Hub not responding after upgrade to 2.3.4.150

I have two hubs at my house: a C-4 and a C-7. This morning I tried to apply the 2.3.4.150 update to both of them. The C-4 took an unusually long time but eventually came back. My C-7 never got the web interface working again.

It does have a few things going:

• I can ping it
  • It shows up in the Hubitat iPhone app, and in the Remote Admin hub list. (though I can't actually connect through either.)
  • I can access the Diagnostic Tool on port 8081.

But I can't get into the main web interface on the C-7, and it's not sending hub mesh updates out to the C-4.

Things I have tried:

• Rebooting it through the Diagnostic Tool
  • Downgrading it back to 2.3.4.139
  • Fully shutting it down through the Diagnostic Tool, and then doing a hard power cycle.

Still no luck. I can ping it, and I can log into the Diagnostic Tool, but the main interface and functionality are completely unresponsive.

Edit: Just tried a soft reset and it still appears bricked. I can only access the Diagnostic Tool.

I just upgraded to v2.3.4.150 on my Development C-7 and it seems to be working just fine. (Its a Development hub and so nothing important runs on it, except brief periods of testing.) :slight_smile:

I'd have thought the downgrade would have worked.. My only idea is to soft reset, NOT restore anything and then power cycle. Obviously, the goal is to get the GUI back to working.

Does it come backup if you download the last few backups from a few days ago and you do a soft reset.

I have seen a corrupt database cause a issue like this a few major versions back

Hmmm. I just downloaded a backup from yesterday. Then I did a soft reset. The Diagnostics Tool came back, but the main interface is still not responding. Dammit.

Try another soft reset. Do not restore anything. Then power down, unplug and wait 1min + then plug it in and let it reboot. what happens

Unplug from the wall not the back of the C7

Ok, I tried a few more things:

• Another soft reset. Powered down and unplugged for a few minutes, then let it reboot. No change.
  • Tried to put it into Safe Mode. No change.

The LED on the front is blue. I don't know what all that means. But it sure seems bricked.

Just linking this thread for reference

From the FAQ

My hub shows a permanent blue light, now what?

Try performing a factory reset by following the >following steps while you are on the local network:

• Go to >http://192.168.X.XX:8081/factory/recovery and >select Start Factory Recovery. Then select >confirm.
  • Go to http://192.168.X.XX:8081/ and select >Download Latest Version. Then select >confirm.
  • Go to http://192.168.X.XX:8081/setup and wait >until it says You will be automatically redirected >to your Hubitat Elevation.
  • Unplug the hub from the wall outlet, wait 15 >seconds, then plug it in again.
  • NOTE: replace 192.168.X.XX IP with actual IP >address of your new hub as assigned by your >router.

Hmmm, if I click the "Download Latest Version" button, it asks me to confirm. I do, and then I get a big red error box saying "Could not fetch latest version information." That doesn't seem good.

Did your factory recovery work ok? I saw that there was a typo in the link and just fixed that

If you haven't already you probably should engage @support_team so they can start to look at your hub.

1 Like

For C-5 and newer hubs, a blue LED means that platform isn't starting. For C-4 hubs is normal. Can you please send a private message to @support_team so we can further investigate?

2 Likes

Yes, I will do that. Thanks!

3 Likes

Possibly hub cannot resolve the host name due to a dns issue?

Try doing a network reset with the hidden button on the bottom of the hub. Hold for 7-10s and let go, light should flash and it will reboot.

Ok, Hubitat support is working with me. Hopefully we'll find something in the engineering logs. And fortunately this isn't my main hub. Only 10 or 15 devices on it.

2 Likes

Ok, I wanted to circle back with the resolution. @gopher.ny was awesome to work with and ran me through some stuff. Looks like the startup "stuff" for the platform got messed up, in a way that soft resets wouldn't fix. (At least, that's my understanding.) Seems to have been a rare thing. I've never had an issue like this, through many many updates.

But here's what got me back working:

• I ended up having to do a full reset.
  • When it came back, I used the Diagnostic Tool to set the platform to the same version as my latest backup.
  • After a few minutes, the "get started" pages appeared. Hooray!
  • I restored from my backup. Note that I was NOT expecting z-wave devices to work. I expected the full reset to reset the z-wave radio.
  • Well, I got lucky. It looks like the z-wave radio did not reset. All my z-wave devices are still working! I think that was also a bug, but I'm not complaining.
  • And then when I re-ran the 2.3.4.150 upgrade, it did it quickly with no problems.

Thanks to the folks in Hubitat support!

6 Likes

I have this same issue right now. Working with support to try and resolve it. The fact you had to do a factory reset doesn't give me hope. This is my main hub with 30+ devices on it.

That being said it makes me wonder how many of you run multiple hubs. If I'm going to stick with this platform I'm wondering if it would make sense to split my set up on to addition hubs so everything isn't affected when one hub goes down with an update.

A FULL reset, which @jwetzel1492 did, is not the same as a FACTORY reset. In fact, a factory reset is no longer available via the Diagnostic Tool.

It should be noted that a full reset does NOT reset either the z-wave or zigbee radios.

Therefore, a full reset followed by restoring a backed up database essentially restores your hub to a fully functional state. There is no need to re-pair any device, or recreate any app.

Not a bug. A full reset is designed not to touch either the zigbee or z-wave radio.

5 Likes

This is the only time since I have been on here I have seen an update take down a hub, so I would consider it rare. Especially rare since a soft reset did not easily fix it. Also, you have the choice of when to update, a some users only update when the major version has stabilized (so final 2.4.x version). Some people only update if there is a new feature they want to take advantage of.

4 Likes

That's interesting. In the diagnostic tool, the button says "Full Reset (deletes radio settings)".

2 Likes

Confirming that it does say it deletes.

2 Likes