Getting Started, Can't get GE/Jasco 46201 to work

The GE/Jasco 46201 is discovered and enrolled. The tile in the dashboard has the name assigned at the top and says "switch" at the bottom. The center of the tile is a "?" Clicking on the tile does nothing, it does not turn the light on or off. I have tried un-enrolling, factory resetting and re-enrolling the switch but continue to have the same issue. The first device I installed works and the hub describes it as a generic switch. The 46201 is only described as "device". Any help would be appreciated.

What driver is the device using? Is it just "device" or something else? Have you tried changing it to "Generic Z-Wave Switch"? I've not sure what you mean by un-enrolling. Did you do an exclude before you paired the switch again?

1 Like

Yes, I meant exclude when I said un-enrolling. I will try changing the driver, it looks to me like it is using just "device" not "Genric Z-Wave Switch". Thank you,

This is actually a z-wave plus switch, so you want to use the Generic Z-wave Smart Switch not the Generic z-wave switch. In order for it to show up correctly on a dashboard, it has to have some attributes with values. So, you have to sucessfully control it from the edit device page before adding to a dashboard. Can you show a screenshot of the edit device page?

@Ryan780, I could be wrong, but I think the main difference between non-smart Z-Wave switch driver and “smart” Z-Wave switch driver, so far as Hubitat is concerned, is whether the device automatically reports status updates without a “get” after a “set”. The Leviton dimmer you and I were helping with on another thread, for example, is Z-Wave Plus but requires the non-smart driver because it doesn’t automatically send status updates without a “get” or polling.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong information, but I think this is the key distinction.

I have the 46202, which is the same switch but with a toggle. I couldn't remember which driver it installed with. I use this one to get the double-tap.

That is not true. That is the difference between z-wave plus and z-wave devices. Z-wave plus will report local changes , z-wave will not.

I’m not sure that’s correct. The driver you recently posted that you use, for example, follows each “set” with a “get” for the Leviton devices, supporting what I have experienced, which is that their status will not update automatically if you use the “smart” driver and then try to send commands from the hub. Try it: set to the “smart” driver, click on/off, and see if the status updates without clicking “refresh”. I will also test this again when I have a chance to see if it has changed.

EDIT: I just went ahead and tested this. At least for my setup, my description is correct: "smart" switches/dimmers—including, for purposes of this thread, all GE in-wall switches/dimmers, to my knowledge, but excluding the Leviton Z-Wave Plus plug-in dimmer and some other switches/dimmers, regardless of whether they are Z-Wave Plus—report their state automatically after being set from Hubitat, while the "non-smart" dimmers do not report their state after being set from the hub without receiving a subsequent "get" command from the hub.

Whether a device reports its state automatically after receiving a "set" command from the hub has nothing directly to do with whether the device is Z-Wave or Z-Wave Plus, though most newer devices have opted to go with the automatic-reporting behavior.

That is incorrect. You want to search the forum for the dozens of posts on this topic. Please don't insult my intelligence. This is not an opinion this is a fact.

Hi, @Ryan780. I'm of course not under the impression that this is an opinion, rather than a fact. Yes, I have read the posts described above, among others; I note that several examples are discussed of devices that are Z-Wave Plus but that require the non-smart version of the system driver because the devices do not otherwise report their status updates. I wasn't aware that this behavior is unintended (i.e., means the "smart" version of the driver just hasn't been updated for these devices). I went ahead and requested review of the driver for the Z-Wave Plus Leviton device in another thread so that it will work with the "smart" version of the driver.

EDIT: In case helpful for someone referencing this thread in the future, the author of the drivers describes the actual distinction among the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer, Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer, and Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer here: Can't get Leviton Dimmer Module to Dim - #26 by mike.maxwell

Thanks for the help! Got it working. Went to edit device, selected the generic smart switch driver and changed the name from device to switch. Sure appreciate the responses.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.