Z-wave crashing and backups fail

This page has left me exasperated and ready to throw my Hubitat hub in the sewer.

I'm having the same problem with a ghost ZW device that I cannot remove, and then I read this! Now I need to buy a Windows PC and a Z-wave stick before I can remove the ghost device that is causing my whole Z-Wave network to suck.

There has to be a better way. What I read here will take days and hundreds of dollars just to remove a malfunctioning Z-Wave device.

I have an Aeotec Siren Gen5 that has wreaked havoc with my Z-Wave network. I cannot exclude it, I cannot include it. I have forced removed it, and yet it continues to show up under my "Z-Wave Details" page.

My Z-Wave network constantly crashes with all nodes failing to repair.

Is there no solution that doesn't require buying a PC and a Z-Wave stick and learning to use them?

1 Like

I doubt all that is being caused by a single ghost node.
Yes, force remove just removes the device from the hub, not the z-wave radio.

1 Like

Your right. I don't know for sure what has caused this to happen. But it seems to revolve around one Z-Wave device that I can't remove although it's no longer physically connected to my Z-Wave network in anyway. The device is removed entirely from the premises.

How do I go about finding the solution? If this one device is the only one that will not work and cannot be removed by any means I know about or can find, shouldn't I get it removed before doing anything else? If not, how should I start?

At the moment, I can't even keep my Z-Wave radio running. This means I can't even exclude devices.

Cloud backup is toast.

I saw where someone said that local backups don't include radio, whatever that means in regards to restoring from a local backup. Do you think I could restore from older cloud backup even though backing up to the cloud does not work? Do you think it would be possible to restore from a local backup and it least go back to when things were working, or at least not as bad?

@scott.sr I moved your post to a new thread.

Lets start with some basic info:

1 Like

Also, follow the instructions regarding “zwave crash” on this page How to Troubleshoot Z-Wave | Hubitat Documentation

Shutdown is your friend here.

Shut down the hub and un plug then wait and repower. Go to z-wave details refresh and remove the ghost.

If it doesn't work again shut down and repower.

Once it works shut down and repower.

The z-wave chips are crap since 700 the firmware is old and crappy we should be updating the firmware but the new firmware might also be crappy. So the best way is to keep shutting the hub down when doing anything that locks up the z-wave chip. It's the only way to reboot the problem part of the hub which is the z-wave chip and firmware.

I too have been plagued for months with the same identical problems.. all cloud backups gone missing, z-wave table disappears, interface with google home completely goes offline and the infamous ghost-nodes that will not go away.. version x.x.8.132 finallly seems to be stable and things have calmed down a bit.. i was somewhat skeptical about doing a complete power-down, waiting then repower because of the missing z-wave table but it does, at least temporarily, resolves some issues.. another side-note: go to devices in logs and check for excessive/extreme activity.. i found that 4 of my samsung tv's were just pegging the system with activity.. got a github driver update and extended the reporting frequency.. what a difference yet the hub only ever once reported extreme conditions but actions were seeming either delayed or ignored.. also check your past logs for warn messages and try and correct the reported errors.. may i also state that some of the recent experienced problems are due to hubitat's site either being unreachable or non-responsive according to my router..

I too have been ready to chuck the whole system in the trash and look elsewhere.. I think the developers need to address current/existing problems before looking to modify/upgrade the capabilities of hubitat..

Thanks for your moving the thread and reminding me of the background info needed.

When I initiated this thread I was under pressure to get a lot of things done at once. Although I am frustrated with Hubitat about not having an easier way to deal with wayward Z-Wave devices, I'm not abandoning Hubitat. I love it when it works. But these complicated problems that suddenly show up at exactly the wrong time are a real pain.

I am making progress just working my way through this myself. I will get back here and follow up with all the details, but right now I have too much to do in too short a time.

Update coming.