C-5 to C-8 Migration Failed

I'm trying to migrate from a C5 cloud backup to a C8. Both are running 2.3.6.146. Every time I try, after a long wait, I get an "Internal error occurred while restoring backup" error.

Any tips?

Here's what I did to start with:

1. Backed up the C5 using the C8 cloud backup option (ensuring locks were unencrypted). Then shutdown the C5.
  2. Plugged in the C8 using the same IP the C5 had been using. Then ran the migration in the onboarding flow. It failed.

Other steps I tried:

• Updating the software on the C8 (it hadn't been updated to 2.3.6.146 when it first onboarded me. Migration failed again after that.
  • Connecting the C8 to a different IP over wifi, then disconnecting the ethernet. Migration failed.
  • Reset by pressing the button on the bottom of the habitat. After restarting I saw all of my devices, but the Zwave section in Settings was empty. I tried to migrated again - it failed.
  • Soft reset through the UI (using the :8081/?fullui endpoint). Migration failed after that too.
  • I tried migrating without copying Files - that failed too.

I really have no insight into why it is failing or what to do next. Initially was bought a C7 thinking I'd migrate from a C5 to C7, but then seeing how tricky that migration was due to loosing both Zigbee and ZWave devices I opted to buy a C8. Apparently it's not that easy either!

Thanks!

I guess you hadn't seen this from 12 days ago:

and one of the earlier threads from before that announcement:

2 Likes

Thank you! I did search and read a few posts about failed c5 to c8 upgrades but apparently is should have sorted by date posted.

I’ll try to be patient. This is going to be hard! :wink:

1 Like

Oh FFS...and here I bought the C8 for Black Friday and was completely unaware of this issue. So, how to revert back to using the C5 while this issue is sorted out?

1 Like

What's your situation, did you attempt migration and have it fail?

If so, unplug the C8, plug in your C5, turn on radios if you turned them off during the migration steps. C5 should work just as it did before you started the migration.

3 Likes

Ah, I did forget that I had turned off the radios though otherwise it did pick right back up and continued working. I was worried there would be more of an effort to get the C5 working again.

3 Likes

after multiple failed migrations, i came on here and glad i found the answer. but currently sitting here with my paperweight c8. Think this should of been fixed before the Black Friday rollout. Now to plug my c5 back in that was working flawlessly.

1 Like