[Beta] Wink Relay - LAN Integration

@synthesis over on the SmartThings community started taking the same approach. Not sure if he was every successful though...

1 Like

Here is the video I mentioned. I can't remember if he flashes but he showed were the serial connection was.

*Edit: it links to a xda thread where it looks like I can get a lot of information.

2 Likes

Yes I recall you having that same issue too, I have that same issue with two relays I have I still can't seem to find a solution for it. I was hoping somebody would have the edison file. I will probably end up moving to a tablet wall mounted but would have been nice to be able to salvage them and have smart switches ready to use.

Edison file is linked here.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78872114&postcount=52

If it works for you please outline the steps. They will be beneficial to many.

Thanks if I'm able to get it working I will definitely report back

I made some updates to the Wink Relay Hubitat app and the Wink Relay (parent) driver.

The updates to the Hubitat app were primarily focused on improving the device discovery process. I broke up the discovery and device selection into two different screens, so you aren't rushing to beat the time to get the devices selected.

On the driver, I removed the proximity based backlight triggers since I built that functionality into the latest STWinkRelay APK.

2 Likes

Hey @josh thanks for all your help with this. I just got a relay working with Hubitat and it seems to work great, I just have one question: is there a way to add additional soft buttons on the main screen of the STWinkRelay app and use them as switches or triggers with Hubitat?

One more suggestion for the STWinkRelay app for @josh - why not make the backlight turn-off timer configurable instead of hard-coding it in the app? Maybe some users want it to remain on longer than others. For example, I am streaming RTSP video live from a security camera and I may not want it to time out that quickly.

Also, do you accept donations for your work? I already subscribed to Sharptools for a year but I would be happy to contribute more towards your time and work.

1 Like

Superb ! Thanks for the work you've put into this.

1 Like

I made this an option in version 1.1.0 of the STWinkRelay APK which I released this evening.

If you are already on version 1.0.0 from yesterday, you should be able to use the built-in update utility within the app from Settings > System > Update App.

:information_source: For anyone on an older version, refer to the instructions in this post.

This version includes the following improvements:

• Added a Motion Only option for the backlight trigger
    • Someone reported that their touch screen was wonky and potentially reporting ghost touches
    • :warning: Make sure to set the Proximity Threshold to a reasonable value.
      If you get stuck, you'll either have to put your finger directly on the sensor to trigger a high proximity value, use the screenBacklightOn() command on the device in Hubitat, or factory reset.
  • Added a Backlight Timeout option which can be used to set how long the system waits before it turns the backlight off (in seconds).
4 Likes

I appreciate it! That's the best way to support things - by paying for my full time job so I have the time to support projects like this! :smiley:

As an added benefit, you get an awesome dashboard!

4 Likes

First post as a new Hubitat user... Obviously came from Wink since I'm posting here, but the transition was super smooth and I didn't have a single issue. I moved my Wink Relay over last and every question I'm come across @josh has provided a solution for in this thread. Finally, at the end of it all I thought "Ughh, would be nice to have a basic app in place while I spend weeks tooling with a usable dashboard." Scroll to the bottom and THERE it is. 1.1.0 is working nicely... thank you @josh

3 Likes

Has anyone been able to find a working web browser that runs on Android 4.3 that properly displays a Hubitat or Sharptools dashboard?

I tried building a simple browser into the STWinkRelay app, but put it on hold after running into countless issues with it.

The built-in WebView that ships with the device is so old that it doesn't support most modern encryption standards... which means that it can't load many secure sites. Even after I shimmed in a number of cipher suites and got the basics to load, sites ran terribly slow within the embedded browser.

That being said, I still have an old version of Chrome (62) loaded on it from when I rooted these nearly 2 years ago and it seems to work alright. It's a bit sluggish switching between dashboards and with some of the animations, but it might work for you.

I have been using Firefox. It works really well when using the dashboard link - that ensures that the left menu bar and bottom information is not displayed. I haven't yet found a way for the address bar to be hidden though...

Are you able to have it hide the address bar / go full-screen?

SharpTools has a feature built-into it which calls the fullscreen API on the browser enabling it to go full screen.

Would you happen to have a link to that old Chrome APK that one might be able to grab?

You could try APK Mirror - Chrome 62 (armv7)

I had Chrome 62 running on my Relay... I think Chrome 72 was the last version that supported Android 4.3, but I haven't tried installing a newer version.

4 Likes

Has anyone gotten this root method to work lately? I can follow all of the steps up until obtaining root access. I have tried 3 or 4 different versions of KingRoot, but they all have the same issue: While trying to obtain root, it will think about it for a while, then throw a network error and say "failed to acquire cloud issued root strategy", though I can confirm thru my router that it is connected to the LAN (and I can use the browser on the relay with no issues). Anyone have any ideas? I have used ADB in the passed to root mobile phones, so I'd we willing to try another method, if there is one. I'm another wink refugee and this is my last piece of hardware to port over.

I used KingRoot v4.9.6 on all three of my Wink Relays and it worked without incident. I suggest that you start from scratch, following the instructions to the letter. Remember to stop at step 32 in "things that are smart" inasmuch as the rest of that process is handled by the author's OEM Disabler. (Oh, and remember to fully factory reset your Relay, i.e., erase everything.)

1 Like