Hub not responding after upgrade to 2.3.4.150

Weird. I've done this once. And was explicitly told it did not touch the radios. That warning wasn't there in the diagnostic tool either.

Im thinking it was an ip address change. Just cause you could ping it doesn't mean it was the hub. Im thinking something else grabbed the ip. If it happens again check the router the see mac address.

This is a genuine, if rare, issue. We'll be rolling out an update to prevent it shortly.

6 Likes

Prevent is good, but will I be able to apply the update to restore my current nonworking hub?

@gopher.ny and @bobbyD set me up with some instructions on a FactoryRecovery and the new 2.3.4.153 version. Hub is operational again. The thought of potentially having to redo my full Zwave network had me stressed a bit. Not looking to spend more money on additional hubs, but it might be the best option. At least then if one hub goes down I'm not completely down. I really only use the hubs for the Zwave radio, all automation is done in HA

I am also impacted by this problem after the 150 update. None of the procedures in this thread have helped because they 1) ask for the backup to get restored after soft reset, but there is no restore option, or 2) ask for a change in the settings page, but I can't get to the GUI. I can get to the diagnostic page and that's about it. Even the download latest version button says it can't fetch new. My ZW & Zigbee networks are small - I don't mind doing a total reset if it will get me running again. As it stands, I have a brick with a diagnostic page.

Have you downloaded a backup from the Diagnostics Tool?

This points to a DNS or internet connection issue.
Have you done a network reset using the hidden button on the bottom of the hub? Hold for 10 seconds and let go, blue LED will flash then the hub reboots.

What diagnostic tool version do you have? Mine is 1.1.110

@gopher.ny or @bobbyD is there some secret instructions that will get to this mystical "FactoryRecovery" mentioned above that fixed the issue for someone else?

1 Like

I have several, from various versions going back. But can't get to the screen with the restore link. If I go to 192.168.x.y:8081/setup I get a static page that says it is Downloading latest version.

It also says, "If you are seeing this screen for an extended period of time, please contact Support. For assistance, email support@hubitat.com" which is bad advice since that address is not monitored.

That /setup link I am not sure where you got it? It looks old. It does work for me and shows the same thing.

I think you might be on an old diagnostic tool. But I dont know if you can update it without the port 80 gui. You could try this link to see if it will work: http://hubitat.local/hub/cloud/updateDiagnosticTool

Otherwise will have to wait for support to see what got the other people working again, they did not post the instructions on the forums.

Ooh, one thought! On the diagnostics tool, is the date and time correct? If it's not, fix it and try the "download latest" again. Apparently it has to be accurate.

1 Like

I saw another post about the network reset button in relation to the can't fetch issue. I have tried it, but the blue light never flashes, and no evidence of a reboot. Also manually power cycled after doing this. No luck.

Good call! The time was incorrect. After correcting, I get the message that I am at the current version. Here are my versions:

Platform version: 2.3.4.153
Hardware version: Rev C-7
Diagnostics tool version: 1.1.110
IP address: 192.168.x.y
Hub ID: {redacted}
Hub time: 2/23/2023, 11:53:42 AM

2 Likes

Normally a Soft Reset should clear the DB and then reboot the hub. When it comes back up you use the normal UI to restore your backup.

Have you tried Safe Mode at all? Not sure what it does but worth a shot.

I also have an option to install platform 2.3.4.133, not sure why, maybe there is a chance rolling back to that version will fix something?

As a last resort you could use the link above to get the full unlocked diagnostic page with the Full Reset option. It says it deletes the radio info but someone above said it did not, but it did fix the issue.

Even if you do the full reset, you can still restore your backup. The zigbee devices should pair and drop back into the same device I think. Zwave would create a new device but you could use swap apps to shift the app links to the new device and then remove the old device entry.

Are you SURE you want to do a factory reset?

use with extreme caution, only as a last resort and preferably only if advised by hubitat staff or support http://yourhubIPhere:8081/factory/recovery

I tried safe mode last week as one of the first things after I noticed it wasn't working. It didn't appear to make a difference. I opened with the fullui arg and first tried rolling back to 2.3.4.133 as you noted. Still a blue light and no GUI.

When I push the red Full Reset button, it spins for about 20-30 seconds and shows "Z-Wave reset failed, please try again." [close button] I tried a second time with the same result.

There was still no GUI, so I tried reverting back to current ver 153. Hub flashed red briefly during the reboot, but resumed its steely blue stare after a few seconds.

I was about to give up when it turned green! :grinning: Took it a minute, but I think I can get in to reconfigure it. I have to go offline for a while, but will report final status this evening. Thanks for everybody who chimed in.

2 Likes

If you downloaded your backups you can should be able to do a restore once you are in the normal UI. Either when it first loads or from the backup/restore settings page.

If you decide to start over from scratch, make sure you reset the ZigBee and Z-Wave radios so you don't have leftover junk in those. Since it sounds like the full reset possibly did not work right.

1 Like

Correcting the time doesn't have instant effect. Please allow some time before you do anything else. Perhaps you going offline is the break your hub needs to catch up :wink:

I wanted to thank everybody for the help and add a summary of what happened in case there are others. The basic solution was the same as above in post#15 of this thread. Full reset (red button on the secret diagnostic screen), and then going to the current version. I chose not to try a restore because I wanted a clean slate (house is under construction and I only had a few devices & rules)

The complications on my process included:

• Hub's time was set back to 2014. Prevented updates. The diagnostic screen can set it correctly.
  • The full reset failed to complete. Error on the zwave radio I mentioned in my original thread. Once the GUI was up, I went into settings and reset my ZW and Zigbee radios. These finished w/o error and I was able to exclude/include all my devices in turn.

The main thing I wanted to preserve were the lock codes because I'd given some out to contractors. The process to excl/incl the Kwikset zwave lock did not lose the codes. Can't wait until I'm back in the house because a lot of smart features are going in now during the build phase.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.