Cant remove zwave node

Yes since you didn't remove the from hubitat prior to re pairing them, they won't pair properly again. At this point like I said above, if those are the only devices, go to settings>>z-wave details and reset the z-wave radio. Then factory reset the switches prior to re pairing.

I appreciate that. Sorry, there are more switches than three. The three giving me trouble are all located at the outdoor gazebo.

They were working great with perfect mesh and then just lost connection. He has a C8, I did all the install work. Why do you think they fell off?

I know there have been some Zwave radio issues, but after reading I checked his hub and his radios have never turned off like mine which cycle. And I think I know that its something to do with 3.0 or a device as mentioned in other chats.

At this point though with 6 ghosts the mesh is trashed. I would attempt to remove them. (click the refresh button on each ghost line then click remove), If they won't remove you will need a z-wave stick to remove them to avoid redoing everything

1 Like

Thank you. It looks like there is a download for Mac and it will work. Is there a better stick that is recommended for success? I see the ones mentioned but just wanted to ask preference.

1 Like

You will have to run paralells and then install a demo copy of windows 10/11 (free), The z-wave controller plug in for the si labs software is not available for Mac... If you have an Mx chip, you can install the arm version of windows 10/11. All in all removing ghosts takes about 5 mins. Any z-wave stick will do...

1 Like

There is a lesson here, without intent to criticize. Being a nice guy can lead to long term misery. If a friend, neighbour, or family member wants to get into HA, lead them to documentation, and let them read and learn. Then guide them toward exploratory discovery. Be a teacher, not a doer. Best regards for your compassion, DHD. Good luck.

3 Likes

I did not read all the other posts below yours in their entirety but largely they looked to be misleading advise.

I would NOT exclude them at all. They are already included and as soon as they are in range they will continue to work fine. On my test hub I can power off devices for weeks, and power them back up and they work fine. The device will not forget its pairing, it will keep trying to communicate until it finds a path to the hub.

You could possibly just add a single repeater half-way and then flip the switches a few times for them to find a new route. Or you may need to flip the breaker off/on to reboot them.

Moving and/or excluding the devices would be a bad idea and a last resort.

EDIT: I read some more of the posts and it sounds like you possibly already did too much damage before asking the questions, so you may need to exclude/include to get them working again. But you still should not have to move the devices to do so, you just need a repeater.

Those are insightful words of wisdom I am learning. I had such success with my C7 and then encouraged him to pick up a C8 and it will be easy. Ha.. Every step of the way has been like walking backward. I test everything at my house which is a mirrored flip, and it works fine. Then I get to his house and it takes me too long. Luckily I can access his wifi from my house and complete tasks. I am forever handcuffed.

Thanks again for that positive feedback.

2 Likes

When I did a wholesale transfer of devices off Vera and onto an HE C-8, I ended up with issues on outside-the-house Z-Wave outlets not pairing with the C-8, however, I was successful pairing them with my C-7. And that is how I left them. Both HEs are part of my network, with 6 devices on the C-7, and 78 devices on the C-8. Overall control is by way of XTension, a macOS HA manager, which I have been using for 25 years.

Does anyone have any ideas of anything else to try to remove this ghost node?

This node was caused by a GE Zwave Smart Switch (Model - ZW4005) that died, so there was no way to exclude it. I then added a new one and swapped the device. Since then I have been trying to remove the ghost of the old one. I have tried all the usual suggestions... shut down the hub, unplug and reboot. Refresh, Remove, Refresh Remove... etc. I have also used the Zooz Zwave stick and was able to remove the node from PC Controller, but I still cant remove the node from the Zwave device list in Hubitat.

Any ideas?

Is has neighbors showing, so you cannot remove it using the tools on the hub itself.

If you removed it using PC Controller, it 100% would have removed it from the hub. Possibly would need to shut down and unplug the hub for 30 seconds to restart the radio.

Are you sure you removed the correct node using PC Controller? It would have been node 22 (decimal). PC Controller shows the nodes in decimal, so if you removed node 16 from PCC that would be node 0x10 (016) on the hub.

So, I have tried shutting down the hub and leaving it unplugged for a bit and when I reboot it still shows the ghost node. I have then again tried Refreshing and Removing the device with no luck.

Yes, I am sure I removed node 22, in the PC Controller. Please see attached pic, which shows node 16 is there but 22 is gone.

I am really stumped on this, as I have usually been able to remove them in the past. This happened just a couple months ago and the Zooz Zwave Stick worked and removed the devices with no issue, in both PC Controller and Hubitat.

Capture2

Exclude the USB stick, reset it, then pair it again to the hub. Then remove the node again. I am thinking it was not connected to the hub when you tried to remove and it only removed it from the sticks mesh, not sharing it back to the main controller (HE).

Success!

You were correct, thanks so much!

1 Like

He knows a lot...some of us are concerned he is a new AI. :wink:

Adding this scenario to the UZB stick topic. Good stuff.

Yeah, hopefully this documented scenario may help prevent someone else from throwing their hub across the room. :laughing:

1 Like

LOL... good call.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Z-wave crashing and backups fail

Please read this: ‼ READ FIRST - Before Posting in Get Help

Then make a new topic if you need help with Z-Wave