Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Now that I hadn't considered. You just spin up a VM with rasbian os on it?

Just did it this afternoon at work (sic) now I have to find time to try it out.
I selected a Debian OS during the VM install.

My shopping trip got delayed till Monday, might try and spin up a vm with linux in the meantime ready. Also got the Hubitat for home in the mail so plan to spin that up over the weekend as well, nightshift workload permitting

@jchurch Only 3 ports on the tp-link, but still handy. Think i'll wait for a special of some kind though, that price point is probably a bit exxy. Good for those of us not comfortable with the tasmota flashing.

1 Like

Does anyone know if these Tp-Link Kasa Filament Smart Bulb work with hubitat

1 Like

Welcome Leo. Kasa bulbs aren't natively supported, but there is a community integration. I've started populating product info here AU/NZ Products and Retailer Guide

Not sure with that particular bulb though.

Thanks. The filament bulbs are not mentioned in that thread so might not yet be supported since it's a new product.

I was initially looking at the Hue Filament bulbs and then control them through the Hue bridge but it doesn't look like they will be available in Australia soon. The Tp-Link filament bulbs will be available next week and looks to be cheaper.

Very good chance they'll work with one of the existing drivers. Especially if they're a fixed colour bulb with on off and dim

I've no experience with WiFi bulbs as I only have 1 x TP-Link HS110 with which I'm controlling a string of LED lamps and it's slow. :frowning: Although for this application it's of no consequence.
In terms of speed and responsiveness, in my place it is definitely;
Hardwired - (5 out of 5)
Zigbee - fastest (4.5 out of 5)
Zwave - fast (3.5 out of 5)
WiFi- slow (2 out of 5)

The HS-110 is like..flick the switch, 1001, 1002 and it's ON.

I use Sonoff Basic R3's on 2 lamps in the bedroom and they are almost instant on WiFi so if your thinking of doing bulbs and don't mind cutting the inline cables instead then I highly recommend that for performance. You will need to flash etc but then they do have a DIY mode now so it's easy peasy :wink:

You are right though Zigbee is bloody fast and that's always my go to with WiFi in a close second place. Z-wave given it's country frequency differences and high AUS cost is dead to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways back to the point, those filament bulbs do look nice though, in fact maybe i could just buy some cheap ones (see below) and simply do the inline Sonoff Basics to turn on and off.

My HS-110 is lightning fast.... (like 4.9 out of 5) to the point where its actually quite addictive to turn it on and off just to hear the instant and satisfying 'click'!! That is when interacting through both Hubitat and also the Kasa app. It is understandably slow through the Google Home app.

@njanda Not that the lack of speed deters from your current use case but I think its worth looking into. I wonder if it has anything to do with the presence of Kasa app?? I read the TP-Link Hubitat integration doesn't need it but perhaps it does to keep the comms local...????

Something new I have recently worked on. If you haven't played with ST_Anything HubDuino you are missing out :wink:

https://tinyurl.com/y54qnz8y

5 Likes

Nice one man.
Wish I had a friendly plumber to swap out my old water main tap for a 1/2 turn ball valve.
Then Iā€™d be going down a similar path.

1 Like

Might be worth getting a plumber to install the below and go the same route as me?

1 Like

Iā€™d get gas done at the same time :+1:t2::blush:

1 Like

@jchurch - Why am I thinking add a motion sensor and use it as a water gun ambush...ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..

2 Likes

I am going to build a sprinkler system so yes that could be done :grin::grin:

Can anyone recommend a decent siren? Was looking at something like this SmartHome - DOME Z-Wave Indoor Siren or this Radio Parts - Electronics & Components - AB02Z Z-WAVE 100DB SIREN ALARM DOOR CHIME.

1 Like

Sure can. Also our good friend @anon61068208 just created a Shelly 1 Alarm driver for it too :slight_smile:

http://blog.smarterhome.club/2019/09/07/shelly1strobealarm/

1 Like