C-5 to C-8 hub migration failure "Internal error occured while restoring backup"

Trying to migrate from a C-5 to C8. Every attempt the hub migration continues to fail.

Hubs:
C-5 -> C8
After each failure I have performed a soft reset on the NEW C-8, which then reboots asking aboutn migrating hubs. The hub is identified as being registered to my account.

After soft reset I can see the backups of my C-5 when logging into my C-8.
I disable integrations on the C-5.
I then shut down the C-5.
Once the hub shuts down, I unplug the C-5.
I then start up the C-8 hub.
Once it restarts, I select the backup for migration, then select the components to migrate.
I select Z-wave, zigbee, and file manager.
After a few minutes I get a screen that the migration failed with the error "Internal error occurred while restoring backup".

I have seen reference to failures like these if you have special characters in your email address, although I suspect that has since been patched. I do have "." in my email address, but no "_".

At this point I have reverted back to the C-5 and everything is working. Before I break the house again, hoping someone else has had a similar experience. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I would take a fresh backup then try again. Make sure that the C-8 is connected to the cloud updated to the latest version. Also, before you create the cloud back-up, ensure that both radios are functional on the old hub. If the issue persists, please send me a private message along with the MAC address of both hubs.

I have the exact same issue. C5 to C8.

The email used has 22 characters including the .com. only numbers and letters in the name. Same for the password. I have been trying various things. moving the hubs to different network ports, and different backups. Removed all apps and anything related to the need of network attached devices too.

At a loss. Please let me know what worked here as I am following for sure!

See this post:

3 Likes

It's not you, it's us. Also the error is misleading, as the backup partially restores but one of the radios fail. Our engineers are working on fixing both.

2 Likes

Will you post to this thread or somewhere else when this is fixed?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Do you have an ETA for the fix?

1 Like

Next release, most likely.

2 Likes

Yay, waiting on this as well to finally move from my C5 to C8!

2 Likes

I feel better now... thought it was just me! Wish I found this thread a few hours ago. :frowning: But it was a learning experience.

Thank you for looking into it! Will follow this thread for updates.

1 Like

Do we know if going from C-4 to C-8 is affected as well? I was planning to restore C-4 backup to my newly arrived C-8.

I really wish I had found this thread earlier before trying multiple times to migrate from C5 to C8. I tried deleting files stored on the hub, removing custom device drivers, messing with network config (DNS and IP allocations) in case that was causing an issue.

Why is there no mention of this in the "How to migrate to a C-8" documentation? That would have saved quite a few of us hours of wasted effort.

3 Likes

Looks like moving from C-4 to C-8 is not affected. Restored backup, re-added Zwave an Zigbee devices and all is good.

1 Like

This would have been sooo helpful to know before spending so much time trying to migrate. Uggg.

2 Likes

Right. As this is a known issue to Hubitat support I have no idea why this isn't mentioned in bold at the top of the "how to migrate to the C8 page".

2 Likes

@bertabcd1234

I've added a note to the top of the page.

I do suggest using the forum, specifically the News and Updates category, for news and updates rather than the documentation (as well as a place you can get help before spending hours trying on your own), but this kind of thing seems worth mentioning. Thanks!

Thanks, hopefully that will help others.

I did use the forums as well as documentation when trying to trouble shoot this but as there have been a number of migration issues (email addresses with underscores etc) this recent specific problem wasn't high up on results via the search function so I didn't find it until I'd tried a number of things suggested in other posts.

1 Like

It was reported in another post that down grading the source hub to 2.3.5 worked around the issue: Can't Get Cloud Backup to Work for C8 Migration - #7 by Matts

Use this endpoint to download the latest 2.3.5 to the hub
HUB.IP/hub/advanced/downloadPlatform/235

Then from the diagnostic tool use the Install Previous Version button to install it.

3 Likes