Smarthome: Nothing but intermittent troubles for years!

Well based on the number of repairs I've done for people that tried and failed. I'd say I've probably done the majority of them but there are some skilled solderer's out there. I honestly didn't even know there were that many people on the forums here to ask me for it. When I originally offered my help, I was expecting maybe 10 or 20.

5 Likes

Despicable Me Reaction GIF

5 Likes

I backed up my old c5 hub and imported it to a new c7. Its been a while now but either having the c5 hub and c7 hub in operation and the diference of external/internal antennas I remember reading somewhere that it may somehow afffect the hub connecting to the cloud (app, firmware, find my hub etc) which happenned. Again its been a while now but I read that the easyest fix is to reset and build the C7 hub up from scratch.

The firmware thing is strange, I just tell it to update and it just sits there checking endlesly. I also didnt get any popups/notifications for new firmware in the top right. I only went to update it to get the new broadlink drivers.

The find my hub feature on the hubitat portal doesnt list either of the hubs but I can still access them via the IP address.

Since my C7 is not functioning properly and I am also looking to shift to Kasa switches and some other wall powered sensors and button controlers (motion + temp, please recommend any) I will reset the C7 and start my automations again with just the c7. Currently the C5 is only running for some zigbee devices that I havent managed to reset/re pair to the C7 yet.

To me, that is an indication you have networking issues. Are you running a static IP on the hub, or an IP reservation on your router?

I wouldn't think this to be necessary for what you are experiencing, at the very least maybe support should look at your hub if they haven't already.

I didn't even know this was a thing. I guess I've been away for a while-things were running smoothly. Is there enough feedback that it's been successful?

@velvetfoot Yes, I'm sure some people will chime in eventually.

1 Like

It is a win. Very solid.

Fcking A, @lewis.heidrick, >1000!? Hats off...

5 Likes

I'm probably going to get audited by the IRS for all the PayPal payments and have to prove I'm not making money on all this.

5 Likes

I've been happy... Probably about 90% of my stuff is now direct to the hub...

2 Likes

Only thing is, I'd have to buy another hub. Flipping switches isn't appealing.

1 Like

I bought another hub and sent it to @lewis.heidrick. Then when I got it back I moved everything to it (pretty painless to be honest). Old Hub temporarily relegated to dev hub until detached garage fixed and then that will go in there to control some stuff via hub mesh and my old c5 will be my test hub

1 Like

Perhaps after C8 has been around a little while. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully, they'll stick externals on the C8.

7 Likes

Question, Have you ever tested the Z-Wave external with a smaller (aka shorter) antenna?

I'm considering modifying mine but to get the best pattern the antennae should be vertical and I have limited space above the hub.

Thanks
John

Yes, the smaller antennas work just as well, they just have a different radiation pattern. More circular than pancake. The lower the db rating the more round. The higher the more squished horizontally.

Thanks, I wasn't aware the height made a difference in radiation pattern. But now that I think of it the smaller the antenna the more like a point source the results would be.

The larger antennas benefit from capturing the full wave vs half wave, quarter wave, 8th wave and thus higher gain ratings. Take all this with a grain of salt as there are a lot of variables with antenna construction.

2 Likes

I think phase of the moon is one of them :slight_smile: If only we could "see" em waves.

5 Likes

Keep in mind this is super simplified and it's possible to have a high gain antenna that is equal in gain but smaller in size. Coil antennas for example.

2 Likes