Dashboard Custom Device Template

Yup, I just ran up against an issue that can't be uncommon. I use a multisensor to report on the position of a lock bar on a sliding door. The way the sensor is oriented it shows the opposite sense from what I want. That is, it shows an alert state "Open" when the bar is locked. There's an android app for hubitat dashboard that easily allows me to modify this but that doesn't work within HE's native dashboard. This seems pretty simple - switching on/off states and alerts.

Thinking a bit more about my own response and particularly your situation with the multi-sensor, if you want to apply logic to flip the way that the sensor reports, I think it would be better to do this through a virtual device or Hub variable and a rule. The reason I suggest this over a feature in a dashboard is that if you want to refer to the reading you want to see appear on the dashboard, you won't be able to, any rules would still need to refer to the opposite reading. If you store the "corrected" reading in a device or variable, then your rules will read more "correctly", if you get my drift....

I do!
I guess the only issue is that I hate having to have so many virtual devices and rules for a simple device. It just starts to feel messy and hard to maintain (kludgy - do people still use that term?).
I think I'd settle for being able to change the color of the two states on the dashboard tile. Right now, it shows red when it's in the locked position. In this particular use case, open/close has no real meaning - but red/green has an immediate value. As far as I can see, dashboard doesn't allow customizing this - or did I miss that?

Yes please, if you write a custom device driver, it would be nice to be able to create a template for it.

Please add this feature. I want to better customize how my data is displayed.

You might be interested in:

1 Like

And eventually....

1 Like