[Beta] Wink Relay - LAN Integration

The 15 second screen off is hard coded in the STWinkRelay app. When the screen is awoken by touch, it starts a 15 second countdown to turn of the screen. Any further touches will restart the countdown.

@adamkempenich added a screenOnProximity option to the driver code a few weeks back. This controls when the screen turns on if the proximity value goes over that threshold. I'll likely remove this feature from the driver as I'm adding a Backlight setting directly to the STWinkRelay app to pick between Always On, Touch, or Motion activated. That way the screen on/off is fully controlled from within the device and the countdown timer for the screen turning off will be reset by either touch or motion (depending on the setting you choose).

Sure, I'll take a look at it.

2 Likes

Would the options provided allow me to control the on/off by sending a Rule Machine command to the driver? I would really like the count down to be programmable if that is possible... I find 15 seconds to be too short where some may find it to be perfect.

Thanks for what you have done and are still doing with this!!! I am putting one of my Relays in my son's room so he can quickly see the temperature and wind direction before he leaves for work on his bike.

Awesome! Much appreciated!

I didn't plan on it and I don't think it will be necessary.

Once the proximity detection is in the STWinkRelay app itself, then the backlight will stay on as long as the proximity value stays above the threshold. So if you are standing in front of the Wink Relay and that causes the proximity value to be higher than your specified threshold, then it will stay on until you walk away and the proximity value drops below your threshold.

That being said, I could see a use case for being able to programmatically disable the proximity based backlight activation. That way you might setup a rule to change the backlight detection from motion to touch in the evening so it doesn't falsely light up in the middle of the night and wake you up. Then back to motion in the morning.

1 Like

On the two units I have tried, the base proximity value appears to drift with temperature quite a bit. Since (evidently) it's still heating season here in the Northeast, when the nighttime setback kicks in the ambient temperature has been dropping about five degrees. This is enough to kick the idle proximity value up a couple of hundred points and keeps the display on constantly. Adjusting the threshold high enough to keep it off when the ambient is cool will prevent it from activating when the temperature warms a bit later in the day. Unfortunately the only way the proximity sensor can be used to control the display in this environment (without constantly fiddling with the threshold) is by setting the threshold high enough to keep it off at night, and to activate it by covering it with your finger.

For example, on one of my Relays, with nobody in front of the sensor the proximity reading is about 2100. Standing directly in front bumps it up only to 2280 or so. In the early morning hours when the room is cool, the idle reading gets up to 2600. So (unless the backlight staying on at night is acceptable) no fixed threshold will work with a temperature swing in the room. My other Relay behaves similarly, but its idle proximity value is around 5000. When both of these units were running the 'stock' Wink app the sensor worked farily well (there must have been some kind of temperature compensation going on).

2 Likes

One of my Relays won't let me turn off the Backlight - it turns off then on immediately after (it just blinks).

The other one is okay, it stays off unless triggered to turn back on.

I tried disabling and enabling the "Enable backlight with proximity?" with not impact. I have also confirmed that the tresshold for turning the screen on is 3900 and the value hovers in the 1200 - 1300 range.

Rebooting didn't make a difference.

Has anyone else had this occur on their device?

The next version of the STWinkRelay app is available for anyone who wants to help test it.

Installation Instructions

Unfortunately, I lost the development key that was used to sign the app, so you'll have to manually update things to get onto the newest track (1.0+):

From the Wink Relay:

1. Open the existing STWinkRelay app
  2. Tap the Settings icon in the top-right corner
  3. Tap General > Update
  4. Tap the Get Update button

It will try to download and install the update, but won't be able to complete it

5. Navigate back to your homescreen and open the app drawer
  6. Long-press on the existing STWinkRelay app and uninstall it
  7. Open the Downloads app
  8. Select the STWinkRelay_1-0-0a file that should be in the downloads folder already
  9. Open the new STWinkRelay app and enjoy!

Alternatively, you can download things manually via a web browser on the Wink Relay (or install via ADB). Instructions are available at http://wink.boshdirect.com

3 Likes

Hi, I'm having an issue where no what I do I can reset my wink relay it always reboots to the same settings and everything. Does anybody has the factory wink software that maybe be sideload via adb and see if that helps? or anybody has any ideas on what I can do to fully reset it?

Have you tried resetting with the button under the screen while holding the top left button until a black screen with text comes up? It should have the word "error" in the middle. That is where you can remove all the settings and reload the default image (last option at the bottom of the list).

Very nice! Download the new version through the app, uninstall and re-install went well.

It asks for an "unknown" to get root during uninstall and reinstall - I assumed it was for the app and accepted (before the time ran out...)

Love that I can see the temperature in Celsius!!! Thanks!!!

Tried the virtual and real buttons and they worked great. No issues.
Tried all the driver buttons for the parent and 3 children. No issues.

The only issue I am seeing I was seeing also with the previous version (as posted in 231 above), so I suspect it is caused by something else, but no idea what... The backlight will not turn off - If I force it through the driver, it blinks to black and turns back on.

1 Like

If you are familar with ADB, you could watch the logs from the Wink Relay and see if there are any clues as to what is going on. (For example, maybe the device is sending 'ghost' touches to the screen)

Or perhaps watch your Hubitat logs to see if there are any clues there.

Yes I tried that but it doesn't reset the relay

As I recall there were two options on the reset screen (aside from clear cache). One was 'wipe data' and the other was 'reset to factory image'. Only the 'wipe data' choice would really reset the wink to 'out of the box' state and delete all the user installed apps. The 'reset to factory image' left all the user-installed apk's intact.

1 Like

Are you idioffo89 on the SmartThings community? If so, you may recall that one of my Wink Relays is in the same weird 'Groundhog Day' state. It's almost like it took a snapshot at some point and anytime the device is rebooted, it goes back to that exact snapshot in time.

I spent some time looking into it, but ultimately gave up on my Wink Relays as I felt they were a bit finicky and I preferred the experience of having a wall mounted tablet running SharpTools.io. Here's my post from nearly ~2 years ago...

Or a visual design like this:

2 Likes

My one and only relay is the same. It's why I uninstalled it eventually. There is a guy on YouTube who found the serial header on the unit and figured out how to flash the stock firmware. I'm going to try this maybe one day when I want to mess around with it again.

1 Like

@synthesis over on the SmartThings community started taking the same approach. Not sure if he was every successful though...

1 Like

Here is the video I mentioned. I can't remember if he flashes but he showed were the serial connection was.

*Edit: it links to a xda thread where it looks like I can get a lot of information.

2 Likes

Yes I recall you having that same issue too, I have that same issue with two relays I have I still can't seem to find a solution for it. I was hoping somebody would have the edison file. I will probably end up moving to a tablet wall mounted but would have been nice to be able to salvage them and have smart switches ready to use.

Edison file is linked here.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=78872114&postcount=52

If it works for you please outline the steps. They will be beneficial to many.

Thanks if I'm able to get it working I will definitely report back

I made some updates to the Wink Relay Hubitat app and the Wink Relay (parent) driver.

The updates to the Hubitat app were primarily focused on improving the device discovery process. I broke up the discovery and device selection into two different screens, so you aren't rushing to beat the time to get the devices selected.

On the driver, I removed the proximity based backlight triggers since I built that functionality into the latest STWinkRelay APK.

2 Likes