Drivers by bcopeland Bio

Both. It's a Trane communicating system. It technically doesn't have to be, but then it'll function as just a standard 2 stage system.

1 Like

Interesting.. it's wifi and z-wave.. :thinking:

Yeah, I have it connected to my wifi currently and I can use the Nexia app to control it. I can create automations in the Nexia app and use IFTTT to trigger them. So I can control it through HE if I wanted (have not currently set it up to do so though), but it would be nice to have the communication be local and not have to rely on 2 separate cloud servers.

We've had issues with the thermostat ever since we got it, and if you look around on the Internet, there's lot of people with the same problem. If I had known getting a variable speed system would lock me into a certain thermostat, I would have looked around for the most efficient 2-stage system instead and used something like an Ecobee.

The issue is that it consistently shows the indoor temp as warmer than it actually is, so the AC doesn't shut off until it gets well below what the temperature is set to. There's several threads about it on forums if you google something like "trane xl 850 runs hot". One prevailing theory is that the wifi chip generates enough heat that it messes with the thermostat. Some people have said that when they disable wifi, it works correctly. But that defeats one of the purposes of having a smart thermostat.

I plan on building up my zwave network with some devices that can also report temperature, and then I can just use those to trigger turning the AC on or off.

EDIT: The automations I can currently create are a little limited. For example, I can't create one to "lower the temp by 2 degrees" and trigger it when the oven turns on. I have to create a "profile" and give it a set temperature value and then I can trigger that profile to run. So if the temp is currently 74 and the automation is set to 74, nothing changes. Even if I set it up in HE using IFTTT, that won't change. This is the main reason I'd like zwave control. I think it would be possible to have more control.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me to that! There is a long Sengled Dimmer thread on here somewhere (not the one you linked to) where it appeared there was no hope. Loaded up the driver you linked to and bam, a useful device!

2 Likes

Added to my coming soon list:

Homeseer: HSM200

1 Like

You might check out Ecobee's website - they can tell if their thermostat is compatible with your system. I believe they can handle some variable speed systems.

1 Like

I do have a request @bcopeland.

Would love to see a single-device driver (no child devices) the Zen31 RBG controller, that supports all the normal features of dimmers. I know the device can do everything, but the functionality if split among child/parent devices.

If you did want to try this, I would be happy to send you a couple of them.

2 Likes

checking into it..

Only self-modulating variable speed furnaces. Not variable speed compressors ....

1 Like

Is there a tutorial/language-spec somewhere on making groovy drivers for Hubitat? I'm sure I can actually code it but the times I've looked at existing drivers, it was not obvious to me whats going on with them. (and then finding time to really pick it apart on my own is hard)

1 Like

The best starting point is the old smartthings docs.. https://docs.smartthings.com

then after you have the fundamentals move on to
https://docs.hubitat.com

2 Likes

Thanks!
...one night when the wife goes to bed early.....

1 Like

Better plan on more than one night... There is a LOT of information out there.

2 Likes

I see the Zooz Zen21 in the coming soon section. I have a couple of these. I'm curious what your driver will do that the default one in HE will not...

1 Like

From what I understand there are new features in the newer firmware versions that are not in the built-in drivers.. And if it uses directAssociations then it will support that as well

1 Like

Ok.. I have one of these on the way

1 Like

Neat.. I found a way to get my github contributions graph to show in a post..

I added it to the first post..

4 Likes

Brother man, when this covid is done with, I'm ready for a drive. Gonna stop by Lafayette and get you a couple beers in person.

4 Likes

I miss bars

3 Likes

Thanks @bptworld any requests?

1 Like