External Antenna

I don't necessarily agree even case I've seen a better antennae helps. I.know for a fact that the antenna is weaker in the hubitat than the smartthings was. I needed more repeaters and devices to repeat in both houses I converted so there definately appears to be room for.improvement.

1 Like

The actual RF transmit power or receive sensitivity does not alter with a ‘better’ aerial. These antenna work by distorting the radiation pattern of the antenna to be stronger in certain directions and weaker in others. In this case better horizontally and worse vertically. It changes the effective radiated power in specific directions by the gain of the antenna.. Think of it as a balloon that you squash from above. It goes further sideways but less height. What you gain in one direction you lose in another.

For many people horizontal gain is desirable and ZWave LR will appreciate it too.

2 Likes

Thought I would provide an update on my adding an external Z-Wave antenna to my HE.

My Z-Wave network consists of 44 devices (Plus virtual devices such as Alarm System). Prior to my installing an external antenna, I had 26 of the 44 devices (59%) connected "direct" to my hub. Immediately after installing the external antenna and running a Z-Wave Repair, I had 34 out of my 44 devices (77%) connected directly to my hub. Now, after the mesh has settled for a few days, I have 40 out of 44 devices (91%) connected directly to my hub.

I used to have a bunch of devices acting as repeaters, now there are only 3 devices still acting as repeaters, for those last 4 devices. I used to have devices with as many as 3 hops. These remaining 4 devices only have 1 hop.

5 Likes

Ok, you’ve convinced me. I’ve now got a weekend project as soon as the supply chain issues are solved.

18 Likes

Should solve the ISS ZWave issues for sure...

2 Likes

This might get deleted but the mod is really easy to do. Here's a good video on soldering U.FL connectors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62WiPscjh4Y

Here are some clips I recorded of the process. I'll add some more when I get some free time.

On the bottom of the hub, there are 4 sticky pad feet. Take those off and there will be a Phillips screw under each. Remove the screws and pop the top off. The antenna wires are soldered directly to the board so you'll need to use a soldering iron to heat up the connections to remove them. I just taped the leads to the lid so I could revert if necessary but not risk shorting out anything.

Next, you'll need some U.FL connectors to solder to the board. Links to everything I used are below but you can get from cheaper sources with a bit of searching. Particularly the antennas. Solder on the connections to each of the U.FL pads where the antennas were connected. The two larger pads are the ground pads and the one to the side where the center wire was soldered goes to the center pin of the connector. Depending on the brand you can identify the center pin by looking at the bottom of the connector.

Drill some holes for the SMA plugs in the lid paying attention to where things line up on the board. A 6.5mm drill bit makes a perfect fit. If you use large antennas keep in mind their weight. Putting both on one side may cause the hub to tilt over which is why I went with one on the back and one on the side. If you use large antennas, be sure to tighten down the connector to the lid so the connector doesn't twist when you put the antennas on. Go ahead and connect the antennas at this point. Carefully align the U.FL plug to the connector and push it in place on the board and screw everything back together and stick the feet pads back on if you haven't completely mauled them taking them off.

Here's a picture of the antenna wires before removing it:

It took me longer to find what parts I wanted to buy than it did to do the mod. I went with a u.fl to rp-sma pigtail and rp-sma antennas so if the connector wears out from swapping antennas or whatever then it's the antenna that wears out and not the pigtail. If you have spare antennas laying around, you could save a little bit on the mod by using regular sma connectors.

The u.fl traces/pads are already there they just opted to not solder on a connector and just wired the antenna straight to the board. Due to the size of the connector, I highly recommend a good set of fine-point tweezers and a dab of flux, even if you're using rosin core solder.

10pcs IPX.UFL Male Connector Antenna Element Base Straight Goldplated New USA Shipping

amazon.com

Amazon.com: 10pcs IPX.UFL Male Connector Antenna Element Base Straight...

Buy 10pcs IPX.UFL Male Connector Antenna Element Base Straight Goldplated New USA Shipping: Connectors & Adapters - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

UFL to SMA Mini PCI U.FL to RP-SMA Female Ipex Connector Pigtail WiFi Antenna Extension Cable (6 inch (2 Pcs))

amazon.com

Amazon.com: UFL to SMA Mini PCI U.FL to RP-SMA Female Ipex Connector Pigtail...

Amazon.com: UFL to SMA Mini PCI U.FL to RP-SMA Female Ipex Connector Pigtail WiFi Antenna Extension Cable (6 inch (2 Pcs)) : Electronics

Any 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz antennas with 3-5db gain will do. Just make sure to get them with an RP-SMA connector if you use an RP-SMA pigtail.

I got mine from L-Com

L-Com 900 MHz Antennas
Picture of 900 MHz 5 dBi Rubber Duck Antenna RP-SMA Plug Connector HG905RD-1-RSP 900 MHz 5 dBi Rubber Duck Antenna RP-SMA Plug Connector

L-Com 2.4 GHz Antennas
Picture of 2.4 GHz 5 dBi Rubber Duck Antenna - RP-SMA Plug Connector HG2405RD-RSP 2.4 GHz 5 dBi Rubber Duck Antenna - RP-SMA Plug Connector

40 Likes

So there are already solder pads for the connectors. Very nice and makes adding an external antenna a piece of cake.

3 Likes

Yup

2 Likes

Also I see you've used a 5db antenna for zigbee. Have you seen significant improvement in the mesh/range?

Yes, he's a full wave kind of guy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I'm in a single story 3200 ish sq/ft house with 14 to 20 ft ceilings and everything connects directly except 4 switches hiding behind my fireplace. The hub is in the kitchen in the middle of the house.

3 Likes

Move the fireplace.

9 Likes

LOL!

Too big a job for me. Other than the switches it's out of the way of everything else.

I decked my attic just so I could get to the other side to install a camera on the back patio so it's not like the thought hadn't crossed my mind...

3 Likes

I like the flag.

7 Likes

How would one identify an antenna as "RP" ? with a multimeter continuity test?
Before I invest 60 bucks in antennas, I have a few I can try

I think you can tell by looking...

3 Likes

RP-SMA antennas’ connectors have a hole in the center. SMAs have a pin.

Both look the same and have the same thread, but the inverted pin and hole makes mixing them incompatible.

4 Likes

Thanks, I was thinking polarity in terms of + / - , but it's more of a physical distinction.
Got it, off to void my warranty

8 Likes

Appreciate everyone publishing this. I’m going to be giving this a try too. I’d rather have reliable zwave than a warranty!

7 Likes