Dashboard with CCTV

cctv

I always forget about iSpy.

@corerootedxb - Well thats some next-level stuff right there. Since I'm 48 hours into having my HE, I guess those modes are gonna have to wait until next week.

My real challenge is migrating the rest of my z-wave stuff over to HE without the wife noticing anything is different in her apps on her phone. We had all the z-wave lights and doors and garage running through our alarm panel. She's comfortable with the Alarm.com app, and its great for basic home control and security. But its very limited in what 3rd party hardware you can use and what types of more advanced automation you can do.

So I picked up the HE, since its a fully supported hardware platform and also has the community behind it. I'm thinking about picking up a Pi today (hell, it is Pi day) and messing with Home Assistant as well. But the z-wave devices can only be on one network at a time, and I'm already trying to balance two. Not sure a 3rd makes a whole lot of sense until I run into any real limitations of HE (although my SkyBell is supported by HA and not HE, so that didn't take long).

I did the same thing when I was on SmartThings. There's an app for that :wink: [RELEASE] BI Control - Local Blue Iris control

As for your Z-Wave conversation and an app that keeps the WAF high, there's a few options. HA is good, but overly complicated and AFAIK, no one has really bridged HA/HE as of yet. Plus, there's no native HA app that I have seen. There once was one, but I think development on it stopped last year. You can marry the two by using a MQTT bridge and therefore keep all your Z-Wave devices on one controller, but it's not trivial to setup. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done, just that it's a bit of a pain. So, I wouldn't recommend HA over HE. In tandem? Maybe. But prepare for complexity.

What I've done in my setup to keep the WAF high is use the Google Home app (with no Google Homes hooked up in my house lol) as a dashboard that my wife can use. It interfaces with HE quite well and all the "control" type devices are there. She can turn on/off lights, control brightness, etc. I also make a LOT of use of Alexa (we have one in every room) and I make sure that Alexa is updated with devices in HE and groups are created and maintained there. Honestly, I can't tell you the last time I actually saw my wife use the GH app or even a light switch here in the house. Granted, I also make heavy use of motion and contact sensors as well. Case in point, when my wife gets up in the morning for work, the lights in the bathroom come on to 100% automatically due to motion. I put a "makeup light" under the medicine cabinet that she tells Alexa to turn on for her and all of it automatically turns off after 10 minutes. When she returns home from work, the house automatically unlocks the back door (from our carport) and turns on the kitchen lights if it's dark out and starts playing music. My personal goal is to eventually not need any switches or apps to control the house. I'd say I'm about 75% there.

If you poke around the forums, you'll find TONS of examples where we are trying to keep the WAF high while still having fun with home automation. :smiley:

Perfect. We're a Google Home home, so that will be a natural adoption. Google will just be able to do "more stuff" than before.

Motion detection my next investment. I like the bathroom lights example, and especially having them only go on very dim in the middle of the night.

Feel free to ask if you need ideas for motion/contact automations. Also, if you haven't played with Google Home Routines, get up to speed on that. That's how I achieve a lot of my stuff through Alexa.

Plus, with things like Brightness/delay per mode in Motion Lighting, you can achieve all sorts of cool stuff.

I have three cameras set up as 'image' panes on my Dashboard. This only allows viewing the image. No motion detection, etc. I am currently using 1 second refresh and see no slowdown so far.

Foscam FI9828P:
http:///cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?cmd=snapPicture2&usr=&pwd=
Reolink RLC-410:
http:///cgi-bin/api.cgi?cmd=Snap&channel=0&rs=wuuPhkmUCeI9WG7C&user=&password=
DLink DCS-936L:
http://:@/video/mjpg.cgi?user=&password=&channel=0

Not saying it's correct, just saying it works on my system. :wink:
Hope this helps someone,
Jim

And...
I really REALLY love the way that clicking on an image gives you that image full screen and clicking on it again takes you back to the Dashboard!
Wow, someone really thought this through. Way cool!
Thanks, Hubitat.