[Beta] Wink Relay - LAN Integration

Welcome to Hubitat! I moved over in November when I tried to call Wink support, and got a message indicating they were too busy... Then my support e-mail bounced back... I saw the writing on the wall... The transition was odd at first - but I would not go back!!! You'll see that the Hubitat Community is awesome! And the Hubitat Elevation (HE) Hub can do so much more!!!

On the KingRoot issue, I found that the web site didn't work for me, but it can be found in APK. (It is the one on top - the other one is just "instructions" - useless for us.) It worked on the first try. But like @tom517 says, be sure to do the two steps for factory reset.

1 Like

I was finally able to get it, but I'm still not sure how. The only thing I think it may have been was my pi-hole somehow blocking the traffic? I had the relay connect to the hot spot on my phone, delete cache and data, then it worked! My relay is up running great! I am officially wink free! Now to dig more into understanding rule machine and see what this thing can do. Thanks for the welcome and the help!

3 Likes

Hey guys, you're not going to believe it - another Wink refugee here.

I was able to root my relay, download this program and install it.

My issue is that with my old relay, I was able to set it so when I pushed the bottom button, my Bali Blinds in that room would raise if they would lower, and lower if they were raised.

I can't seem to figure out how to make it so that the bottom button of the wink relay would do it now with Hubitat - it seems like I could make it either go up or go down, but not alternate based on what position the blinds are already in.

I may be missing something really obvious here, so my apologies if I am - I just set up Hubitat yesterday and have been trying to move things over since.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I made a few video's on YT (techfan) on how to root it a while back and it still works today which is great. The ST-WINK app is a life saver for not having to rip it off the wall. I would think maybe using the top for up and the bottom for down via Habitat for the blinds. I think you still would have access to the relay to turn the lights on. I just left WINK last week and so far have been really impressed. The additional drivers apps here is really key on the platforms openness. Thank you everyone here!

1 Like

The problem I've had with using the top button for up and the bottom button for down is that then I can't use it to control my lights in the room.

So far, I think the solution has been to classify the blinds as "dimmers" and control them through the Google Home app - that lets me control them from my phone, but not from the Relays.

What I'm thinking is to run STWink in the background and keep the Android screen on, and add a widget to control the blinds from that screen.

My issue now is that I can't seem to run the Google Play store on Wink, or otherwise download the Google Home/Assistant app.

I've seen some solutions to get Google Play to work, but it looks like they involve Linux and some programming and other stuff that is waaayyy above my pay grade.

I've had a few requests for 'virtual buttons' on the STWinkRelay app. It's on my hitlist, but I've got a baby coming in a ~week, so I might not be able to get to it soon.

1 Like

You can create a rule in Hubitat’s rule machine (RM) app that will allow you to perform an action when the bottom button is pressed. RM should be able to directly detect the state of the blind, so you would just need an if condition - if the blinds are open, then close blinds, else open blinds. The Hubitat team have a few videos on YouTube that can help get you started with this.

Edit: fixed the link

For my setup, I wanted it to turn on an unconnected light if it was off or turn it off if on, so I just used the Simple Lightning (now called Simple Automation Rules) app to toggle the light’s state when the wink button 1 was pressed.

Feel free to send me a personal message if you would like help with either of those options.

You can also load a Hubitat dashboard or SharpTools.io on screen via Chrome or Firefox browser to allow you to do even more!

Oh, and welcome to Hubitat! I moved over from Wink in November 2019, and never looked back! I can’t say enough how great the community is!

2 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Thank you so much! The Simple Automation Rules worked like a charm!

Like I said before, I just got my Hubitat a day ago, so I'm definitely unfamiliar with a lot of this stuff - looks like I got a few hours of tutorial videos ahead of me.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Paul,

I got the Google playstore to work and made a video a while back.

https://youtu.be/yIlhpnLo0tA

Also simple rules saved me from pulling out my hair on a motion sensor only being active for an event during a time period. I tried it in the RM and failed. New to everything here, I am down to just getting my MyQ garage fully working and the Home Energy Monitor in the dashboard. The Dashboard is really my last hurdle, getting it cool looking in all will take time. Oh yea need to add 6 cameras but that's for another day. Again thanks for this thread.

1 Like

Yup! And there’s a lot of excellent information and apps within the community. The apps are really great to add a level of automation that couldn’t even be imagined within Wink. Be careful though as some apps will have an impact on the hub’s performance. Oh, and get ready to buy a whole bunch of new sensor’s and switches as you start realizing Hubitat’s potential... :blush:. Don’t hesitate to ask the community for recommendations on what to buy when you get to that point.

2 Likes

Another Wink refugee. Hubitat is great and this integration is really amazing. I have this running on both of my Wink Relays now. All of the possibilities with state variables and scripting make me wonder why I didn't switch earlier.
The instructions for rooting worked pretty much as described except none of the available Assistive Touch apps would install. An Assistive Touch app by another developer could be installed but after continuing the Wink setup, it did not do anything useful. However, I was able to set Firefox as a widget in the Wink widget setup, and use it to install the Wink Relay Android app, and used the "Remove OEM app" button. Now everything is good.
Basically, I installed Kingroot before allowing Wink update to proceed, got rooted, let Wink update run after finishing Wink setup and logging in, then finally used Firefox to navigate to the url for STWinkRelay, and launch the apk action from within Firefox.

1 Like

Welcome! Glad you are enjoying things and thanks for sharing your experience with the process - hopefully it helps someone else. :smiley:

There's a working version in the footer of http://wink.boshdirect.com

2 Likes

Just confirming that this is line 300 - 314 that should be commented out, as well as 194 & 195?

Thanks

1 Like

I have the same problem with one of mine. I finally decided to look at it this morning and played with the threshold value until I was satisfied with the result. I actually ended up with a threshold value of 1300 before reading your post. Timeout turns it off and I pretty much have to wave my hand within 3-4 inches of the proximity sensor to turn the backlight on again. Or I can touch a button (Motion + Touch).

On another note, Thanks, Josh for continuing development on this device. This is way better than throwing it to e-waste after Wink's mandatory subscription SNAFU. All the best for you and your new family member. :baby: :partying_face: :smile:

2 Likes

I ended-up adding a rule in Hubitat that turns on the screen with motion from a close by sensor. I use the device’s proximity sensor as a last resort only.

1 Like

Hello There.
I am a new and super satisfied user migrated from Wink platform to Hubitat. I have more than 12 Wink relays plus another 10 devices perfectly working now controlled by the Hubitat Hub

However, I have an issue related to the Rule Machine 4.0. I have tried to setup a few automation for the relays; in particular a couple of switches turning off after they have been activated. Using RM4.0 I have been able to setup the rule without a problem working very very well.
But, if I restart the Wink relay associated to the rule, RM 4.0 does not work anymore and I have to create the rule again. The created rule works until I restart the wink relay.

Do you know any idea why this is happening to me? Many thanks in advance.

Wild guess, but most of the time you need a static DHCP address (also Address Reservation or similar) for devices like this. It is probably "forgetting" what the address is when rebooted.

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick response. I though about that but if this would be the case, why the I reboot the relay it does not lose the connection for on and off...... just for the automation ...... wired !!!!

I don't know if I can answer that. But LAN/Wifi devices are funny sometimes. Giving them a static DHCP is one of those things that gives the hub a fighting chance of keeping track of everything.

Oh, and another quick question, you did put your hub on a static DHCP too, right? That is always recommended to prevent issues.