GE Z-Wave Plus Smart Switch not updating status when physical button is pressed

Hello,

I'm using a Habitat C7 that I updated to a year ago during the Christmas sale. I was previously on a C3. The problem is that the GE Smart Switches (2) (Z-Wave Plus) do not update their status (on, off) if the physical switch / button (on or off) is pressed. This was never an issue on the former C3 hub. So, basically, in the Dashboards where these switches are populated, you can control the lights with the app buttons, but it never reflects the current state, unless it was changed digitally (by the hub). Again, if you press the switch paddles, the on/off state does not update. I even went so far as to remove the device from the hub and re-add it. That resulted in the same problem, unfortunately.

I have tried every Z-wave smart switch driver, including the generics and GE versions to no success. I do not see this anywhere else there are switches, but most are not GE as I've replaced most with Zooz, which work fine.

Any clues?

Thanks so much

You are 100% certain they are Z-Wave Plus and not Z-Wave?

3 Likes

@bobstrenger Can you confirm the model number of these switches?

1 Like

I had the same issue and found the driver that went in when paired was the Generic z-wave (dimmer or switch) and I had to switch it to the Generic Smart Z-wave (dimmer or switch) and now it reports perfectly!!!

2 Likes

if it doesn't work make sure you click configure and save!

2 Likes

The switches say plus in the side, but as noted in my original post, I tried all the possible drivers

It’s currently on Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch which was the last driver I used before I posted

I also just hit configure and saved and still no status change

Thing is, I was involved with the founders of Hubitat and started the Hubitat FB group that is now their official group since shortly afterwards the first year, so I’m definitely familiar with all of this. Again, they used to work fine till the c7 upgrade last year. Then I just kept ignoring the issue. Now I just want to get it solved. I pulled the switch to verify the exact model. GE ZW4001

Might be a firmware update available that helps..?

It seems to be pre Z-wave plus and supposedly, according to the thread below, they were hit or miss on whether they reported on physical. @jasonjoel would know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like Z-Wave+ to me, but the behaviour would make non-plus such an obvious easy answer.

Just for fun, could you post the data from the device page? Or just check that you have 0x5E as shown?

2 Likes

It’s 0x25 actually

only 0x25, or is 0x5E listed anywhere in that list (I'm not positive they're listed in the same order for all devices). 0x5E signifies Zwave Plus.

2 Likes

Here’s the whole string:

• inClusters: 0x25,0x27,0x73,0x70,0x86,0x72,0x77

This would indicate it is an old Z-Wave switch, not Z-Wave+. Can't explain why you saw a Z-Wave+ logo on it (should be on the back, not the side).

Anyway, best solution would be to replace with a newer switch, like the Zooz ones you've been adding. As a temporary fix, search these forums for "Z-Wave poller ". Maybe you had installed that on your old hub and just forgot?

1 Like

If you provide the entire "data" section, I can look it up and find out the exact specs. deviceId, deviceType, and manufacturer. Instead of all this guessing.

2 Likes

Hi, I hadn't installed anything special for the 2 GE switches. They just worked. Over the years with Habitat, and working with my friend Eric from Innovelli, I've definitely had my fair share of customer drivers though. lol

Hi Jtp,

Sorry, no one had asked that. Here's that info, thanks for your help:

• deviceId: 13619
  • deviceType: 21079
  • firmwareVersion: 3.25
  • hardwareVersion: null
  • inClusters: 0x25,0x27,0x73,0x70,0x86,0x72,0x77
  • manufacturer: 99
  • protocolVersion: 3.40
1 Like

It is a GE 45609 / ZW4001: Z-Wave JS Config DB Browser

http://www.smarthome-products.com/productspecs/jasco/45614-Manual-Eng.pdf

Here is another thread talking about them, indicating they are non-plus: Polled z-wave switches showing "failed: true", won't update status - #7 by kharrison

I think you should use the "Generic Z-Wave Switch" and set them up in the Z-Wave Polling app.

2 Likes