock performed horribly with Wink between August 2014 - first quarter 2015, when Wink fixed their firmware in collaboration with Schlage. After that it was mostly usable. Although occasionally the z-wave network would "stall" - I never ascribed it to the lock until learning of @srwhite's findings (see point 2).
  2. With Hubitat, after adding a sufficient number of repeaters, this lock stayed connected. However, it would occasionally respond very slowly to commands. And when this happened, the entire z-wave network would be unusable for a minute or two. Consistent with @srwhite determining that this Schlage firmware version (FW 6.8) was prone to flooding the z-wave network with nonsense messages ....

I know you haven't seen that yet. I just want to clarify that everything wasn't sunny under Wink either.

3 Likes

Thanks for filling in it's history. With OZWCP, I will be able to keep up with the all the Zwave logs and if there is something randomly doing naughty things, I should be able to capture it.

1 Like

Let me add - I can't tell you the number of times, when the lock would not unlock using the Wink app. But then unlock a while later.

3 Likes

@zarthan @SmartHomePrimer @jeubanks @SoundersDude @bcopeland @srwhite

I have two comments to add to this thread:

It is claimed that Schlage locks (esp. the BE469) work unfailingly with other platforms, especially Wink. This is false; a cursory Google search reveals it to be untrue (see point 2). The reason you see many more complaints about HE and Schlage is because the Hubitat community provides a centralized location to record all gory details. Wink never did that - there are several places where users commiserated about their Schlage lock experiences, including Google+ (alas, no more), Reddit, and Facebook. I don't use FB, and can't search Google+ any more. So point 2 is just the first 10 search results from Reddit from folks complaining about their Schlage locks with Wink.

As I've indicated to @zarthan, my experience with the BE469 was better with HE than Wink. Although still not good enough to keep using the lock. There are better things in life to do than cajole a lock into working. Therefore, I switched locks .....

Edit: Courtesy of my friend Danny, I have a bunch of Facebook screenshots about Wink and Schlage issues. Adding them to this post, so I can bookmark it for future reference.

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.35.23 AM
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.36.14 AM
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.37.01 AM
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.37.34 AM
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.37.50 AM
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.38.08 AM
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.38.49 AM
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.39.05 AM
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.39.17 AM
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 11.39.26 AM

11 Likes

I was the one who started the Google+ group. I dumped the Wink hub shortly after I started it and I turned it over to Jason think it??? Fuzzy memory.

3 Likes

Thank you for this. And I’ll repeat my message (slightly changed for the subject) here that I just posted in another thread regarding slowdowns, because the message is valid here too.

Would be nice if people would just do what’s needed with their problem devices (like add repeaters or dump the problem devices all together) and take the advice given to them so the Hubitat team can get a breather. Trust when they say they are working earnestly towards as stable a platform as they can, and stop standing on their heads 24 hours a day, hurtling negativity, distrust and disparaging remarks at them and their hard work.

And if you’re truly unhappy and an imperfect home automation experience is too stressful for you, then for god sake, please LEAVE home automation. It’s not for you. This entire industry is very young and nothing works perfectly 100% of the time and won’t for a long time to come on ANY platform.

5 Likes

I do. :innocent:

5 Likes

That what keeps all of us employed.

5 Likes

Atta Boy!

1 Like

I'd rather get Donna's views on the subject :rofl:

1 Like

Let's not get personal here :grinning:

2 Likes

I'm not perfect.....

but I'm so damn close it scares me.

2 Likes

I just spotted a slight distortion in the screen on her phone. I was worried that the battery might have been the cause. I replaced the battery, which was the cause and saved the day until the replacement becomes available. She won't have a bad word say at least today.

2 Likes

As a point of record, I have the following and have gotten them into a fantastic state with HE and repeaters.

1. BE469 CA (2018) - Firmware: MAIN_8.0
  2. BE469 ZP CEN 716 (2019) - Firmware: 0.10.9

The older #1 was the most painful for me (but also further away from my hub), both initially had issues (and they did on Wink as well), but resetting them, high quality repeaters and patience on my mesh settling got me in a 100% reliable state.

Now my locks have been super reliable for a few months now, even the #1 old horrible firmware one I have.

The one time things reverted to being bad was when my HE lost power without a graceful shut-down. I have since put it behind a UPS.

4 Likes

I have to say that despite the occasional fall into negativity, this thread has been VERY informative for me. Learned a bit about zwave troubleshooting, Wink history, schlage history. While it may have strayed from the original intent of the post, I have thank @jeubanks for raising the topic.

All in all...good stuff.

9 Likes

Reminds me of an incident from my late teens. During a fight with my then girlfriend (about trying to keep our shanty clean), she first said I was an a-hole, then corrected herself to say I was "a perfect a-hole".

So while you my friend come close to perfection, I have been there :crazy_face:

6 Likes