Migrating from ST but w/SimpliSafe + Google Assistant + Amcrest Cams Setup

Hello all,

I’ve put off making this post for almost a year because my needs and setup have been evolving, (the ST setup was in an old house and now I'm in a new one) but I feel like I’m at a place where I’m ready to install things and I’m certainly going to need help.

I’m going to be specific about what gear I have so that I’m not wasting anyone’s time.
I’m a 20 year vet in IT Management, so I don’t mind diving off into the technical details, but I also don’t wanna reinvent the wheel or go down a path of “I’m gonna MAKE this work” simply to “prove that I can”. So if you read through this and think “dude, you’re gonna waste so much time with this setup”, please save me the headache and just tell me straight away and how I should best proceed instead lol

All of my “SmartThings” items have been owned for a few years and I’ve just purchased the “SimpleSafe system” + the “Google” items. I’m not against “throwing away” one system or another, but it’d be nice to be able to connect the two (SimpliSafe & SmartThings) + be able to use voice automation via Google Assistant etc.

I’ll try to summarize my “ideal outcome” at the bottom of this post.
I’ve outlined the items, model numbers, and quantities below:

• 3200 sq ft, 5BR, 3BA house (1 BR/My Office is upstairs) [got alot of kids lol]

• I’ll spare you the details, but I have an enterprise level network setup in the house w/ CAT6
everywhere and full WiFi coverage - (Don’t mind sharing those details if asked/necessary)

"SmartThings-Specific" Items (came as part of a Samsung ST Home Monitoring Kit)
Pretty sure these things are Zigbee
• SmartThings Hub (v2)
• SmartSense Motion Sensor (1x)
• Multipurpose Sensor (6x)

SimpliSafe Items - Just purchased
• Video Doorbell (1x)
• Base Station (1x)
• Wireless Keypad (1x)
• Entry Sensors (10x)
• Motion Sensor (4x)
• Auxiliary Siren (1x)
• Smoke Detectors (4x)

"Google" Items - Just purchased
• Nest Minis (5x) - [ GA00638-US ]
• Home/Nest Hubs - 7" (4x) - [ GA00516-US ]

Miscellaneous Items
• Chamberlain Smart Garage Hub (1x) - [ MYQ-G0301-E ]
• ecobee Smart Thermostat w/Voice Control (2x) - [ EB-STATE5-01 ]
• Multiple Wi-Fi Connected In-Wall & Plugin switches (Multiple brands etc)

• (Can be more specific with model/brand etc if necessary)
    • Monoprice Z-Wave Plus Door/Window Sensor (5x) - [ PID 15270 ]
    • First Alert Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm - WiFi (1x) - [ ZCOMBO ]
    • Amcrest 1080p PTZ IP Camera (6x) - [ IP2M841B ]
    • Blink Cameras (6x) - [ BCM00100U ]
    • GoControl Home Security Suite (Z-Wave 908.42 MHz)
  1. Siren + Strobe (1x) - [ WA105DBZ-1 ]
  2. Motion Sensor (1x) - [ WAPIRZ-1 ]
  3. Door/Window Sensor (3x) - [ WADWAZ-1 ]

So, as you can tell, it’s quite a collection of stuff lol
I’ve outlined my ideal outcome below. Feel free to suggest that I simply discard portion of this, ask any questions, tell me to stick with one :slight_smile:

IDEAL OUTCOME

Be able to install wall-mounted tablets of some sort in the Master Bedroom and at each of the exterior facing doors that can interact with both the Security System and the Automated portions of this system. I’d like to be able to use those tablets to be able to check the status of the Alarm System, interact with Home Automation items (ie switches, lights, etc) manually, and maybe even interact with the Google Nest 7" Hubs via video (think tablet to Google Nest Hub video conferencing) that will be installed in each of the kids’ rooms.

I don’t mind buying additional gear or replacing what’s already here, but if possible, I’d like to be able to utilize all of the motion, door/window, and other sensors I’ve already purchased. I realize they’re multiple brands & multiple technologies and as I stated above, I’m not against choosing 1 to run with, if necessary.

I’d also like to be able to install the Blink Cameras outside and the Amcrest Cams inside the home and be able to both see them + interact with them via the “tablets” and other means. I don’t want to lose the ability to remotely manage and interact with them, but I also want the wife and kids to be able to see those cams from some sort of display in at least 1 area of the house. Would be really great to be able to view LIVE video on some tiles via a dashboard displaying on a tablet OR a monitor somewhere in the home (kinda like a CCTV system, but the device I'm displaying the video on also serving as a touchscreen dashboard to interact with security/automation)

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things, but I’d genuinely like to hear all of your advice, suggestions, and ideas. I don’t want to pigeon-hole myself into a dated setup. Hoping all of you can help me spend my time and my money wisely.

Thanks in advance!!!

I have a Simplisafe Alarm system with Amcrest and Amazon. I use it in a pretty simple manner. The ST driver seems to work on HE just fine with the exception of one read timed out error:

It doesn't seem to break anything so I've just lost caring about it.

I drive it with the HSM:

I also use Alexa to turn the alarm off in the morning. I have setup a virtual switch to turn the HSM off when I "cancel" the morning alarm.

That's all I do with SimpliSafe. There are a few threads about using Amcrest and motion detection. I'll start wandering into those waters next week.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but my version of the simplisafe driver was throwing gateway errors in the early AM. I just got home from work, and I notice that its again working fine, but the event notifications have changed slightly. They now reference "remote management" in the message body as in "Your SimpliSafe System was armed (away) at [My Location] on 1-9-20 at 7:43 am System Armed (Away) by Remote Management" and this evening [.messageBody] "Your SimpliSafe security system was disarmed by Remote at [My Location] on 1-9-20 at 6:37 pm [.info] System Disarmed by Remote"