Feature request: Device health

Or, someone could simply port @ericm 's ST SmartApp to Hubitat...

1 Like

This is something that has been requested before and @bravenel confirmed in that post that it is something they are/will be working on:

I actually do have it converted and just need to post it. I would prefer a built in capability, but it might be good enough to get us by until that happens. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just did something up in WebCoRE to do this. Luckily the devices I want to monitor (Xiaomi) all have a lastCheckin attribute in their drivers that I was able use to do a time comparison. This way if one of them go offline I send an IFTTT notification to let me know. I'm mainly using this to monitor these devices while I troubleshoot them.

I tried looking for similar attributes on other devices with no luck. But just thought I would throw this idea out there if its something that may help.

throwing one more out ... rooms manager also supports monitoring device "health" for all devices specified in settings for both rooms manager and rooms child. going to release that feature this weekend:

Eric,

[UPDATE] Nevermind. I found it in your Hubitat Github repository. It has already found two of my devices that had issues which I have now corrected.

Just curious if you’ve posted a Hubitat version of your Device Monitor app yet?

Thanks,
Dan

[UPDATE] For others looking for a simple App to monitor your devices to see if they've gone inactive or have low battery levels, @ericm's Device Monitor App is very convenient.

11 Likes

I installed this app and it seems to work fine EXCEPT I am not getting a text alert. I formatted my phone number as +15553331111 like Hubitat likes it. Do I format another way?

Not sure about SMS. I am using it with Pushover and it works great.

@ogiewon how did you get it working with pushover? I can't seem to find how to setup pushover, Hubitat posts seem to say it has native support?

Thanks,

@ericm's Device Monitor App works great with Pushover. In the Device Monitor 'Settings' page, under 'Send a push notification?', simply select your Pushover Device.

To set up Pushover, you can follow my instructions from when I originally wrote the Pushover Driver. No need to use the custom driver now that Hubitat has included it in the firmware.

1 Like

Thanks. I was missing the step of manually adding a new "Virtual Device" :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a recommended time for what is considered "Inactive". I guess it will boil down to how often I want to receive notifications - so just wondering what other users have setup.

Hi @ericm I've installed your app, but seems that it's looking at last event received instead of latest activity, do you think that it's possible to add an option for this? See below some screenshots.

Device monitor reports that "Presa taverna" device is inactive since 99 hours:

But last activity for "Presa taverna" was around 7 hours ago:

For reference, latest event was around 99 hours ago:

Thanks

Since this has been an ongoing issue, I've created another option... :grin::sunglasses::grin:

2 Likes

Seems that it has the same issue:

I believe this is a bug in the last activity method pulling the wrong value. I had reported it to support and hopefully will be fixed in a future update to pull the last activity info instead of the last event info.

1 Like

Probably you are right because also @bptworld one is reporting the same.

Yes, this is a known issue. See the end of this thread:

I've seen a "ACTIVE/INACTIVE" option, but it's not clear what it changes, maybe meanwhile getlastactivity is fixed this option (or a new one) could be used and if active, independently from timing, devices will be reported considering only ACTIVE/INACTIVE status?

A device is marked as inactive if there hasn’t been an event in the last 24hrs. Essentially you get the same info using either method.

Just because it’s marked as inactive though doesn’t mean it’s offline. If I don’t flick on my dining room light for a day it becomes inactive but is still fully function. It’s a bit confusing.