Motion lighting additional motion sensors

Yeah... I know that. But my question is, it seems that if motion goes active again during the timeout, the lights don't come back on. It's not just the sensor going inactive and active again but it has to wait till after the timeout to turn the lights back on.

So, motion goes inactive, timeout begins.
Motion goes active before timeout finished. Lights don't come on.

1 Like

Are you omitting a step in this description:

motion goes inactive
light is turned off manually
motion goes active before timeout, but lights don't come on

??

Are you sure that the light in question is reporting the physical off? Look at its events. If it doesn't report it, Motion Lighting will think the lights are already on, and not turn them on. I have to think about that one, whether it should turn them on even if it thinks they are already on.

whether it should turn them on even if it thinks they are already on

@bravenel The correct answer is Yes. :smiley:

It becomes "self healing" in the sense that device & automation both agree, in my opinion.

No, the lights get turned off while motion is active. If the switch is in the same room as the sensor, the lights get turned off while the sensor is active... So here's a full breakdown

Motion active lights on
Switch off manually
(3 min later - that's the timeout on the sensor)
Motion inactive timeout starts (timer length 3 mins)
1 min later Motion changes to active lights DO NOT turn on.

In fact, if you don't reach the end of the timeout, motion will never turn the lights back on. After much testing I've found that this is the root of all of my motion lighting issues to date.

1 Like

That is not what I am seeing. If you don't reach the end of the timeout in Motion Lighting, motion does not turn the lights back on.

1 Like

Again, the central question is: Is the switch reporting that it's off? If not, the behavior you are seeing is the result.

What kind of switch is it? If older Z-Wave, put it on Z-Wave Poller. That should make it work.

Meanwhile, I think I will make a small change to Motion Lighting that will also fix this. The change would result in switches being told to turn on even when they are already on. That's a bit wasteful, but it would overcome the problem of a switch that doesn't report off in a timely manner.

No, I wouldn't do that because then it will reset the level if it's been changed manually.

The device is reporting off in HE. I don't know why Motion Lighting thinks it's still on but it isn't.
I'm seeing this with Casseta as well as Zwave plus and zigbee bulbs.

Then I can't explain what you are seeing, and cannot reproduce it either.

What do you need from me to prove that this is happening? Once I turn the lights off manually what should change in the motion lighting app details to show that it has recognized that the switch is now off?

Because even if the lights are off manually, the shutoff event stays on the app details page too.

1 Like

In application state, look for "on". If it's true, as below, it won't turn on the lights from motion active.

And, I believe you, I just don't know what's causing it, and as I said, cannot reproduce it here.

I will get screencaps of the switch, sensor and app state during this limbo when I'm home later today.

1 Like

I'm running in to the same issue that @Ryan780 described -- in the following sequence:

1. Walk in to a room & trigger motion sensor
  2. Motion Lighting turns on the lights
  3. Manually switch off the lights
  4. Allow motion sensor to reset
  5. Walk back in to the room (before the Delay Off timer for Motion Lighting)
  6. Motion sensor reports active again, but the lights don't come back on

I checked the application state as you'd suggested, @bravenel , and indeed "on" is set to True when the lights are off. The switch detail page correctly shows the state as "off", and the events page confirms that a physical off had occurred.

Pure speculation: for some reason, Motion Lighting isn't subscribed to the "off" event of the switch once it's already been turned on?

Please show the app setup page. Turn on logging in the app, capture the sequence that fails for you.

Thanks!

Setup page:

Logs:
[Motion sensor]
dev:188 2019-05-25 05:28:17.370 pm info Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor is active
dev:188 2019-05-25 05:28:13.524 pm info Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor is inactive
dev:188 2019-05-25 05:27:51.436 pm info Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor is active

[Zigbee dimmer]
dev:788 2019-05-25 05:27:59.504 pm info Office - Cans was set to 0% [physical]
dev:788 2019-05-25 05:27:51.729 pm info Office - Cans was set to 73% [digital]

[Motion lighting]
app:803 2019-05-25 05:29:02.829 pm info Motion active Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor
app:803 2019-05-25 05:29:01.720 pm info Delaying off for 2 minutes
app:803 2019-05-25 05:29:01.685 pm info Motion inactive Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor
app:803 2019-05-25 05:28:51.650 pm info Motion active Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor
app:803 2019-05-25 05:28:50.866 pm info Delaying off for 2 minutes
app:803 2019-05-25 05:28:50.834 pm info Motion inactive Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor
app:803 2019-05-25 05:28:17.425 pm info Motion active Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor
app:803 2019-05-25 05:28:13.606 pm info Delaying off for 2 minutes
app:803 2019-05-25 05:28:13.571 pm info Motion inactive Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor
app:803 2019-05-25 05:27:51.555 pm info Setting dimmers [Office - Cans] to 73
app:803 2019-05-25 05:27:51.523 pm info Motion active Office - NYCE Ceiling Motion Sensor

Happy to merge those in to a single time ordered list if that's a better view, too.

Are you on the latest build?

We added an option called "Don't turn on if turned off manually". I'm pretty sure we did that because of the opposite situation to what you're describing. And, because without that they would always turn on when motion becomes active.

Moreover, whenever the lights are not turned on from motion active, it will tell you why in the logs.

Instead of copy/paste, it's better to just show a screenshot of logs.

Yep, I'm on the latest build. I don't see anything in the logs describing why it's not turning on -- guessing because it's not registering the physical off event and state.

To get around what you're saying above -- I think it would be nice to have a configurable "hold down timer". So for example, suppose you set the hold down timer to 5 minutes -- after a physical turn off, any motion events would be ignored for 5 minutes. But after that hold down timer expires, subsequent motion events would turn on the load.

This would do it, although it doesn't have to be physical off. See what happens if you turn the lights off from the web ui of the hub. I bet they come back on with motion.

What kind of device is this? There are issues with some devices not reporting off from the switch. This can sometimes be overcome with polling.

Check out Z-Wave Poller, if this device uses Generic Z-Wave Dimmer.

I tried the test you described - turning the dimmer off from the web ui. That didn't change the result -- when the motion sensor becomes active again, the lights do not turn on.

(Device is a Leviton DL6HD-1BZ Lumina RF using the Generic Zigbee Dimmer driver)

I notice that your device didn't report off. It reports 0%. Look at the device events (Events from the device page). See if there are any off events.

Motion Lighting is looking for an off event.