Connecting Tuya/Arlec devices using BrilliantSmart to Hubitat with IFTTT

Hi,

I've hit a bit of a brick wall, been googling for hours and I'm struggling to figure this out.

I'm in NZ/Australia where we have a brand called Arlec which is basically Tuya. I read that BrilliantSmart (Tuya stuff again) have enabled IFTTT while Arlec haven't. I have moved all my Arlec devices from the Arlec app on my phone to the BrilliantSmart app on my phone to make use of IFTTT and connect them to Hubitat.

Where do I go next?

• Can I setup IFTTT/Hubitat so that the Tuya devices show as devices in Hubitat and the device in Hubitat just runs the IFTTT rule which is on/off / give me info?
  • If so, IFTTT settings should I start with and what kind of device/settings should I use in Hubitat? I.e. virtual switch?
  • The kind of Tuya devices want to connect are motion sensor, temp/humidity, door open/close, smart plug.

Thanks in advance, I'm just really battling on this one and google and struggling to find the right methodology using google/support.

With IFTTT and other cloud devices, there's no status. So IF something happens (trigger) on Hubitat (like a virtual switch closing), THEN do this other thing on this other service.

Hubitat can be the place the thing happens (Action), so an outside service can trigger a device on Hubitat.

Are these Tuya Zigbee devices or WiFi? I think what some people do is flash the WiFi devices with Tasmota firmware. But you'll be better off looking for Zigbee devices. Don't know how big your place is, but there are inexpensive Zigbee deices from Sonoff that are compatible, but the range isn't great. Haven't heard if anyone has found good repeaters for use with them. Konke is another one that there are some community drivers for. The Xiaomi Mijia and Aqara devices are also not listed as compatible, but they work. However, they're temperamental. You have to be very carefully in the design of your Zigbee network, so as not to include any incompatible repeaters and no Zigbee bulbs on the hub directly. The IKEA Trådfri outlets work OK for me with Xioami devices, but your mileage may vary. I know that the IKEA Trådfri outlets were not available in NZ/Australia previously. Don't know where that's at now.

They are bluetooth devices that are connected to a WiFi hub which then connects to BrilliantSmart.

I would look for other devices. IFTTT is a struggling service. The big guys like Google are beginning to drop them. Won’t be long before they fold is my guess.

HE is a local hub. Stick with devices that connect directly to it via Zigbee and Z-Wave.

1 Like

Some of the devices I suggested to try:

Konke Temp/Humidity sensor

Konke motion sensor and Konke Motion Sensor community driver

I have a Konke motion sensor. The range of motion is narrow, but the Zigbee range is good. I’m using this driver with mine and it works fine.

Sonoff SNZB-02 (built-in driver)

Sonoff SNZB-03 Motion Sensor (built-in driver)

I have a Sonoff SNZB-03 Motion Sensor. The sensor range of motion and sensitivity is good, but the Zigbee range is short. But, you were considering Bluetooth devices, so long range does not sound like a concern for your needs.

Sonoff SNZB-04 Contact Sensor (built-in driver)

Hey thanks so much for your help - great information and given me a lot to think about. Those links ship to NZ as well and a hell of a lot cheaper than Hue.

Once again, thanks!

2 Likes