Centralite Zigbee 4200-C plug/outlet will not pair with C8 Hub

Hub: C8
Version: 2.3.8.133

I've got a few Centralite Plugs (model 4200-C) that will not pair with my C8. This is not the cube. This is the horizontal slim one:

I have used these with previous hubs without problem (2 different c7 hubs). I have reset them all (confirmed with blue/orange flashing light now when attempting to pair).

The C8 just will not pair to them.

I even tried doing this in the same room, a mere 10 feet from the hub, just to remove that as a possible issue.

Existing plugs of the same model that were paired with my C7 and moved to the C8 are working fine. It is only for trying to pair new ones that this is failing.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

No - it most certainly is supported. Zigbee 3.0 is backwards compatible with ZHA 1.2. It is not compatible (for pairing) with the zigbee version used in Iris V1 devices.

Interesting. But since these are not the cube old iris ones, they should be fine right?

Driving me crazy right now. I'd like to not have to buy replacements.

Have you tried any of the alternate pairing methods that will be available if "regular" pairing fails? I have a couple of these on my C-8, so they can at least pair, though there must be something unqiue here why they won't, and maybe one of these will help.

1 Like

Yes I have tried both to no avail. I have tried 2 of the plugs and both fail. I have 4 unpaired in total but stopped trying all after 2 failed pairing.

Lowes Iris had at least two generations if smart outlets branded with the Iris name.

The first one, a v1 Iris device, will not pair with the C8/C8-Pro due to the changes in the Zigbee radio chip and software stack on these newer hubs (i.e. Zigbee 3.0.)

Here is an example of an Iris v1 smart outlet that does pair with a C8/C8-Pro

The Iris v2 devices, were manufactured by Centralite. These devices all work fine with Hubitat hub from the C3 through the C8-Pro. I have a house full of Iris v2 outlets, leak sensors, motion sensors, and contact sensors. They are working great on my C8-Pro hub.

Here is an Iris v2 3210-L smart outlet

Iris v2 Motion Sensor

Iris v2 Contact Sensor

Iris v2 Leak Sensor

There were also some Iris v3 devices produced, just before Lowes decided to shut down the Iris platform. The Iris v3 devices should also work fine with all Hubitat hub models.

It is curious that your Centralite 4200-C Zigbee outlets are not pairing with Hubitat... :thinking: I don't have any of those on hand to test with, unfortunately.

1 Like

Don't own any of these, but do own many of the v2 3210-L's. Getting them to factory reset can be tricky and if I remember correctly, there were a couple of different ways to do it based on the firmware.

Maybe confirm they are actually factory reset?

I've not actually used this ZigBee Pairing Helper but I did read about it. :wink:

1 Like

These are pretty simple to reset. You just have to hold the power button while plugging them in and don't release the button until the light turns on.

Then when you hit the power btn again to turn it on, the light flashes blue then orange repeatedly (which is pairing mode).

All of my plugs are able to be reset fine and are in pairing mode when I'm attempting the pairing.

Centralite manual

2 Likes

The hard part to reset on the old 3210-L outlets was their Z-Wave repeater. It required some rapid button pressing a specific number of times. I have long ago abandoned that portion of the 3210-L. Resetting the Zigbee portion is trivial, just hold the button while plugging the 3210-L into the wall.

2 Likes

Long shot, but try this. Start pairing on the hub, activate pairing on the plug next, wait about 25-30 seconds, and while the hub is still in pairing mode-restart the pairing process-on only the plug.
While doing all this, keep the plug as close as possible to the C8.

Finally got around to trying this. Unfortunately it didn't work either.

At this point I'm going to call it a failure and just assume the C8 broke pairing for these plugs. Sucks.

Guess I'll go buy some new sengled or other zigbee plugs to replace these.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions from everyone.

Maybe a long shot, but I ran into an issue with a GE branded Zigbee plug (I posted abut it here ) which, during initial join, only scans channels that are part of the "preferred channel mask" that is part of the HA 1.2 spec (Channels 11, 14, 15, 19, 20, 24, and 25).

My C-3 uses channel 18, and attempts to join this plug will always fail because the plug's radio doesn't include ch 18 in its channel scan when in join mode (though once joined using one of the preferred channels, it's capable of switching to ch 18 and operating perfectly if the hu'bs Zigbee operating channel is subsequently changed via Zigbee settings). I wound up temporarily setting my C3 to one of the preferred channels, joined the plug, and then switched the hub back to Ch. 18 (the plug followed the channel change back to 18 and has been operating without issues since).

3 Likes

I have a couple of these on my C8, and they have paired to it without issue.

Not saying your problems aren't real, I've have Zigbee issues on my C8 that were specific to my setup as well. Just wanted to note that they can work with the C8 line.

My C8 is on Zigbee channel 15, power level 8, FWIW.

2 Likes

I just checked and my C8 is using channel 20, which seems to be in the range of the HA 1.2 spec you cited.

So I don't think that is the issue,right?

I'll try channel 15 and see if that works.

1 Like

When you change channels your existing devices will need to reconnect and that can take a little while sometimes. Just making sure you're aware of that. In some cases I've had some repeaters I've had to unplug and plug in again to get them to reconnect.

Also depending on your local 2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi environment and any other Zigbee controllers you have in your house, 15 may or may not be a great channel for you. :man_shrugging:

Hm. But could I change to 15, attempt the pairing, and regardless of success or fail I could revert it back to 20 no?

Would the existing devices that were all running on 20 just ignore the 15 change if it was quick?

Technically yeah you can do that. I'm not sure it's a great idea though, to flip your Zigbee network back and forth between two channels quickly. Outside my pay grade, but might not be a great idea. @ogiewon @Tony @kkossev may know more about that.

I have done that, and it was the only way to get a couple Zigbee devices I have to pair.

1 Like