[BETA] A Z-Wave Mesh Tool [C7 and 2.2.4+ Only]

I am calling this feature experimental because there is not precise data to support this (at least that I can find). I am using the following rules to identify nodes to exclude for this feature:

1. The hub (0x01) is never excluded.
  2. If the device has command class 0x84 - Wakeup, it is removed
  3. If the device is recorded as a non-repeating neighbor by another devices, it is removed
  4. If the device is not seen as a neighbor by any other nodes it is removed
2 Likes

@tony.fleisher just upgraded via HPM, thank you!

I like the new "Repeaters" column in the device details view. Would it also be possible to add another column for which devices it's "Repeating". That way you can see the repeaters that device is using and what devices are using that one as a repeater itself. Thoughts?

1 Like

Good idea. I will add it to my todo list.

4 Likes

Most of my best contributions to any project were unknowingly done. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the app. It's interesting to see which devices are actually repeating. I have 3 identical devices but only one is acting as repeater (or showing as repeating). Will the app list only devices that are actually repeating or all that are capable of?

hpm was not working.. didnt find update.. just did a repair see if that fixes it.

non repeater view looks good and accurate to me. .you can easily see marginal nodes

good old
8e (zooz garage relay at edge of mesh)
97 zooz double plug (always been problematic.. relegated to unimportant role) this should have much more connectivity
3f repeater but in outside outlet.. so not surprising
4a basement lights, in box at far end of mesh so again not surprising.

thanks for this addition

Summary

1 Like

If you are referring to the filters above the main table, entries only show here that have at least one result in the data.
With no filters applied, the table should list all your z-wave devices.

2 Likes

I would really like to see this app display the Route using the Device Name rather than the Node.

Rather than displaying "-> 0x69 -> 0x47 -> 0x39", which then requires that I look up each Node to understand the Route, I would really like to see "Backyard Lights>Garage Door Opener>HE"

2 Likes

In the latest version (v0.3.20-beta released a few weeks ago), you can find this in the device details (click the first column to expand).
Example:

This is showing in the Route column for device 0x17:
mesh-details-route-sample

The repeater details (node with names) for the 3 devices in the route show in the details here:

3 Likes

Thank you. However, I think it would be far more helpful to put the Device Name of each Node in the Route column of the primary screen, rather than drilling down.

Got it. Thanks for the suggestion and explanation. I didn't put it there because I was concerned about the width of the screen and how long some device names can get, but I will see what I can do to work this in (probably hidden in another advanced option). Appreciate the feedback!

Use 3 pt characters.

2 Likes

Have been using this tool for a while and have found it really helpful so thanks!

Minor issue I noticed with the embedded (alpha) window. The Topology button goes off to the side which makes the rest of the info have less space. Red arrow is pointing where it normally is.

Also, wondering if there is any way to reset the stats like the RTT and Route changes number? Some of my devices I was bench testing and now that they are installed in the wall the stats on them look terrible so its hard to tell if they are having issues or if its just left over from testing. I also moved a few devices around.

Yes. Reboot the hub. These numbers are just reported from system calls. Note the same information, presented differently, on the built-in Z-Wave Details page.

1 Like

I've been using this app now since you first posted it on here and I've got to say THANKS! I use it often and it's been critical for me improving my Z-wave network. It's also cost me a bundle replacing all of the devices which were behaving badly. :wink:

I do have a feature request if you're looking for them! It'd be really nice to see a column with the time since the hub last communicated with each device. I have some devices with batteries that died weeks ago and I didn't notice it because the last reported battery level was far above zero. If I saw that there'd been no communication with a device in days or weeks it'd prompt me to investigate.

Thanks again for a great tool.

There are a couple of apps out there that will do that for you. I use Device Activity Check it's in HPM, It will send you a report every day of any device that hasn't reported in to the hub, in whatever time frame you give it.

1 Like

Simple Idle Alerts probably gives you exactly what you're looking for. I use it to monitor my battery powered sensors and my weather station.

1 Like

Hi Tony,
On the Zwave Topology map, are you able to label the axis ?
Maybe something better than "see's" and "seen by" but I hope you get what I mean. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

1 Like

Is there any way we could get an option to display both the Hex and integer node ID similar to how the built in zwave details page does? This is the one thing that keeps me going back to the build in page, because in some places I need the hex number and others I need the integer number.

2 Likes