Sonoff SNZB-03 Motion Sensor Will Not Pair

How do I complety reset the C7 hub? Do I have to get support involved to reregister it?
I am guessing I can save my rules and devices and add them back in one by one?

I appreciate you are having issues but what do you think a complete reset of the hub will do?
What zigbee channel are you using?
I'm not having any issues pairing on keeping these devices online. My zigbee channel is 20.
I'm not sure if it is the same for Sonoff devices, but for Xiaomi/Aqara their proprietary hubs use 15, 20, 25. (Not 100% sure on this but just something I think I may have read).
Also what channel is your router using for wifi?.
If the channels overlap this can cause issues.

Just some thinking out loud.

2 Likes

Zigbee 20. Wifi 6 so should be no overlap?
Though with the first one I tried disabling the 2.4g on the router.
I have some wifi lights could they interfere?
Why resetting the hub? To see if a device/s or a setting is messed up somewhere and causing this.
Others use these devices so there must be something local to me.

Sounds like you have things covered.

In that case I would try a soft reset first.
Do a backup of your database, perform a soft reset and then re-install your backup.
I would try this before the more drastic step of a full reset.

Just tried again with all wifi lights off and 2.4g off. Still no good.
So the soft reset.
Try and add the new sensor straight afterwards before the database restore?
If it gets added the database restore will remove it again?

It would be worth a try.

Yes it will but hopefully things will work.

You have probably tried this but have you done a shutdown of the hub, followed by a power down for 30 + seconds then a power up.
This will reboot the zigbee radio.

1 Like

Thanks. I will give it a try in daylight tomorrow.
Yes, already tried the shutdown and wall socket switch off method.

1 Like

Watching this with curiosity. I ordered one of these to try, since many are reporting success and good results. Past experience tells me that removing the battery on Zigbee devices often helps, but it needs to be for about 15 seconds. Removing and just popping it immediately back in doesn't do it.

@bobbles mentioned multiple pushes (every few seconds) during paring. May help, but Xiaomi is the only device I've ever encountered where that is beneficial. Some devices take a very long time to pair, so you need to get them into pairing mode almost immediately after you set the controller to pairing mode.

Channel is a big one with some devices, and just because one person does well on a certain channel, doesn't mean your environment with the radios you have in your home and your neighbours have in theirs is going to make the same channel appropriate in your home. I don't have this sensor yet, but my experience with Xiaomi tells me that no matter what my WiFi router is on, they like channel 13 in my environment. Others have said that channel 13 doesn't work well for them at all, but I've run it for over two years. Recently I moved from a C-4 to a C-7 with a fresh database and just imported my old rules (Excellent decision by the way. So much faster). The hub started out at channel 15, so I thought I would try it for a while. Everything paired and seemed to work fine, except for the Xiaomi Mijia motion sensor at my front door. That one would pair, but then fall-off a day or two later. Changed my channel back to 13, then re-paired the Xiaomi humidity sensor in the bathroom that likes to jump ship at the first sign of trouble, and so far it's all stable.

2 Likes

Well finally a result.
I took the new device into the outside shed and tried to add it there using my phone.
It discovered it immediately.
And seems to be working :slight_smile:
The driver it is using is: Zigbee - Sonoff Motion Sensor
I downloaded this as I read on a post that it worked and this is the one it automatically used.

Apart from trying this in the shed, I used a different process, though not sure if this is the reason.
I had the discover devices all ready to click discover.
Then I held in the pin to the sensor and on the 3rd flash I dropped the pin and simultaneously tapped the discover button.

Going to test with the original one now.

Edit:
Original (first) one did not work indoors using either method (traditional or simultaneous).
Had 2 goes in the shed using traditional method (click discover first, then hold in pin on device for 5-seconds and release after 3rd flash) and this never worked.
Then did the simultaneous method and it found first go.

So I am happy :slight_smile:

Only thing is I assumed these had a temperature sensor, don't know why.
These do not. A bit of a disappointment.
But they do appear to have a presence sensor?

This sounds very much like my experience with these.

1 Like

A reasonable assumption on temperature since most Zigbee (and Z-Wave) sensors have them nowadays, but I suppose for the price it's not a bad compromise. :slight_smile:

The "presence" thing you see is related to the community driver you're using. Markus, that driver's author, does this with most of his Zigbee drivers: if they're "offline" (don't seem to be checking in on the network with the expected frequency or haven't sent any messages lately), they get marked as "not present." It's a creative way to exploit an existing standard Hubitat capability to display this information, which you'd otherwise have to more or less guess at based on the "Last activity at" device data (which I should note will not work for that purpose if you do this, since the driver generating events like presence will also cause that to update). Mine seem a bit aggressive at going "not present" with this driver even when they're working fine, but I haven't noticed any (real) problems with either this driver or the built-in Hubitat driver that now exists, too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explantion. It makes sense to me now. I was wondering why it would need a presence sensor.
I will see how this driver goes and try the built-in driver if any issues.

Yes its a good price.
I could have got it a lot less (half-price or less) if I was prepared to wait until the new year.
I see they have the SONOFF SNZB-02 ZigBee Temperature/Humidity Sensor on Amazon for less than £7, but with new year delivery. I will order one of these as it states rated for -10C so should be good for outside too (it will be sheltered from the rain).

Edit: This (SNZB-02) arrived today. 6 days from China, very impressed.
Being Zigbee it paired instantly.

The temp and humidity sensors were also a huge pain to join, but unlike the motion sensors, they have been flawless since then.

1 Like

This wasn’t due to arrive until late in the month or the new year. It a Festivus miracle! Or is it? :thinking:

We’ll start with feats of pairing.

[Update]
Pairs easily (Lucky channel 13! :wink:). Hold for 3 sec, light under the lens flashes one long. No need to press the pairing button again. Just leave it and it flashes a few short flashes before being added as Generic Zigbee Motion Sensor (no temp).

But, it didn’t respond and had no battery status. I’ve seen this before with other devices. Typically it happens when a device fingerprint is unknown (which is not what’s happening here). Usually pressing Configure sends the parameters and it’s all good. That didn’t work here.

When a driver doesn’t have a Configure button and the device is unresponsive, the fix that has worked many times for me is to join the device again without removing the driver from HE. It’s found again under the same name because it’s already in the database and very often starts working.

That was the fix here too. After the second pairing, it showed Battery in the Current States, which it did not show before. But still didn’t register motion. However, I have had the same experience with the Konke motion sensors. It has to first have the hardware timeout period with no motion before it will show the inactive status. Once that occurs you get Active motion detection when you’re in front of the sensor.

[Update 2]
This seems to be just as sensitive as the SmartThings (Samjin) motion sensor, but with the disadvantage of not having temperature, and the the bonus of not needing an expensive CR2 battery (which is interesting because Samjin lists those sensors as using the same 2450 battery that most of these newer sensors use, but not the SmartThings version).

Range is short. When I move this sensor to the far end of the house, it stops responding. So this will be my living room motion sensor, close to the hub.

2 Likes

Yes, good little sensor and I agree range is short. Much more than 2 metres and mine stops detection. I am using it on an outside security light for front-door entry and works well for this (so far).

Thanks! Your explanation helped me out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another possible "trick" for paring these. Along the lines of not-sure-if-this-was-the-issue-but-it-works-now:

Be sure the arrows on the inside cover and the the device align.

When opening up the device, you'll see two arrows molded in the plastic. After I noticed them and had them aligned, things worked. The cover can go on without them aligned, and frankly it doesn't LOOK like it should matter from what I see in the physical structure of the pieces that go together. But ... :man_shrugging:

Before this, I did do all these other things to no avail:

• switch zigbee channels
  • reboot hub
  • remove battery (and wait)
  • simultaneous release and pair

All good so far!

Hiya Sonoff motion detector fans

Love the motion detectors (SNZB-03) when they are working. They are soooo much less expensive than other options they are hard not to love!

I have had challenges with them staying connected to the hub. So, brought one indoors (yes, they are protected and dry) and could not get the damned thing to pair. Tried all kinds of suggestions from this thread. No joy.

Then, I had a brain breeze (not big enough to be a storm) ...
I plugged in a Sylvania Smart+ wall wart (plug) into an outlet (Model 72922-A) in the room where I was trying to pair the Sonoff. It is about 6' away.

Bingo! I'm as happy as a pig in warm manure.

There is a lesson here? The signal was too weak to pair.

Now I gotta figure out how to improve the signal on that side of the house.

Good luck. Hope this helps someone searching for a solution!

I had problems with this device and it was that the battery slot wasn't close tight. Happen to me several times.