Replacement/Adjustable Antennas for C-8

I’m looking to buy some spare antennas for the C-8 but that the antennas stand straight up or the ability to adjust to point up. I’m going to mount my C-8 vertically and need to stand the antennas the right orientation to signal.

You can already do that with the included antennas. Just turn one up and one down.

2 Likes

Sounds like he wants them both pointing straight up. I know that is my plan for the way I intend to put mine in the stand. One up, one down won't work for my current stand that I intend to use.

These were mentioned in a thread on the same subject in the facebook group:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082SHKT3Q
The appear to be the correct frequencies and adjustable to point up or rotate.

1 Like

These look perfect. Will those connect? And are they compatible?

Based on the FB group post, yes. I have not confirmed as I do not have them yet. That is why I used the words "appear" to CYA.... LOL
I am unsure because they are 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz, whereas the specs for the C8 were lower I believe (listed here: C8 antenna swap - #8 by aaiyar

There are also the ones that were mentioned here (at the bottom of this post: External Antenna - #28 by lewis.heidrick). For these two, you will want to make sure you put the correct antenna on the correct connector as they are not dual band. The 900 Mhz goes on the Zwave side.

1 Like

Someone shared this product too:

9dBi RP-SMA Male 3G 4G LTE Cellular Trail Camera Long Range Antenna Compatible with SPYPOINT Link Micro Link Dark Link S Link EVO Tactacam Stealth Cam Camera Cellular Trail Camera (Pack of 2) https://a.co/d/0ubbnkd

Here’s the specs of the antenna

You want 2.4Ghz for Zigbee and 900Mhz for Z-Wave.
So far people who have replaced the antenna reported no noticeable performance gain.

1 Like

I'm not looking for performance gain. I am looking to mount mine with both antennas pointing straight up. Not on a wall mount where I can have one up and one down. My C7 is on a stand that allows it to sit on its side. If I tried one aiming down, I have to come up with another mount.

Yeah, understandable, I thought about going that route also to reduce shelf space and also better cooling. Just need some low profile dual band (900mhz and 2.4ghz) antennas similar to what is included but with the adjustable knuckle. Have not seen anything good posted yet.

I left the standard antenna on my C-8 for 3 days before switching the Z-Wave one.

• With the C-7. 31 of 45 devices direct. All device RSSI's were above 16 dB (the minimum whereby hub mesh details app highlights them orange), with the highest around 42-45 dB

• With the C-8 (std antenna). 39 of 45 devices direct. 8 devices had RSSI below 16 dB (several below 10) with the highest around 32 dB

• With the C-8 (5dBi 868Mhz Parador antenna). Changed to this 36 hours ago. 38 of 45 devices direct (currently). 3 devices below 16 dB (just 1 below 10) with the highest currently 41 dB

I originally purchased the antenna when I was going to do the mod to my C-7 but bailed out when I realised I couldn't solder that well. I have had to fit a RP-SMA to SMA adaptor between the hub and antenna.

I'll see how it goes for a few weeks. It's strange that with the improved C-8 external antenna I got more direct links but lower RSSI. I guess the more direct links you have the RSSI may drop on those devices?

1 Like

Does it matter if both antennas point straight DOWN instead? I have mine mounted to the underside of a shelf...

Down is fine also, as long as they both are verticle (perpendicular to the ground) and not horizontal.

2 Likes