Everything Xbee

I just purchased an xbee model s2cth XB24CZ7WIT-004 radio with the sparkfun usb adaptor board.
Will the settings for the Xbee3 work for my Xb2sc board?
If not, what would be different?
Are the procedures the same for pairing with my C7?
All I want to do is create a map of my zigbee network using XCTU.

Thanks!

Will the settings for the Xbee3 work for my Xb2sc board?
If not, what would be different?

• I don't own that model but the settings should be the same

Are the procedures the same for pairing with my C7?

• Yes

Should map your network fine

Thank you for the info! I will give it a try.

I have an xBee3 that I use at my desk to map the mesh.

I also have 4 xBee S2C for routing and they work very well.

And I have 5 environmental sensors from @iharyadi that I use for sensor based automatons and repeating. These work incredibly well.

So my question is.. my S2C xBees route without micropython but I have it enabled(PS=1) on the xBee3. Does it need to be? Will the xBee3 work without it and simply be a mapping and repeating device?

I'm asking because the xBee3 is the least effective xBee I have and seems to be the most problematic.

Thanks

1 Like

No you do not need it enabled you just will not have presence function on the device.
It will simply route and map if set as a router (not end device).

What sort of problems?
I don't think setting PS to disabled will help anything.
As it is at your desk more than likely issues due to WIFI interference.
Changing ZigBee channel to 20 as well as changing your router WIFI channel.

The problem is that I can’t get the xBee3 to pair anymore.

The xBee3 was the first xBee I tried and I just used it to map my mesh when I was first setting up Hubitat. I did not use it as a repeater.. I just kept it at my desk to run maps now and then.. then turned it off. Lately I have reset my hub a few times and now I can’t get the xBee3 to pair again.

I have 4 S2C’s running now and those were very quick and easy to setup. I would like to get the xBee3 paired again and just leave it running as repeater and mapper on my desktop.

I don’t have any wifi in my office. I’m old school linux guy and we use wires. My hub is on channel 20 and about 30 feet down the hall on a landing next to my main router. My house wifi is a Netgear orbi with 3 satellites and it auto channels… but seems to stay on channel 8. I don’t have neighbors… just woods.

Neighbor Table Entry
[Garage Door Motor , 0B5C], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Humidifier , 0C7D], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Coffee Pot , 10F0], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:3
[Xbee Landing, 1EA1], LQI:255, age:5, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Env LR, 417A], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:0
[Garage Light , 49CC], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Vaporizer , 686D], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Fireplace , 71CF], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Env BR, 9766], LQI:254, age:0, inCost:1, outCost:0
[null, 9E64], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Env MR, B856], LQI:255, age:0, inCost:1, outCost:0
[xBee TR, C430], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Centralite One, CBA9], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:3
[XBee Office, CCE0], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Hall Fan , CD9D], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Treadmill , FF01], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1

See that null 9E64? That is the xBee3. I don’t get it. It goes away when I turn it off. So I’m looking for the most basic settings to get it paired.

It would be cool if you're sitting there thinking.. I know what that is :slight_smile:

have you tried

• first what is CE set to ? Should be set to "join network 0" see if that fixes it.
    if not
  • then try updating the firmware again on the Xbee3
  • then applying and writing the default settings
  • then apply the Xbee3 router settings and write those
  • If that does not work try pairing the Xbee3 in a different location (maybe something near by that is causing inference like another device).
  • have you tried a different usb adapter on the Xbee3?

Short of that the Xbee3 could be simply faulty.

1 Like

Also ensure

KY = 5a6967426565416c6c69616e63653039

JV = 1

ID = your Hubs pan id

NI = a unique name different from the other xbees

2 Likes

Well it’s been interesting… I checked off every one of your suggestions and while it still did not immediately pair, I did notice that it’s behavior changed.

Each time I would start discovery then turn on the xBee3.. the led on the xBee3 comes on solid for a bit then flickers a bit and stops. Then at the end of discovery, just before Hubitat ends the pairing sequence, the led's come on again for a bit. And it still did not pair.

Then I noticed this when I just left the xBee3 powered and ran a map from a different xBee.. this one C430 is a working S2C, I see this on the map.

Screenshot from 2021-02-24 08-56-59

Mind you this xBee3 9E64 is not discovered and not in the device list but there it is on the map and trying to route.

Finally, I updated firmware, returned it to defaults, reinstalled the “profile_100A Router.xpro” and the “main.py” then tried it again… and still nothing.

Then I thought about what you said about another device causing interference. I shut down the hub for an hour, unplugged every repeater device in the house on 3 floors. Xbee S2C’s, Environment sensors, Centralite outlets, and Peanut outlets that I had banished to the far end of the house.

Then I powered up the hub and tried to pair the xBee3 and it popped up instantly… That was nice to see :slight_smile:

So then I shutdown the hub again, and plugged everything back in and I figured… just give it some time for everything to rest. An hour later, with everything now plugged in, I powered up the hub. And it’s doing this.. after an hour.

Child Data

child:[Landing Motion , 8954, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
No information for Child 1
No information for Child 2

Neighbor Table Entry
[Env DR, 01C3], LQI:255, age:1, inCost:1, outCost:0
[null, 10BB], LQI:254, age:2, inCost:1, outCost:0
[Xbee Landing, 186B], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Xbee3 Router, 1DFB], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[null, 21DA], LQI:253, age:5, inCost:3, outCost:3
[null, 2DD8], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:3
[null, 2E68], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:3
[XBee Office, 4B69], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Vaporizer , 825B], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:3
[Env LR, 829B], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[null, 950E], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Treadmill , AD99], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Env HW , BD8B], LQI:255, age:1, inCost:1, outCost:1
[null, BFE5], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Env MR, C31F], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Bedroom Fan , D15D], LQI:250, age:3, inCost:3, outCost:3

Route Table Entry
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [Bedroom Fan , D15D] via [Treadmill , AD99]
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [null, 2DD8] via [Xbee Landing, 186B]
status:Active, age:32, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Shower Light , 66D1] via [XBee Office, 4B69]
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [null, 21DA] via [null, 2DD8]
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [null, 2E68] via [Xbee Landing, 186B]
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [null, BFE5] via [Xbee3 Router, 1DFB]
status:Active, age:32, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:High Ram, [Xbee3 Router, 1DFB] via [Xbee3 Router, 1DFB]
status:Active, age:32, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Centralite One, A16A] via [Bedroom Fan , D15D]
status:Active, age:32, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Kitchen One , 54E9] via [Xbee3 Router, 1DFB]
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [null, 7618] via [null, 950E]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [null, 950E] via [null, 950E]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [null, 10BB] via [XBee Office, 4B69]
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [XBee Office, 4B69] via [XBee Office, 4B69]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Entry Two, 32D6] via [null, AED3]

I am hoping the nulls will go away on their own... because I'm tired of running up and down stairs.

Thank you. I was lost in the weeds.. thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

NP
glad you got it working

So a device is definitely giving you interference.
I would start by unplugging one device at a time (leave each one uplugged) and see if the nulls stop.
Starting with the Centralite outlets, and Peanut outlets.
I have had a faulty Peanut in the past.
It is likely just one faulty device which you will want to figure out and remove as it will cause you problems.

How would I get the map to work with a Xbee S2C?

First confirm the model number you have is zigbee
Then follow the first post.
Use XTCU sw to map your zigbee network.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this.

I've just managed to get a SparkFun Thing Plus - XBee3 Micro working:

I had to use the manual settings as I'm very new to this and X-CTU would not accept the pre-configured profiles. But I got it working and got it to pair with HE and it's happily reporting temperature and voltage. Now to find out how to attach the sensors I want to make it actually useful.

OK I need help. I have an XB24C that use to work but I lost the config and now cannot even get it to map my network. Does anyone have a current config file?

When you hook up the xbee to the computer and do a scan with XTCU.
Does it show a network or nothing?

The settings should be pretty much the same as the first post.
Reset and write all the settings to default then try the settings posted in the first post.

You may have to delete a ghost device

Below is what I show when it scans. What is interesting is that it is scanning ch 17 but my Hubitat is on channel 19. There was only one setting that I did not have and that was PS. I did make all the other settings set to the first post. These did work in ST

OK All good. Read through a few more post and everything is working

I was hoping to be able to see my Aqara devices but do not see them in the mesh. That was really the whole point of doing this

Some devices, like Xiaomi and Aquara dont always show up in the mesh. Mine dont either.

So I assume that your Aquara devices are connected directly to your hub? That is my problem they would connect and then fall off. I was hoping to use these as repeaters so I would not have that problem and it appears that may not be possible