HELTUN Z-Wave Quinto Relay HE-RS01

In Jul '21 @bcopeland responded to this thread regarding Heltun HE-RS01, indicating that they were working on a driver for the device, and later that it was complete and included in 2.2.9. Reading the discussion closely, it looks like @bcopeland was actually talking about a driver for Heltun TPS05.

Has anyone successfully used Heltun HE-RS01 with Hubitat? I have one powered up, but I have not been able to include it successfully. What would be needed to get this device to operate with Hubitat?

As I stated in the thread you refer to, I got it working. I just added it with the driver for Heltun Relay Switch Quinto. At some point it stopped working but then I just excluded it and included it again and then it worked the whole summer. I'll soon start using it again, so Im crossing my fingers it's still working :grin:

@wentzel I'm glad to hear you had the Heltun HE-RS01 working.

To confirm, did you add it simply through: Add device > Device type > Relay > Heltun > Start Z-Wave Inclusion? Or did you have to add a driver?

I have tried the former several times, with no success.

Also, is your HE-RSO1 operating on 908.4 MHz? According to Heltun's manual the device can be configured for different Z-Wave frequencies using "Parameter 01: Frequency Region", but I am beginning to think mine may be configured for 868.4 MHz. I suppose I could change the parameter, but I would need to include it in a 868.4 MHz network first. Any idea the quickest way to accomplish this?

No I just add it manually and I think it detected the driver automatically. Or I picked it in the drop-down, I can't remember.

Sorry I'm no expert so I can't help with the frequency. My guess would be that you need a z-wave USB plug to setup a z-wave network with the correct frequency. But maybe you can just return the device and buy one with the correct frequency already set?

@wentzel Good idea. Where did you purchase yours (apparently preconfigured for 908.4 MHz) ...?

I discovered the solution, and it is easy. For anyone else stumbling through, here is what I learned through this tiny quest.

• Some z-wave devices can be configured by end users to communicate on different frequencies.
  • For the Heltun HE-RS01, the desired z-wave frequency can be set using "Parameter 01: Frequency Region"
  • To change this configuration parameter, you must first include the device in a z-wave network communicating at the frequency the device is currently set for.
  • The z-wave radio onboard the Hubitat C-7 can be switched to operate at different frequencies. See Hubitat Documentation > Z-Wave Manual > Z-Wave Region Selection
  • For the Heltun HE-RS01, the change in this parameter only takes effect after the device is excluded.
  • Presently (C-7, 2.3.5), Hubitat does include a system driver for "Heltun Relay Switch Quinto"; however the driver currently does not facilitate changing configuration parameters.
  • Luckily, the Basic ZWave Tool posted by @mike.maxwell facilitates changing configuration parameters.

My biggest oversight in this quest was that I did not realize that the z-wave radio on Hubitat C-7 can be switched to different frequencies. I had read previous posts, such as this one, explaining the need for an external USB z-wave radio outside the US; and I noticed that Hubitat sells Europe Version of both C-7 and C-8. Thus, I mistakenly overlooked this awesome feature.

In this process, I also discovered that one could purchase a z-wave stick with firmware for the EU frequency, then use a tool such as Silicon Labs Simplicity Studio to setup a temporary z-wave network from a computer simply for the purpose of changing configuration parameters or updating device firmware. I will probably do this in the future because, as you may see, it is a little onerous to accomplish this using the radio on-board Hubitat.

So, the step-by-step solution to get the HE-RS01 working on my C-7 was as follows:

1. Unbox HE-RS01 and power it up (I used 240VAC)
  2. Select Settings>Z-Wave Details and switch Z-Wave Region to "Europe" (ie: 868.4 MHz), and select Save.
  3. Select Settings>Shut Down (you must shutdown the hub for z-wave frequency changes to take effect).
  4. After the LED on the front of the hub turns red, unplug the hub from wall power, wait at least 30 seconds, then reconnect to power and wait for the hub to reboot.
  5. Select Devices > Add device > Z-Wave (add device manually) > Start Z-Wave Exclusion to set the hub in exclusion mode, then follow device-specific sequence to initiate z-wave exclusion (eg: press the button twice quickly).
  6. Select Devices > Add device > Device type > Relay > Heltun > Start Z-Wave Inclusion to add the device using the built in driver "Heltun Relay Switch Quinto". (I also had success with Smart Start, and with manual inclusion, both of which found the right driver).
  7. View the device and test functions.
  8. Install Drivers Code for the Basic ZWave Tool
  9. Change the device driver to the Basic Z-Wave tool. (View the device and under Device Information and change Type to "Basic Z-Wave tool" and select Save Device. User defined drivers installed through Drivers Code are listed toward the end of the drop down under "User")
  10. To change the configuration parameter(s), use the Set Parameter command. (For the Heltun HE-RS01, value=1, size=1, for parameterNumber=1, corresponds to 908.4 MHz).
  11. Change back to the original device driver. (View the device and under Device Information and change Type back to "Heltun Relay Switch Quinto" and select Save Device. (The next step won't work if you don't switch back to the original device driver).
  12. Exclude the device. Select Devices > Add device > Z-Wave (add device manually) > Start Z-Wave Exclusion to set the hub in exclusion mode, then follow device specific sequence to initiate z-wave exclusion (press the button twice quickly).
  13. Select Settings>Z-Wave Details and switch Z-Wave Region to "USA" (ie: 908.4 MHz), and select Save.
  14. Select Settings>Shut Down (you must shutdown the hub for z-wave frequency changes to take effect).
  15. After the LED on the front of the hub turns red, unplug the hub from wall power, wait at least 30 seconds, then reconnect to power and wait for the hub to reboot.
  16. Select Devices > Add device > Device type > Relay > Heltun > Start Z-Wave Inclusion to add the device using the built in driver "Heltun Relay Switch Quinto".
  17. View the device and test functions.
  18. All done!

In hindsight, the process is actually very simple, but it is not obvious if you are fumbling around in the dark. I hope my explanation is helpful for others. In terms of form, function, and flexibility, the Heltun Quinto is really unparalleled, so I'm excited to use it.

Hi @woolley ,

Does the integration work correctly for you? How many devices do you see in Hubitat's GUI? Can you see relays, LEDs/buttons and sensors? In my case, I have sensors and relays but buttons and LEDs are missing. Because of that, I can't use buttons as buttons if they are decoupled with the built-in relay.