[RELEASE] Linptech/Moes 24Ghz Presence Sensor ES1 ( TS0225 _TZ3218_awarhusb ) drivers

:wink: Yeah, I get it. It's just my wife just barely tolerates automations, and would not like "her" cabinets getting modified at all.

You can potentially use this trick. Get a recessed outlet like an Arlington DVFR1W-1. Locate a spot near an existing outlet with good view of the movement area. Cut in the new box. Pull romex to the box from an outlet near by. Install a USB outlet (the electrical outlet with USB charging built in) in the recessed outlet box. Install the Linptech in the box with a short USB cord. Cover the box with an outlet blank plate. Now this looks like a blank plate and has the motion sensor inside.

6 Likes

Just glue it to the back of a single gang blank plate and say that particular outlet smelled like burning so you had to remove it. For safety...

3 Likes

Not sure how you see that working. Where are you putting the power supply? Talk about smelling like burning...

1 Like

You've put entirely too much thought I to this. I was in no way being serious.

1 Like

Hi @jw970065 ,

I am working on the 4-in-1 driver major refactoring of the code, which should allow much easier and faster addition of new presence sensor manufacturers. The devices from your link can not be identified 100%, but most probably, they are already supported. If not - shouldn't be a big effort to be added (after the refactoring is completed : ) ).

4 Likes

Are you sure? Every picture I've seen shows it where the USB wire is pointing down.

Here's how I have mine at the moment.

1 Like

The internal pictures show that the two patches of antenna are aligned with the USB and at right angles to the led/button:

The LED is just to the right of center, the button is hard right. The USB is at the bottom, barely visible.

If you mount the device with the USB at the bottom, then the 24ghz antennas are in a vertical orientation. One of the patches is the TX (transmit) antenna while the other is RX (receive.)

2 Likes

From that respect I agree with your thinking, but why is it pictured everywhere as I have it if it should be mounted 90deg rotated? It's confusing. Does everyone here have it mounted with the USB pointing sideways?

There isn't a fan or narrow pattern. Only slight differences. Shown in my earlier post:

If you look at the ceiling mounted distribution:

2 Likes

In my own testing, I have found that I cannot detect any difference when I change the orientation. Obviously the data sheet indicated which way is UP and what the pickup pattern is, but in practical usage I can't find any instance where the orientation actually made any perceivable difference.

1 Like

Highly unlikely you would be able to do any real testing without actually communicating with the LD2410.

I think in most/many use cases the difference in orientation is minimal. However, there have to be some use cases where knowing the orientation can improve the result. They promote the ceiling mount over a wall mount. It must be better to know the orientation than it is to not know. We are all capable of discarding what we know for what we like :smiley: :smiley:

In my case, I've put them on shelves while I prepare myself for climbing into the attic to get power to the top of walls. In this case, the USB cable is in the way. I rotate them 90 degrees and use the poorly designed stand.

1 Like

I found that rotational orientation made little difference, but tilt made a much larger difference. The sensor pickup seems to be pretty directional compared to other types of sensors I've played with. Tilting the sensor down dramatically reduces its distance sensitivity.

2 Likes

Geometry is funny like that.

1 Like

Two questions:

1. Based on @ danabw observations with Aqara devices, is there some agreement that putting these sensors on the same hub as Aqara devices might cause some issues?

2. Any experiences with how these sensors work with pets -- will pets trigger motion?

I think making any general assumptions based on just my experiences is a bit risky. :slightly_smiling_face: I am one of the unfortunate few who has had ongoing Zigbee issues in general on the C8. So it could be that I'm just a "special case."

All I can say is that I haven't had any issues with those Aqara devices falling off my mesh together since I move the Linptech to my C7.

Unfortunately "yes". Once in a while (but not always) my cat triggers one in a kitchen area.

I have two but only one is currently deployed. I am still thinking where will be a good use for
the second one. In a bathroom (another very good use case for these mmWave sensors) I already
have a square one linked to C7 (it did not like C8). So far it works very well and looks better.
So there is no need to replace it with Linptech.

So far, I have been able to use my Aqara devices on the same hub as these. There have been some issues, but after re-pairing all of my Aqara devices I haven't experienced any further issues.

Pets trigger motion. Ceiling fans trigger motion. Plants blowing in the wind trigger motion. These sensors definitely come with an entirely new set of issues when compared to PIR type sensors.

This is a sensor you want if you want to sense motion and small motion including breathing. If you need to distinguish cats from humans you might want AI cameras and not a radar sensor.